X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gigabyte with bad Chemicon

Chemicon KZG don't like heat, judging by these 8 x 20 next to the heat sink
    Attached Files
    better to keep quiet and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt

Re: Gigabyte with bad Chemicon

Replaced by salvaged Nichicon HM (I know, I know, undesirable, plus they are in the suspect date range) - missing one populated as well

Underside shows discolouration beneath the processor - strange seeing this GA-8ST800 is not supposed to support a hot running Prescott or Celeron-D
    Attached Files
    better to keep quiet and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt

Comment

one word- overclocking. some dweeb must have been oc'ing that thing, and had too small a cooler.

those kz_ series chemicons are VERY heat sensitive.
      sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Hmmm, not always ratdude. We've seen these KZG's pop inside stock emachines.

Comment

well... emachines can have shit cooling. mine did... until i fixed it.

also, i was referring to the discoloration.
          sigpic

Comment

In this particular case (because of the discoloration) it looks like either some pretty heavy duty OCing or a heatsink that was only making partial contact or perhaps a dead heatsink fan that went unnoticed or maybe a bad combination of more than one of those, but what I'm saying is that overclocking is only one of many reasons for why KZG would fail. We can't really generalize and blame it on OCing. OCing isn't bad when done properly, just ask acstech.

Comment

i know. i used to oc a p3 using a crap cooler, but my fan setup was good so it worked.
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X