is this possibly a bad cap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

is this possibly a bad cap

I'm guessing this one is, but there's a part nagging me saying that it could also be glue, although I doubt that they would use glue on the bottom of a capacitor. ;p

Anyway, here's a cap on a power supply that I pulled out of a DVD/VCR combo made in 2003
    Attached Files

Re: is this possibly a bad cap

Welcome Reaper.
    The yellowish thing at the bottom seems glue, not electrolyte: sometimes caps are glued to the pcb.
    The dvd-vhs combo is a Samsung unit, am I right? Samwha and Samyoung are usually related with Samsung products.

Zandrax
    Have an happy life.

Comment

what seems? is glue man
      capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

Yes glue.
        They glue some parts down to hold them in place until the solder is applied.

Only seen glue cause problems in Enermax PSUs where they are sloppy with the glue and the glue they use turns conductive after heat hardens it.
        Ends up shorting out diode packs and regulators.

Mann-Made Global Warming.
        - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
        -
        You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
        -

Comment

oh, so I guess that wasn't the problem then. The bloody thing won't turn on, So I was guessing it was the power supply... hmm

on another note, it's a "cinevision"

yeah, I haven't heard of them either...

Comment

If the thing won't power on then odds are it is the power supply.

Check for output voltage from the supply with a DMM. If you don't have a pinout for the PSU measure off the rectifier IC or descrete diode depending on your PSU design to see if you have DC voltage.

All DVD players need to have at a minimum a PSU running all the time or a full power and standby supply to power the remote control circuits and the soft start power switch.
            Last edited by Krankshaft; 11-03-2008, 10:07 AM.
            Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

Sam-young should be okay.

Comment

Originally posted by Reaper man
                I'm guessing this one is, but there's a part nagging me saying that it could also be glue, although I doubt that they would use glue on the bottom of a capacitor. ;p

Anyway, here's a cap on a power supply that I pulled out of a DVD/VCR combo made in 2003
                COULD WELL BE GLUE. back in the early 1980's i worked for a company building military grade power supplies for unknown military app's. it was nothing unusual for large caps to be glued at the bottom. this was normally hot melt type glue and was used to make them more secure. i then went and worked for the company that made the early psion organisers (with a massive 8kb of memory if my memory is correct). all for an extra 20pence per hour wages

Comment

That Samyoung primary cap should be OK, it's not heavily stressed. However, there are lots of things that can fail in the flyback PSU, including other caps on the secondary as well as primary side, the primary transistors, controller, rectifiers, etc. If you can, try to replace the entire PSU board as a single FRU (field-replaceable unit), rather than poke around trying to fix it. The secondary rail voltages on these PSUs are fairly standard, and may include +3.3v, +/-5v, +/-12v, 24v and separate analog rail(s) and AGND for the audio and video line output sections. Full replacements are available, the only problem is the form-factor and the mounting hole spacing.

Comment

Working...
                  X