Just wondering..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just wondering..

How come some boards boot up perfectly fine with bad caps, yet when you replace the bad caps, the board doesn't boot anymore? After a run of 13 successfully repaired boards I'm into my 3rd failure.

Are some boards more flakier than others?

www.bcrelectronics.ca

Re: Just wondering..

Maybe you have made a mistake, a short circuit or you have broken a track.
    I don't see any reason why a board shouldn't boot with good caps unless something happens during recap.

Ciao
    Gianni
    "In the confrontation between the stream and the rock, the stream always wins...Not through strength, but through persistence."
    H. J. Brown

Comment

if we are talking about boards working before recap
      can try bios reset
      otherwise what equipment are you using
      capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

Solder Boy,

Also this DEPENDS on certian brand of boards, some is so low quality (aka pc chips) that it took massive pile of electros and MLCC capacitors, some are SIMPLY BAD to begin with because many surprise, surprise knowingly used rejected chipsets.

Remember, the chip makers (not intel or amd), sells off rejects and expected them to be used in low performance stuff but some of them pass it off as same as geniune item and you get issues in the end.

Still is with memory especially with generic brand and no names on the market.
        Notice many had blank chips (no evidence of grind off or painted over) and used "internal" markings on them? Sometimes ground off or simply scribbed over the original. Those are rejects. Azza, GB, etc are those offenders and most espeically seen in big boxes stores like Best Buy, staples etc.

Cheers, Wizard
        Last edited by Wizard; 02-14-2009, 06:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by willawake
          if we are talking about boards working before recap
          can try bios reset
          otherwise what equipment are you using
          Hi, my present set up is this, adjustable soldering iron, it's set 3/4 of the way to remove caps, and I lower the temp somewhat when installing new caps.

Other gear includes dental pick, desoldering pump and as of today an overhead magnifier ( thing that sits on your head) to inspect solder work.

Everything comes off the board when I work on them, CPU and battery.

Also due to the fact the humidity level is low this time of year I use my service tower as a grounding tool to discharge any static electricity before working on a board.

Worked on an MSI this morning before work, replaced four small blown caps and the board still worked!
          www.bcrelectronics.ca

Comment

Working...
          X