cap ripple not quite sure if this works

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cap ripple not quite sure if this works

I just orderd 100 of these caps and I'm not sure if I am going to get away with it.

I am replacing CapXon 330uf 25v GR series (484 ripple) its a GP so I didn't see an ESR value

with a Nichicon 330uf 25v VR series (440 ripple)

everything else I found out there had a ripple of 2 - 3 times what I needed

so what do ya think.......power on and POP or maybe squeek it by??

Re: cap ripple not quite sure if this works

It's only a 10% difference. I would guess that it will be OK, since tolerances are surely higher than that.

Comment

Not recommended but if this is one of those old Gigabyte P3 boards with a zillion 330/25v you may be fine that way. Gigabyte got away with using GP caps on those by installing MANY MANY in parallel.

Problem I do see is that both GR and VR series are only rated for 85C.
      105C is recommended on motherboards.

Going to higher ripple ratings is a good thing.
      Not sure why you'd pass on it.
      Mann-Made Global Warming.
      - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
      Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
      -
      You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
      -

Comment

well the board I am recapping....or I should say boards....are from an intermec 3600B thermal transfer barcode label printer.....and I ordered the caps before I found the datasheets on those crapxon caps.....once I found the datasheets I realized the ripple was slightly smaller on the caps I ordered but still within the 20%......and with all the board guru's on here I thought I would pose the question.

on another note.....I am recapping the board on my pc but have run into a problem.....I can not find a replacement for the 820uf 6.3v KZG......I kinda need to stick with the 8mm cap dia. because some of these caps are real close....the board is an ASUS A8AE-LE.....I'm trying to avoid both buying a copy of XP as well as buying a new system loaded with Vista.....those KZG have a real low ESR.....any suggestions??

Comment

I have no idea about the Bar coder.
          Because I don't know, I would use ratings at least as good as the originals.

820uF 6.3v 8mm with suitable specs are available in Rubycon MBZ and MCZ, Panasonic FJ, Samxon GD, and Sanyo WG.
          They sell Rubycon and Samxon right here. https://www.badcaps.net/pages.php?vid=22
          All of them show up on eBay now and then but MBZ, WG, and FJ are most common.

-
          Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
          -
          You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
          -

Comment

hehe......the 330uf 25v spewed like a ripe volcano.......the board managed to post.....but within 2 seconds of the self test.......... oh well....back to digikey

Comment

It sounds like you put them in backwards.
              There is a '+' and '-' side.

-

- Dr Seuss
              -
              -

Comment

The 'stripe' down the side shows you which lead it the '-' lead.

-

- Dr Seuss
                -
                -

Comment

not only did I check the polarity on the board prior to capping.....I checked the other caps on the board to make sure the board wasn't printed backwards like you see on the ASUS MOBOS......my guess is there is something on this logic board that is overloading those caps.....but then again I'm new to all of this.

Paul

Comment

Caps (especially a lot of them) blowing that fast is pretty unusual.
                    Sounds like a possible dead short somewhere.
                    If you can't find anything burned or melted then you might wanna do some circuit tracing and work out a schematic.

-

- Dr Seuss
                    -
                    -

Comment

Out Of Topic

Originally posted by PCBONEZ
                      820uF 6.3v 8mm with suitable specs are available in Rubycon MBZ and MCZ, Panasonic FJ, Samxon GD, and Sanyo WG.
                      @ PCBONEZ: Sorry for the question but where is FJ series on Panasonic site?
                      I have downloaded FC and FM datasheet but I can't find FJ.
                      Maybe I'm blind but seems I can't find them.

Ciao
                      Gianni
                      "In the confrontation between the stream and the rock, the stream always wins...Not through strength, but through persistence."
                      H. J. Brown

Comment

It's not on the Panasonic public site.
                        I have the doc saved from a Matsushita site.
                        I think it's intended for distribution only to OEMs.

It won't upload to here.
                        >> File Too Large. Limit for this file type is 195.3 KB. Your file is 510.0 KB. <<

-

- Dr Seuss
                        -
                        -

Comment

It's not in normal caps data sheet type format.
                          More like an engineering doc. The PDF is 24 pages long.

-

- Dr Seuss
                          -
                          -

Comment

I found a link to it here:

[It's some OEM or distributor's site I think. Main site is not in English...]

-

- Dr Seuss
                            -
                            -

Comment

Working...
                            X