Soldering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Soldering

I have been hearing about stuff called flux. What is flux used for?

Also, what is tinning?
    ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Re: Soldering

flux helps the solder flow. it is inside the core of most solders. you can also get a tin of it to spread on wires and contacts where you want the solder to flow. I dont consider it necessary for recapping.

tinning is when you add a bit of solder to the tip of the soldering iron before you start soldering. it is recommended.

you might want to read around the subject :

Elecraft Builder Resources (Click on Soldering Tutorial)
    http://www.elecraft.com/Apps/K2info.html

Apogee Kits Downloads (Click on ApogeeKits Free Illustrated Guide to Electronics Soldering)
    http://www.apogeekits.com/downloads.htm

The Basic Electronics Soldering & Desoldering Guide
    http://www.epemag.wimborne.co.uk/solderfaq.htm
    capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

Flux is a state of change.
      It holds the space time continume together, hence the Flux Capacitor, usually installed in a DeLarian.
      Jim

Comment

Originally posted by willawake
        flux helps the solder flow. it is inside the core of most solders. you can also get a tin of it to spread on wires and contacts where you want the solder to flow. I dont consider it necessary for recapping.

tinning is when you add a bit of solder to the tip of the soldering iron before you start soldering. it is recommended.

you might want to read around the subject :

Elecraft Builder Resources (Click on Soldering Tutorial)
        http://www.elecraft.com/Apps/K2info.html

Apogee Kits Downloads (Click on ApogeeKits Free Illustrated Guide to Electronics Soldering)
        http://www.apogeekits.com/downloads.htm

The Basic Electronics Soldering & Desoldering Guide
        http://www.epemag.wimborne.co.uk/solderfaq.htm
        I thought that flux gets rid of impurities.
        ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

Comment

In soldering of metals, flux serves a threefold purpose: it removes oxidation from the surfaces to be soldered, it seals out air thus preventing further oxidation, and by facilitating amalgamation improves wetting characteristics of the liquid solder.
          lol i guess i should be doing the reading. i was 1/3 right.
          capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

Then when done soldering, how should I remove the flux?
            ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

Comment

yes.some flux is corrosive.

Comment

Normaly elektronic flux should`t be corosive at all, but anyway, you could use no clean stuf, to be sure.

Comment

How about soldering paste? Is it flux or is it for tip tinning? How is it properly used?

Comment

Originally posted by ngorge
                    How about soldering paste? Is it flux or is it for tip tinning? How is it properly used?
                    If you read this thread, willawake has posted links that will answer your question. Buy tooling and practice. There are several threads here on soldering irons.

When any of us are new to a subject, we have homework at hand.

Comment

While we are on the subject of flux, what are ya'lls feelings towards liquid flux? Onboard the ship, and in my wiring mods I do, I've always used it, considering it so much more useful that the paste form.

Comment

Originally posted by Fullmetal Chocobo
                        While we are on the subject of flux, what are ya'lls feelings towards liquid flux? Onboard the ship, and in my wiring mods I do, I've always used it, considering it so much more useful that the paste form.
                        as long as it is non corrosive its fine if you need it and clean it away afterwards.rosin=safe
                        zinc chloride=not good!

Comment

Definitely clean it. Some water-washable fluxes are pretty conductive.
                          PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
                          To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

i hate flux/paste. it will only flow the solder too much in my experiences..
                            days are so short when you actually do something..

Comment

Working...
                            X