Modify USB Drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Modify USB Drive

is there any way to modify a USB to write protect it.

Re: Modify USB Drive

Not sure.... but maybe you can set every individual folder or file to read only?
    Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Comment

It depends: if your usb device is a flash drive a.k.a. pen drive without the "write protect" switch (the wide majority hasn't it), you should have the datasheet regarding the controller since most of them has a pin used for the switch.

Zandrax
      Have an happy life.

Comment

The drive that i want to modify is a Corsair Flash Voyager 1 GB,it uses a Prolific 2518 controller,i have seen its data sheet it does have write protect pins.How can i use it??

Comment

Originally posted by keyboardcowboy
          The drive that i want to modify is a Corsair Flash Voyager 1 GB,it uses a Prolific 2518 controller,i have seen its data sheet it does have write protect pins.How can i use it??
          Download this datasheet from Prolific: pin 26 is SM_WPB and pin 33 is SM_WPBIN, WP means Write protection. SM_WPB seems connected to memory chips while the latter is in the "Misc" category.
          Try soldering on such a small chip is a risk: you may damage your drive, the usb port you connect it and lose all data on it. According to datashet, the controller supports the creation of "hidden" partitions with a Prolific utility (Prolific MFG kit): try looking for it. It's likely to be a Windows tools: hidden or secured partitions are unreacheable on all other operating systems.
          OTOH if you don't mind risking damaging your usb drive, then backup all data and open it: I don't know how the WP pin should be connected nor I tried soldering on my drives, but if I were you I'd short SM_WMPIN to a ground pin or, even better, use a small switch to open and close the short circuit. If it does work, congratulations; if it doesn't and it smells burn ... controller gone at 99%. It's a risk.

Zandrax
          Last edited by zandrax; 06-29-2008, 03:33 PM.
          Have an happy life.

Comment

Working...
          X