No announcement yet.

Need a new roll of solder what to buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Need a new roll of solder what to buy?

Originally posted by PCBONEZ View Post
    60/40 is a great choice but I prefer 63/37 unless I can't find it.
    It's melting point is about 7°C lower than 60/40 so it 'gets going' a tad quicker.
    The big difference is 63/37 is a eutectic solder vice 60/40 which is non-eutectic.
    Non-eutectic solders [like 60/40] have that semi-solid state between solid and liquid so if a joint is moved during that stage it can result in cold solder joints.
    Eutectic solders [like 63/37] do not have the semi-solid state and solidify instantly so they are less likely to produce bad joints if you bump the part or work table at just the wrong time.
    That said, it's a really minor difference [couple seconds] and more of a style/preference thing than anything else.
    In the Navy we always got the 63/37 when we could because soldering in 'a room' that's bouncing and vibrating like a speeding flatbed with out of balance tires adds another element of challenge to getting the job done.
    noted. I have used both and I have seen that yeah, 63/37 melts at a lower temp... next time I need solder, now i know what to get next time.
    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
      noted. I have used both and I have seen that yeah, 63/37 melts at a lower temp... next time I need solder, now i know what to get next time.
      well, it turns out that i did run out and bought new solder.

I went to frys and bought some MG chemicals solder at $25 for a 1lb spool. it was the last spool of 1lb 63/37 no-clean they had on the shelf... in fact, most of the no clean stuff was either out of stock or close to it. (even the RA fluxed stuff was elling well).

it seems to be stiffer than the kester 44 60/40 i used to use (and still have 1.5' left of).

it works just as well as the kester if not better... the quality is the same.

may be worth noting for future reference
      sigpic

Comment

Not bad, what diameter? I like something around 0.6-0.7mm for general work.
        "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
        -David VanHorn

Comment

Originally posted by Agent24 View Post
          Not bad, what diameter? I like something around 0.6-0.7mm for general work.
          same as before, i think maybe .8mm?

I'll check when I go to my basement.

edit- it is 0.032", or 0.8128 mm. I was close!
          Last edited by ratdude747; 11-23-2011, 09:58 AM.
          sigpic

Comment

Working...
          X