Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dell Precision 3520 Troubleshoot

Originally posted by kiraro View Post
    try the dis->uma conversion if exist (fast way to eliminate graphic chip problem)remove some jumper or coil for graphic controllers.
    That's an interesting idea, but I am afraid i will need some more clarification on what to do.
    You mean Nvidia graphics might be the default during POST and might be that the board does not rise UMA graphics voltage on boot by design?

PS. According to the schematic, removing PL1301 and PL1302 on my board should do the job...

Thanks for the UMA schematic, i already have it...

Originally posted by SMDFlea View Post
    Can you check PR680,and resistance on pin 8 PU612,PU613.
    As i wrote 2 posts above i already compared the circuitry around PU612,PU613 and PU610,PU611 (voltages, resistance to ground etc). No differences except the raised PWM1_GT and PWM2_GT.

Thanks...
    Last edited by Asxetos21; 12-12-2019, 12:15 AM.

Comment

Look at Page 37 of precison 3520 circuit. i think VGA_ID resistor also needs to be moved to remake the board in UMA.

@Kiraro is right in assumption. If the discrete graphics is bad, gfx core will not rise as its bound to that graphics chip whereas when you convert it to UMA then gfx core will rise from PCH. So do try it, this issue happens on many discrete graphics mb.

Comment

Originally posted by mcplslg123 View Post
        Look at Page 37 of precison 3520 circuit. i think VGA_ID resistor also needs to be moved to remake the board in UMA.

@Kiraro is right in assumption. If the discrete graphics is bad, gfx core will not rise as its bound to that graphics chip whereas when you convert it to UMA then gfx core will rise from PCH. So do try it, this issue happens on many discrete graphics mb.
        I already removed the 2 gfx_core supply coils and powered on. 1 out of 3-4 attempts the board posted (but only 1 out of 3-4).

About the VGA_ID resistor change, now that is a tough one...

Small discrete components (single resistors and ceramic caps) are NOT numbered on this board. To make things worse, UE1 is a BGA chip, so tracing VGA_ID pin and resistors would be next to impossible. I will look into it...

Thanks mcplslg123.

Comment

1 out of 3-4 attempts the board posted-Now this could be a bios issue, corrosion somewhere,cold solder joint or even a dying pch. Which bios you are using now?? The original one or one posted by smdflea?? You can just try the other bios to be sure.

Comment

I tried them both, i am on the smdflea's second one now.

One question. I also own a Latitude 5580 with similar hardware (i7 and nvidia for the 3520, i5 and nvidia for the 5580).

They are practically the SAME laptop, with various cpu and gfx options.
            They even share the same bios update file (same update .exe from dell). The bios has all necessary modules and drivers to cover all options.

Is it OK to flash the 3520 with a dump taken from the 5580?

Comment

"Is it OK to flash the 3520 with a dump taken from the 5580?"

No, the 5580 has a U CPU ,the precision 3520 has a H cpu .The dell bios update has both bios versions (Breckenridge U and H) to cover all those models listed in the bios update title. Also they have different ME firmware ,corporate H for the Breckenridge H and corporate LP for the Breckenridge U
              Last edited by SMDFlea; 12-12-2019, 09:57 AM.
              All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

My bad sorry, i didn't clarify.

Both of my laptops are H cpu. i7-7820HQ on the Precision, i5-6440HQ on the 5580. i checked, same ME firmware...

5580 is sold with both U and H options, but mine has the H cpu.
                Last edited by Asxetos21; 12-12-2019, 10:04 AM.

Comment

i see, i didn`t know the 5580 came with both options. As your 5580 came with the H cpu yes you can make a bios dump and flash it to the 3520, but as the ME firmware is married to that PCH on first boot you will have to clean the ME firmware.
                  Last edited by SMDFlea; 12-12-2019, 10:47 AM.
                  All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

OK, after a lot of searching i located the VGA_ID resistor, of-course it was configured for discrete graphics.
                    I moved it to the UMA graphics configuration.

Now a question before i power on.

IF after all it's a graphics problem should i see POST regardless of ME corruption? Or should i take care of ME corruption first?

(i had no idea of what a pain ME firmware was!!!)

Comment

Usually it still POSTs even with dirty ME, but it may take a long time like a minute or so.
                      OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

Originally posted by mcplslg123 View Post
                        1 out of 3-4 attempts the board posted-Now this could be a bios issue, corrosion somewhere,cold solder joint or even a dying pch. Which bios you are using now?? The original one or one posted by smdflea?? You can just try the other bios to be sure.
                        Do you think the isl PU601,PU612and PU613 can be ruled out,is it worth changing those before converting to UMA ?
                        Last edited by SMDFlea; 12-14-2019, 05:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SMDFlea View Post
                          Do you think the isl PU601,PU612and PU613 can be ruled out,is it worth changing those before converting to UMA ?
                          I dont think any of them is faulty-cold solder may be. If any of these is faulty, mb will not post even after 100 attempts. No harm however in replacing them .

Comment

Originally posted by Asxetos21 View Post
                            OK, after a lot of searching i located the VGA_ID resistor, of-course it was configured for discrete graphics.

Now a question before i power on.

IF after all it's a graphics problem should i see POST regardless of ME corruption? Or should i take care of ME corruption first?

(i had no idea of what a pain ME firmware was!!!)

Hello!

Did the error resolve somehow?
                            I have also the same problem.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Asxetos21 View Post
                              I have a Dell Precision 3520 with the same problem.
                              A long search near the superio chip was unsuccessful.

Do you have/remember any hints to find that resistor?

Thank you.
                              Attached Files

Comment

See attached.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Thank you mon2!

I'll give it a try and let you know how it went :-)

Comment

Originally posted by mon2 View Post
                                    See attached.
                                    Unfortunately, the board I'm working on, is quite different...

Anyway I've done some measurements (red dot = +3.3V, green dot = GND) on both sides of the motherboard, around and under ME5105, in order to spot potential candidates.

We are looking for RE85, which is connected on one end to the MEC5105 chip, and on the other end to GND.
                                    Once found, we have to move that resistor in RE84 position.

The RE84 position should be an empty spot with one pad @+3.3V, and the other pad at the same potential of one pad of RE85.

Here are some images.
                                    Attached Files

Comment

See attached.

Remove all power. Meter in resistance mode.

Can you check with the red meter on one pad & black meter on the next pad near the yellow arrowhead -> what is the resistance ?

If it is ~0 ohms, then there is a trace across these 2 pads.

One side is GROUND.
                                      Other part is to +3v3.

Perhaps this is the VGA_ID jumper strap ??

Are there any other white silk screen markings on your logic board ?

In my database, believe is the only link to this model.
                                      Attached Files

Comment

My best candidate for RE85 is the resistor on the left side of the second image, the first over the screw hole.
                                        The empty position below the resistor is a perfect candidate for RE84 (one pad in common on the MEC5105 side, and the other on +3.3V).

Comment

Whe had the same idea! :-D

Comment

Working...
                                          X