Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Locking out alternative router firmware...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Locking out alternative router firmware...

It's 40 degrees outside right now. (Note: NO UNITS/MEASURE!!! In the US it's automatically implied by everyone to be Fahrenheit and it's wintertime not summer.)

That car went 300 miles with 10 gallons of gas. How many kilometers per liter of petrol off the top of your head?

It won't change overnight and mixed systems makes it even more confusing.

The only bright side is that most of the people who have gone through the public school systems should know metric by now (especially the people who took science classes, those who opted out will not). Alas the above examples will still blow most peoples' minds if forced to go metric overnight. And even then, people still screw up...

Sorry for going off topic... Again I wish we were in an ideal world where we can change the firmware any way we please, alas I hope there is at least some reason to this madness...

Comment

who's gallon, a u.s. gallon or everybody elses?

Comment

Yes add more confusion into the conversion, indeed it's implied that it's the US gallon not imperial gallon... and also not nautical miles....

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
          what's to learn? it's just decimal.
          10mm = 1cm
          100cm = 1m
          1000m = 1km

and such.
          No, no, I mean the math part is easy, but learning how physically big 1cm, 1mm, 1m, 1km, that's where I struggle. If you tell me something is 1 foot long, I got a good idea how long it is. If you didn't show that chart and someone asked me if 1mm was larger than 1cm, I couldn't tell ya. If you tell me something is 10m long, I don't know if that's short, long or what. Kilometers I'm okay with, because we used them in the Corps. For example, when I went to MTC (Military Combat Training), we did a small 20k hump from one base to another with full gear. We stopped 10k through to catch our breath, eat some food, go to the bathroom , and then hiked the rest of the way.

I try to force myself to use the metric system. Temperature is something I haven't quite got down yet but I'm working on it! I've been setting my soldering irons to celsius instead of fahrenheit. Overall, I think he metric system is much nicer than the one we currently use!
          -- Law of Expanding Memory: Applications Will Also Expand Until RAM Is Full

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
            just remember this:
            1foot = about 30cm
            so a meter = about 3.3feet
            or 3foot and 4inches
            Okay. I really want to learn this too. Just haven't had a lot of time to mess around with it.

Comment

Originally posted by eccerr0r View Post
              It's 40 degrees outside right now. (Note: NO UNITS/MEASURE!!! In the US it's automatically implied by everyone to be Fahrenheit and it's wintertime not summer.)

That car went 300 miles with 10 gallons of gas. How many kilometers per liter of petrol off the top of your head?

It won't change overnight and mixed systems makes it even more confusing.

The only bright side is that most of the people who have gone through the public school systems should know metric by now (especially the people who took science classes, those who opted out will not). Alas the above examples will still blow most peoples' minds if forced to go metric overnight. And even then, people still screw up...

Sorry for going off topic... Again I wish we were in an ideal world where we can change the firmware any way we please, alas I hope there is at least some reason to this madness...
              a gallon is 3.8 liters, right? So 10 gallons is 38 liters? One kilometer is what? 0.62 miles? So, 0.62 * 300 ~ 186 miles? 186 miles / 38 liters? (used a calc for the division)...4.9 kilometers per liter. Is that right?

I too am sorry for going off topic. So, I'm a bit confused from the original post. Are we not allowed to change the firmware anymore? I understand the risks of changing it...how it can interfere with other devices....however, a lot of the stuff I have electronic wise has a clause saying it's not guaranteed not to interfere with other equipment, meaning that it can in fact cause interference, and if it does, the company can't be held liable for that interference.

Comment

Yes add more confusion into the conversion, indeed it's implied that it's the US gallon not imperial gallon... and also not nautical miles....
                There's something called imperial gallons?! I know when I majored in Chemistry (for one semester!!!) the chemistry professor was impressed and a bit shocked that I knew a good bit about grams, ounces, true ounces and kilograms. I didn't tell him, but that came from my experience with drugs. Essentially, school didn't teach me the little bit of metric system that I knew, using illegal substances did!

Comment

our rulers have 12inches on one side and 30cm on the other side - makes it easy to remember

Comment

Originally posted by Spork Schivago View Post
                    a gallon is 3.8 liters, right? So 10 gallons is 38 liters? One kilometer is what? 0.62 miles? So, 0.62 * 300 ~ 186 miles? 186 miles / 38 liters? (used a calc for the division)...4.9 kilometers per liter. Is that right?
                    The math is trivial with a calculator, the point is that it takes two computations to make the ultimate conversion and not everyone has the patience to do so.

I too am sorry for going off topic. So, I'm a bit confused from the original post. Are we not allowed to change the firmware anymore? I understand the risks of changing it...how it can interfere with other devices....however, a lot of the stuff I have electronic wise has a clause saying it's not guaranteed not to interfere with other equipment, meaning that it can in fact cause interference, and if it does, the company can't be held liable for that interference.
                    It's true the FCC really don't care about one person getting interfered with their own equipment, getting broad band noise to other peoples' rights to use their equipment is the problem.

Comment

There's something called imperial gallons?! I know when I majored in Chemistry (for one semester!!!) the chemistry professor was impressed and a bit shocked that I knew a good bit about grams, ounces, true ounces and kilograms. I didn't tell him, but that came from my experience with drugs. Essentially, school didn't teach me the little bit of metric system that I knew, using illegal substances did!
                      Ha! Yes, this is the Mexicans' influence on the US most likely as they switched to metric, and the drug cartels are influencing people to use metric!

I guess this is a positive side effect of the drug trade! Alas it's too bad they don't also teach distances in metric, just mass...

I am surprised not all schools teach metric. I've been out of the public school system for quite a while and all my chemistry/physics/biology classes taught metric. In fact my physics classes only barely touched upon slugs as mass and I had to look that up again to figure out what it was a unit of. Then again I suppose it is possible to completely skip out on all of the science classes? I don't remember if they were electives or not...

Comment

that's funny, in the u.k. low level drugs like canabis resin are still sold in divisions of an oz.
                        an 8th being most common.

Comment

The math is trivial with a calculator, the point is that it takes two computations to make the ultimate conversion and not everyone has the patience to do so.
                          Yeah, I understand. I just wanted to see if I could do it correctly without needing the internet to look up anything. It'd be nice if we could all switch to just one system. Same goes for language too I guess.

It's true the FCC really don't care about one person getting interfered with their own equipment, getting broad band noise to other peoples' rights to use their equipment is the problem.
                          I gotcha. So if my router is interfering with my television, they don't really care. But if my router starts interfering with the hospital down the street, then we have a problem. Or even to my neighbors TV or something. Right? Does the FCC actually investigate this stuff?

I know when I lived in Windsor, I had a broadband through the local cable company. I had a wireless router through them and telephone through them. Every time the phone rang, I'd lose my internet connection. I contacted them and they came to look into the problem but said they couldn't detect any problems with the equipment. I ended up replacing the router with one of my own and the problem was fixed. No idea what type of interference would cause something like that to happen.

Comment

Ha! Yes, this is the Mexicans' influence on the US most likely as they switched to metric, and the drug cartels are influencing people to use metric!

I guess this is a positive side effect of the drug trade! Alas it's too bad they don't also teach distances in metric, just mass...

I am surprised not all schools teach metric. I've been out of the public school system for quite a while and all my chemistry/physics/biology classes taught metric. In fact my physics classes only barely touched upon slugs as mass and I had to look that up again to figure out what it was a unit of. Then again I suppose it is possible to completely skip out on all of the science classes? I don't remember if they were electives or not...
                            Certain science classes are electives, in high school. You have to take biology, earth science, but chemistry is (or was in 99) an elective. When I went, they did teach the metric system, but it was flawed. In math class, we did math problems using the metric. But on paper is a whole nother thing than in real life. 10cm / 2cm doesn't show you how long a centimeter is. Or 12 inches x 5 meters. You do the conversion, but you never really understand it. They're just units to you, nothing more. In all the other classes, besides math, you use the American system.

I guess now, they don't even teach cursive writing. My younger brother evin, he can't add single digits in his head (or on his fingers!) He needs a calculator. I discovered this when he was in 11th grade. I contacted the school and asked how a child could make it to 11th grade without knowing how to add single digit numbers. They said children are now required to use calculators from the earliest grades all the way threw. They noticed children scored higher on the tests when they were allowed to use calculators so they made it a requirement. It doesn't make the child smarter, it just gives the illusion that they're smarter.

Comment

I gotcha. So if my router is interfering with my television, they don't really care. But if my router starts interfering with the hospital down the street, then we have a problem. Or even to my neighbors TV or something. Right? Does the FCC actually investigate this stuff?
                              They did investigate Marriott Hotels for that time they used a cell phone blocker to force people to use their wifi... They are allowed to investigate every single infraction but they don't have the money to do so, so only if there's big money involved... but yes this is in their jurisdiction.
                              Certain science classes are electives, in high school. You have to take biology, earth science, but chemistry is (or was in 99) an elective. When I went, they did teach the metric system, but it was flawed. In math class, we did math problems using the metric. But on paper is a whole nother thing than in real life. 10cm / 2cm doesn't show you how long a centimeter is. Or 12 inches x 5 meters. You do the conversion, but you never really understand it. They're just units to you, nothing more. In all the other classes, besides math, you use the American system.
                              I do vaguely recall them teaching conversions in math class, but true even the science classes they don't really mention much of conversions, just completely use metric. However as mentioned, rulers are ubiquitous, and if a child doesn't notice 12" =~ 30cm, we have a problem. I don't know where I ended up memorizing 2.54cm/inch but yes this is harder to compute without calculators. However, agreed, for mass/weight (except in physics classes, other classes don't even make the distinction!), and volume, no conversions are practiced.
                              I guess now, they don't even teach cursive writing. My younger brother evin, he can't add single digits in his head (or on his fingers!) He needs a calculator. I discovered this when he was in 11th grade. I contacted the school and asked how a child could make it to 11th grade without knowing how to add single digit numbers. They said children are now required to use calculators from the earliest grades all the way threw. They noticed children scored higher on the tests when they were allowed to use calculators so they made it a requirement. It doesn't make the child smarter, it just gives the illusion that they're smarter.
                              I suppose long division is out too? This is indeed sad as long division is a basis for computer math and other algorithms too.
                              I recall an even funnier class that I took... "applied math" in high school. This class was dedicated to teaching math tricks(with and without calculators), but also insisted on memory. I recall them giving us timed drills on doing 1 digit x 1 digit multiplication that you simply can't reach out for a calculator. I don't recall how many people didn't finish on time or left answers blank because they don't remember the result.

This applied math class also hinted at the 6922251x8 upside down calculator trick though I don't remember they explicitly did this one in fear of being PC.

Comment

I suppose long division is out too?
                                I literally never understood that :'( and quite frankly does it actually matter when I can type it into Google or Bing or my phone or a calculator?

I wish they would teach how to think and not what to think... would be far more interesting, useful, and productive.

Comment

What's scary is that long division indeed is a "how" to think... Granted it tends to be poorly presented but the algorithm for this is the same no matter what base (binary, hex, decimal). This also shows a bit of recursion where you get an intermediate result and use that to get more digits. There's a lot in long division that meets the eye.

(I was trying to divide numbers on an 8 bit PIC at one point - which had no hardware divider. I was lazy and looked for a divide algorithm, and sure enough the algorithm that I found was doing long division, and worked as expected!)

Granted if you don't care about low level programming, then yes, still useless...
                                  Last edited by eccerr0r; 02-23-2016, 02:29 AM.

Comment

They did investigate Marriott Hotels for that time they used a cell phone blocker to force people to use their wifi... They are allowed to investigate every single infraction but they don't have the money to do so, so only if there's big money involved... but yes this is in their jurisdiction.

I do vaguely recall them teaching conversions in math class, but true even the science classes they don't really mention much of conversions, just completely use metric. However as mentioned, rulers are ubiquitous, and if a child doesn't notice 12" =~ 30cm, we have a problem. I don't know where I ended up memorizing 2.54cm/inch but yes this is harder to compute without calculators. However, agreed, for mass/weight (except in physics classes, other classes don't even make the distinction!), and volume, no conversions are practiced.

I suppose long division is out too? This is indeed sad as long division is a basis for computer math and other algorithms too.
                                    I recall an even funnier class that I took... "applied math" in high school. This class was dedicated to teaching math tricks(with and without calculators), but also insisted on memory. I recall them giving us timed drills on doing 1 digit x 1 digit multiplication that you simply can't reach out for a calculator. I don't recall how many people didn't finish on time or left answers blank because they don't remember the result.

This applied math class also hinted at the 6922251x8 upside down calculator trick though I don't remember they explicitly did this one in fear of being PC.
                                    Is the 6922251x8 upside down calculator trick boobless? I typed it in Window Calculator and got 80087355 (if you read it backwards (equivalent to upside down).

Comment

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
                                      I literally never understood that :'( and quite frankly does it actually matter when I can type it into Google or Bing or my phone or a calculator?

I wish they would teach how to think and not what to think... would be far more interesting, useful, and productive.
                                      That's supposedly the idea behind common core, at least for Math. From what I've read, when implemented properly, it's great. A very simple example would be something like 9 + 6 = ? Students, normally, would just memorize 9 + 6 = 15. But with Common Core, you break it down a bit I guess. You say 1 + 5 = 6. So 9 + 1 + 5 = ? 9 + 1 = 10....10 + 5 = 15.

The idea behind common core is good. Children are required to use more parts of their brain. Memorizing uses very little parts but with common core, you need to use your creative side along with other parts. People in America seem to have a really big problem with common core Math though. I think it's because of a few reasons. One being parents weren't really given any instructions on why we're using it, how to solve these problems, why the old method is no good, etc. When a parent has to help their child with their math homework and they don't understand how to solve the problem the way the schools require, I think they believe it's too hard for their children and stupid.

Also, from what I've heard, different teachers teach this common core different ways. There's meme's on Facebook that get people really upset. Supposed homework assignments, where the child gets the question marked right, but they show stuff like 5 + 1 = 9 or something. All I can think is either it's just fake, trying to upset people, or maybe certain teachers are very against common core and purposefully trying to sabotage it. There's also the chance that certain teachers don't fully understand how to do it themselves. How can you be expected to teach something that you don't understand?

Comment

Working...
                                      X