Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Netgear Prosafe JGS516 switch with Delta Electronics ADP-40VP PSU board (fixed)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Netgear Prosafe JGS516 switch with Delta Electronics ADP-40VP PSU board (fixed)

Typical symptoms: The switch had been powered up and working for several years and was then switched off for an office refurb, never to power up again. The unit contains a Delta ADP-40VP 5V 8A SMPSU board and the output measured 1.6V

There were 4 suspect caps with no outward signs of distress - all Ltec:

1 x 1500uF 10V - replaced with Panasonic 105C FR
    3 x 2200uF 10V - replaced with Panasonic 105C FR

I decided I might as well replace the HV smoothing cap while I was in there (100uF 400V Ltec), so in went a Chemicon KXG.

There was also a small 47uF ??V (covered in white goop) which was given the benefit of the doubt as it would have required some major digging out. Right now the PSU/Switch is working again.

Pic is of the recapped board - the replacement Chemicon 100uF is slightly bigger than the original Ltec. If the unit plays up again, the 47uF is for the chop - heck, I might do it now anyway while I'm in the mood!

All the best etc.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by linker3000; 01-06-2016, 04:35 PM.

Re: Netgear Prosafe JGS516 switch with Delta Electronics ADP-40VP PSU board (fixed)

Nice one probably best to replace that 47uf asap never know when it will go
    Please Do Not PM My Page Asking For Help Badcaps Is The Place For Advise, Page Linked For Business Reasons Only. Anyone Doing So Will Be Banned Instantly !

https://www.facebook.com/Telford-Tel...7894576335359/

Comment

Re: Netgear Prosafe JGS516 switch with Delta Electronics ADP-40VP PSU board (fixed)

I actually called it a day in the home workshop without doing the last cap - let's see if that comes back to bite me later!

Comment

Actually it's very common that it's that one small cap that is the reason a PSU like this one will not power back up after cooling down.
        Reason is the ESR of a cold capacitor is worse vs one that is hot.
        The small capacitor is used as a startup timing capacitor, so that's why it's important in only that stage...
        So if it's the same next time it has been without power you know what to do
        Last edited by Per Hansson; 04-15-2016, 03:29 PM. Reason: Added link
        "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Yeah, it'll bug me if I don't do it anyway, so it'll come out soon! Any suggestions on working voltage as it's encased in the mounting goop from the 400V cap.

Edit: Since SMPSU design is one area of electronics I've not really 'got into' in the past, I've just done some reading up and it seems that the little 47uF startup cap can be the source of quite a bit of hassle!

It looks like a 50V/63V one will be OK - does that sound reasonable?
          Last edited by linker3000; 01-06-2016, 05:24 PM.

Comment

I fixed several of these identical power supplies a few weeks ago.
            It's the small green cap that usually fails, mine had the big cap fail too.
            I have a couple still here, i can measure the voltage later today for you.

Comment

Originally posted by linker3000 View Post
              It looks like a 50V/63V one will be OK - does that sound reasonable?
              Yes.
              50V is what you will typically find for those caps, and 25V or 100V on very rare occasions.

The start-up cap can cause quite a bit of trouble, indeed. I've had a D-Link router power adapter fail like that. I changed all of the output caps and -nothing-. Then I changed the start-up cap, and voila! We're back in business again. (And probably should also mention that this power adapter wasn't my only experience with a startup cap going bad.)

Comment

Starting capacitor replaced - it was 47uF 25V

Thanks everyone for your input.

Comment

I have this same switch/psu and it didn't come back online after it was off-line for a few hours. I have inspected the board/components as best I can and I don't see any visible damage. I have a multi-meter, but rarely work on electronics.

If I de-solder and remove the c3 cap, can I test to see if it is good (with my multi-meter) or is there another way to test it?

Comment

I guess I can spend 5 bucks and roll the dice...either that or throw it away.

http://www.amazon.com/Rubycon-Alumin...words=47uF+25V

Comment

If you want you can replace the whole PSU instead, I provided some sources for it below.
                      But it is likely it is a startup cap, read the whole thread I linked and the links within

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=53745
                      "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

I've done about 10 of these power supplies now. All bar one has come back to life and are working as expected. The last one I think is down to the 3843B controller on the bottom of the power supply.

Comment

Is it possible to test these caps on the board w/o de-soldering anything?

Comment

no

Comment

Originally posted by elec-newb View Post
                              I have a multi-meter, but rarely work on electronics.

If I de-solder and remove the c3 cap, can I test to see if it is good (with my multi-meter) or is there another way to test it?
                              Originally posted by elec-newb View Post
                              Is it possible to test these caps on the board w/o de-soldering anything?
                              To answer your first question, no you can't with a generic multimeter.
                              Some have a built in capacitance test which can be somewhat useful.
                              But what you really need to test caps is an ESR meter...

P.S: https://www.badcaps.net/store/produc...roducts_id=118
                              Last edited by Per Hansson; 05-28-2016, 03:39 AM.

Comment

a cap meter can test the startup cap because they almost always drop in uF as they fail,
                                but the output caps need an esr meter.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                                  a cap meter can test the startup cap because they almost always drop in uF as they fail,
                                  but the output caps need an esr meter.
                                  Interesting. I've had the exact opposite experience for the small start-up caps: most went high-ESR but capacitance did not always decrease. Even had one from a Router adapter that read perfect capacitance (46 uF for 47 uF nom.), but ESR was over 30 Ohms. Took more time to open the adapter than to find the problem and do the recap .

Comment

I have no clue how to figure out broken electronics parts, but based on this information I managed to fix this Delta PSU in my old Netgear Pro switch (which I got from ebay years ago).

It didn't come back after a power outage and I thought if something died, it was probably on the AC side. And since apparently this starting capacitor is an obvious fella...

Desoldered the 47uF/50V cap from an old PC PSU I had sitting around, collecting dust, and replaced the Delta PSU 47uF/25V cap with it.

AND IT WORKED. Hahaha.
                                    Probably the first time that I managed to fix a broken PCB, instead of just ripping it apart
                                    Almost forgot to check for correct polarity of the replacement Cap as well...

A replacement PSU would have cost me more than what I paid for the switch on ebay... so thanks!

Comment

Welcome to Badcaps and congrats on the successful repair!

Comment

worked for me. many thanks.

Comment

Working...
                                        X