Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Samsung LN46A500T1F Color Distortion problem

Originally posted by mniemi View Post
    I did do a software update and that did not fix my problem. I also have my TV in JEITA format due to the other two formats causing solarized distortion. However, I do not how to verify what software was installed onto the TV. Does anyone know how I can find that out?
    Originally posted by mniemi View Post
    Hi everyone, I need help with my LN46A500T1FXZA Samsung TV color Distortion as well ... however, I do not have Solarized Distortion. I would like to replace the parts myself if it is feasible.

*I do not have Cable, Use OTA to watch TV, Netflix, Chromecast, & Blue Ray

TV Settings: MUTE 182 Power
    - LVDS Out format has to be set at JEIDA.
    -- If LVDS is set at PDP or VEGA, the image produces Solarized Distortion.
    - TV is set to "Movie" not dynamic.
    -- when the TV is set to "Dynamic" the pixels have less distortion.
    - Did a software Update; however I have no idea on how to find out what software had been downloaded onto my TV. (software update did not solve issue)

Color Distortion: using OTA
    - On OTA HD channels, there is significantly less noise/distortion of pixels.
    - Images with light colors (white,cream, bright blues, yellows, or pastels) do not have pixel issues
    - Images with dark colors sometimes have blue speck outlines instead of black
    - sometimes images look completely normal (no noise/distortion of pixels)
    - On non-HD channels, the black colors are shown as green or red pixel specks.
    - Images never look normal
    - channels are noisy.

Color Distortion: Using Netflix
    - Pixels do not interpret the red color correctly. (displays as pink or orange-ish)
    - I do notice kind of a "heart-beat" in the pixels.

Visually inspected MB & Power board:
    - caps are not bulging
    - caps are not leaking
    - didn't notice any issues with masking or solder but I'll have to recheck that
    - disconnected connector cables to Power board & reconnected to see if that would fix the issue, nope.
    - disconnected the connector to the TCON board and reconnected, did not fix issue.

Overall TV Never has these symptoms:
    - I do not have any bar lines (vertical or horizontal) on the screen
    - I do not have any blocks of missing/empty colors/pixels
    - I have not had any problems with my turn turning on/off.
    - Audio works fine.

**** Looking online, this problem seems like it could be related to CFLs, TCON, or Power board.
    - I was going to take a scope to the caps on the power board but I don't know how I could get a reading off of them the way they are soldered, so I haven't done that yet.
    - I was thinking of removing the caps on the power board and checking their capacitance I'd rather do that as last resort to see if something else may fix the issue.

The less distorted picture is an HD channel. The heavily pixelated picture is from a SD channel.

--- I was informed that this maybe a main board issue, if so, can anyone direct me in the correct direction on what I fix. If it's too complicated or not worth it, I'll buy the board. ---

Thank you
    Sorry, I wanted to update my post... couldn't find an "edit" tab.

Comment

Same way as I told you before, on the TV's menu system scroll down to the gear icon or the area were the SW update is and hit info on the remote when the SW update is highlighted. Should tell you, it also should have asked you when you did the update your version is xxx.xxx do you want to update to xxx.xx01.

Comment

Glitcher - how did you know the values AD measured were bad?
        OK... first of, please let me know if I'm understanding the numbers correctly according to the picture bellow... Is that the right order?

If so.... here are the values.

Volt 1 15.1
        Volt 2 12.9
        Volt 3 12.1
        Volt 4 11.32
        Volt 5 10.92
        Volt 6 10.6
        Volt 7 10.47
        Volt 8 12.61
        Volt 9 9.23
        Volt 10 6.43
        Volt 11 6.1
        Volt 12 4.46
        Volt 13 6.77
        Volt 14 7.52
        Volt 15 5.78
        Volt 16 7.93
        Volt 17 3.2

Do you have a PL for this board? Or ... could you tell me what the readings should be?

Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by Shinju View Post
          Same way as I told you before, on the TV's menu system scroll down to the gear icon or the area were the SW update is and hit info on the remote when the SW update is highlighted. Should tell you, it also should have asked you when you did the update your version is xxx.xxx do you want to update to xxx.xx01.
          Thank you Shinju! I'll do that when I get home tonight. (:

Hum, wait - when i did the update, I didn't get either of those pop-ups. I believe i just had a pop up "software updating" ... my memory is fuzzy. either way, i'll re-do it tonight for shi* & giggles.

Comment

Your gamma voltages are bad, so you need to replace the IC to fix it.
            6th one this week!
            Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
            For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
              Your gamma voltages are bad, so you need to replace the IC to fix it.
              6th one this week!
              Hi Tom66,

Those weren't my values. Those were posted by AD a week ago or so... I was asking what the values should be.

I won't be able to post my values until I get home from work.

Thank you,

Comment

The values vary.

However, a general rule is that the voltages should go up slowly or go down slowly, but not both. e.g. 1, 2, 3, 4V is OK, 4, 3, 2, 1V is OK, but 1, 3, 2, 4V is bad.
                Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Thank you Tom66!!
                  It looks like I have a bad reading on the T-Con board. #9 voltage is slightly off
                  # V
                  1) 15.13
                  2) 13.01
                  3) 12.18
                  4) 11.30
                  5) 10.90
                  6) 10.53
                  7) 10.07
                  8) 9.45
                  9) 8.87
                  10) 9.09
                  11) 11.61
                  12) 6.70
                  13) 5.24
                  14) 4.73
                  15) 4.27
                  16) 3.33
                  17) 2.51

MODULE: T-PRLAUSC-1008.0; MICOM: T-PRLAUSM-1007 MTK-DRV 2.0.90.0; RFS: T-PRLAUS-20080103

I uploaded two pictures from netflix. The blue color is when the TV is in "Dynamic mode" and the Red is when the TV is in "Movie mode."

I updated two pictures from channels on OTA. One is in HD, the black is pixelated as green. The other is in SD, and really distorted.

Where can I buy a new T-Con board? Do you guys think this is also a Main Board issue??

Thank you
                  Attached Files

Comment

Guys,

Just to wrap up my case... I finally had the chance today to try get the IC off the board using a heat gun, but I'm afraid it didn't go well. It did came off at the end, but I damaged 3 pads, and that pretty much is the end of it. It DOES have a pad under it, and is a real PITA to melt. I think it needs to be done simultaneously heating from underneath.

My only way out will be getting another T-con since I messed up this one

AD
                    Attached Files

Comment

If you want you could try to solder small wires to it, seems straight forward as to where the damaged traces go. Not an easy job, but not impossible.

Comment

It's doable - use lots of flux.

Comment

you know?... I was thinking about that last night, if the leg goes to a particular component, I could run a wire to it. I'll give it a try.

Thanks!

AD

Comment

one more question.... is it really vital to solder the underneath? How do I do that with the regular solder?

AD

Comment

Usually its done by using heat and melting it entirely. Or you can try to solder through the little holes underneath to melt the solder.

Comment

Well.. It wasn't easy, and it certainly does not look as clean as I would've liked it, but it worked!! I got my TV back!

Thank you so much guys!!, I never could have done it without your wisdom.

AD,
                                Attached Files

Comment

Nice!
                                  Never stop learning
                                  Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                                  http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                                  http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                                  http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                                  http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                                  http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Nice one, thanks for the feedback. For future reference you could note your new GAMMA voltages?

Comment

BTW, where did you get the IC from? I am collecting info on reliable source of this IC.
                                      Never stop learning
                                      Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                                      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                                      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                                      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                                      http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                                      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

I'm out of town, but I'll collect the voltages when I get back and post for you guys. Regarding the IC, I bought it from eBay at the link bellow. I probably would try a US seller though, it took about 15 days to get it.

Look at this on eBay:

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...d=170776860415

1pcs AS19-H1G AS19H1G QFP48 ORIGINAL

AD,
                                        Last edited by "AD"; 05-03-2014, 08:48 PM.

Comment

I have the exact same model TV LN46A500T1F and the issue seemed similar, though my screen has giant areas of greens and blues where his seem more just hued. It seems anywhere that requires black turns a color. Turning the contrast to zero made the entire screen green. I opened it up and checked voltage on the gamma and got the following result.
                                          1 13.94
                                          2 13.76
                                          3 12.41
                                          4 9.11
                                          5 10.24
                                          6 10.54
                                          7 11.74
                                          8 9.10
                                          9 4.32
                                          10 6.41
                                          11 6.20
                                          12 5.44
                                          13 4.86
                                          14 4.54
                                          15 4.13
                                          16 3.24
                                          17 2.47
                                          X .47

Behind the board the area around the AS19 seems to be discolored, possibly from excessive heat.

My chip is labeled as follows:

AS19-H1G
                                          B8308126

I've searched ebay and see this chip.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/100-BRAND-NE...item35ce869cde

Now for my question. Based on the information I have it would seem I need to replace the chip, is there something else I need to check first?

Also, do I need to worry about the discoloration on the rear copper portion of the board?

Thank you.
                                          Last edited by inb4tehlulz; 05-04-2014, 06:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                          X