A factory reset may require multiple factory reset operations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A factory reset may require multiple factory reset operations

After I upgraded the firmware on my friend's D-Link DSL-2544N dual band wireless ADSL modem (to try to fix a problem with the 5GHz wireless network not showing up), the firmware update looked like it was performed OK, but I can no longer access the configuration pages and the DHCP server was not running.
    I tried a single factory reset procedure (press the WPS button for more than 15 seconds on this model – my smartphone with Internet access (which this procedure was obtained online) saved the day! ), which did not work for the first time , but a second factory reset enabled me to access the configuration menus .
    Of course before then, I noted the wireless and ADSL account settings before I did this.
    After re-entering the settings, everything was back up and running again, but the 5GHz wireless network was inoperative (most likely a loose connector or other hardware fault ), despite changing the channel numbers before and after the firmware upgrade and factory reset (even though the country selection was correct for the devices in question).

I also had a similar situation with a dual-band Netgear WNDR3700 v2 bought at a local junk shop (a first for me! ) for a song, and I could not access the configuration pages (not even the password prompt), even with a wired connection.
    Three factory reset procedures later (holding the Reset button until the lights go strange), the Netgear is now working and is used to improve wireless coverage, especially in my workshop where I had problems with dropped connections due to poor signal strength.
    My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Re: A factory reset may require multiple factory reset operations

What firmwares are you running on these routers?

For future reference, a 30-30-30 reset is pretty much universally required to get a full factory reset on most (if not all) routers. The procedure is with power on hold the reset button in for 30 seconds, remove power while still holding in reset button for 30 seconds, apply power while still holding in reset for 30 more seconds.

I've had a similar ongoing issue with a Netgear WNR3500L v2 not getting to config pages after about 24 or less hours of up time while router functions are still working otherwise. My workaround has been to schedule a reboot every 24 hours but occasionally have to manually do a 10 second power cycle to correct. It is thought to be caused by a memory leak but monitoring memory usage does not indicate that. Radio on or off also does not seem to make a difference. I'm inclined to think it could be caused by something more basic like poor power filtering or EMI. I'm running DD-WRT v3.0-r27520M (07/17/15) kong firmware.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveNielsen View Post
      What firmwares are you running on these routers?
      The firmware on the two routers I mentioned had the standard stock (manufacturer-provided) firmware, and the D-Link unit was updated with an official firmware from their website.
      My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

It is recommended you should do a 30-30-30 reset before and after a firmware flash. What I'd do at this point is a 30-30-30 reset and see if that fixes the issue. If not then do a 30-30-30 reset, re-flash the firmware update, and do another 30-30-30 reset.

Comment

Working...
        X