Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advent Powerline Ethernet Adapters

Avoid these like the plague

I was given two of them, new in the box, for my own uses. I use them to connect my upstairs computer to our downstairs network; it removes the hassle of having to run a wire upstairs or use wifi, which never worked well. There are a pair of adapters, they connect to each other. I'm told you can also expand the network and add as many adapters as you like but I haven't tried it.

They worked well themselves... until 3 months after owning one, it just stopped. Died. Nothing. No power indicator, not recognised as an ethernet adapter, etc.

Open it up and lo and behold a bad cap. Order replacement cap, replaced it. Works great.

Then 2 months later (so 5 months total), the other one died... with the same symptoms and the same cap. Replaced that one too, but I used some 1500u 6.3V motherboard caps, instead of the 1000u 10V cap I replace the 1000u 6.3V original with, because I was in a rush. But it didn't fit, so I mounted it horizontally . The original cap is a cheap Jackcon capacitor in both units.

Both are in good working order now.

But what pisses me off is that these adapters died so quickly. Obviously I knew how to fix them but it is just plain poor design. And not everyone knows how to fix things. A few more items saved from landfill, but it's a losing battle.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by tom66; 07-11-2011, 04:50 PM.
    Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
    For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Re: Advent Powerline Ethernet Adapters

Yep, that's why we need longer warranties damn it!

Comment

The layout is not too dissimilar from my 'Peak' (purchased from Dabs) powerline adapters.
      They lasted a year and a half, then I moved house and plugged one in - it was squealing.
      I replaced all the Teapos in that one and did the other for good measure. Still working fine.

Comment

I recommend replacing the capacitor next to the bulged unit as well.
        My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

Originally posted by japlytic View Post
          I recommend replacing the capacitor next to the bulged unit as well.
          It's part of a pi filter but it's not subject to anywhere near the same amount of ripple so I left it in for now.
          Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
          For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

These things blow their power supply capacitors and you can probably get the power supply fixed by replacing them. They fail by the hundreds, sometimes after a month or two. The overall quality of these things is terrible, they get hot and I hesitate to use them because of the possibility of melting the plastic container and worse. Wireless is the best way.
            Is it plugged in?

Comment

Originally posted by Longbow View Post
              These things blow their power supply capacitors and you can probably get the power supply fixed by replacing them. They fail by the hundreds, sometimes after a month or two. The overall quality of these things is terrible, they get hot and I hesitate to use them because of the possibility of melting the plastic container and worse. Wireless is the best way.
              Agree 100%. They run at 75°C on the case - insanely hot. No wonder the 85°C caps popped. At such a temperature they cannot be energy efficient. However, the wifi in my room is really poor so I had no other choice, really...

Comment

recap now with quality parts or do it again very soon.
                a neighbor has a set of these.every lytic in them was baked dry or popped.their cat rests its head on the things for the heat.edit.forgot to note these things are turning a brownish yellow.they were a bright white when i first saw them.were brought home from somewhere in uk.sold in the px.
                Last edited by kc8adu; 07-12-2011, 06:25 PM.

Comment

Yeah I'm not surprised my Peak adapters failed, I bought the cheapest ones I could find.
                  I also have a pair of Zyxel homeplugs which are older than the peak adapters, but fine.

Comment

another brand name sold to the junk makers.used on crappy tv's here too.

Comment

Originally posted by kc8adu View Post
                      forgot to note these things are turning a brownish yellow.they were a bright white
                      Reminds me of my former family's PC. (IBM Aptiva P133) Unfortunately, my mom and father smoked.
                      ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

3 months? That's pathetic...

Good to see you fixed it though. And I agree with the others, you should probably replace the lot not just that one. Even if they're not critical I would just to feel better.
                        "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                        -David VanHorn

Comment

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but someone may find it useful.

I've used the Advent Powerline adaptors for years having bought a batch of faulty units sometime ago from Ebay.

I simply upgraded the two 1000uf 6.3v and the two 4.7uf 400v with superior Panasonic equivalents (but 105C rated). Worked a treat since!

Only other component to fail in these units is the IC TNY276PN which can be replaced, though a tad trickier to solder due to the 8 pins being close together.

Hope this helps!

Comment

Working...
                          X