X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Win7 updates for upgrading to Win10

Originally posted by lti View Post
    I had the same experience with Windows 7 and the same amount of RAM.
    The difference is that in Windows7 you can disable auto updates and you will never see constant 50% CPU, 100% HDD usage.
    And 50% means 1 core fully utilized(100% core 0) with god knows what, slowing down the whole machine.
    How can you have 50% CPU, 100% HDD on a machine that is doing almost nothing?
    Last edited by televizora; 11-26-2020, 02:33 PM.
    Useful conversions. I don't "speak" imperial. Please use metric, if you want to address me.
    1km=1000m=100000cm, 1inch=2.54cm, 1mile=1609.344meters, 1ft=30.48cm 1gal(US)=3.785liters, 1lb=453grams, 1oz=28.34grams

Comment

Originally posted by televizora View Post
      The difference is that in Windows7 you can disable auto updates and you will never see constant 50% CPU, 100% HDD usage.
      And 50% means 1 core fully utilized(100% core 0) with god knows what, slowing down the whole machine.
      How can you have 50% CPU, 100% HDD on a machine that is doing almost nothing?
      You can disable it with Pro with GPEDIT. Not sure about home. I think it can be disabled using 'shutup 10'....but anytime I set up a 10 system for a customer, it's always pro.
      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
      Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
      http://folding.stanford.edu/
      Team : 49813
      Join in!!
      Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
        You can disable it with Pro with GPEDIT.
        Well, gpedit options are limited to "notify before download and install". One click, and the updates start. The problem with GPEDIT is that contrary to the registry it's not easy to "export policy". This does not apply for domain connected computers, of course.
        Last edited by televizora; 11-27-2020, 10:02 AM.
        Useful conversions. I don't "speak" imperial. Please use metric, if you want to address me.
        1km=1000m=100000cm, 1inch=2.54cm, 1mile=1609.344meters, 1ft=30.48cm 1gal(US)=3.785liters, 1lb=453grams, 1oz=28.34grams

Comment

Originally posted by televizora View Post
          Well, gpedit options are limited to "notify before download and install". One click, and the updates start. The problem with GPEDIT is that contrary to the registry it's not easy to "export policy". This does not apply for domain connected computers, of course.
          Local Computer Policy -> Comupter Config -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Windows Update

'Do not connect to any Windows Update Internet locations' -> enable
          'Remove access to all Windows Update features' -> enable

Then:

Local Computer Policy -> Comupter Config -> Administrative Templates -> System -> Internet Communication Settings

'Turn off access to all Windows Update features' -> enable

Then run shutup 10 and disable all.

After that, windows update is done and 10 remains silent; doesn't download anything, doesn't ask about anything. There's a little more gpedit tweaking for other things, but above will kill windows update on Pro.
          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
          Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
          http://folding.stanford.edu/
          Team : 49813
          Join in!!
          Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
            After that, windows update is done and 10 remains silent; doesn't download anything, doesn't ask about anything. There's a little more gpedit tweaking for other things, but above will kill windows update on Pro.
            Thanks. Seems like I somehow missed this information. I also found the source
            https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...as-wu-settings
            Last edited by televizora; 11-27-2020, 01:54 PM.

Comment

Actually with pro, you can disable optional updates, but security updates are still go
              Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
              ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Hello, thank you for this information, my computer, unfortunately, does not have the KB3035583 update installed, but I will download it because the more update, the better it is, but I don't know why it did not install because it does not detect it
                silent is gold.

Comment

I remember an update removing KB3035583 after the "free upgrade to Windows 10" period ended.

I wonder how long it will be before there is a "Get Windows 11" update.

Comment

If you have an older machine, you're shielded from the updates (due to their draconian requirements)?

I just filled my windows partition with a disk image used for Linux. It sure won't be downloading anything...

Comment

Originally posted by BennyPeterson
                      I tried using Windows 11, but it had quite a few problems and it kept me updating quite a bit. Is there a way to fix it so it doesn't update automatically?
                      Do you have Windows 11 home or pro?

With home you can only postpone updates for a period of time (up to 5 weeks) at least officially, with pro you can disable them through group policy. There are also a few "unofficial" (use these at your own risk as Microsoft does not support them) ways of preventing updates by disabling the windows update service or editing the registry.

https://www.minitool.com/data-recove...11-update.html

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-s...tes-windows-11

Comment

Working...
                      X