Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: A Tale of Two Dead Viewsonic VA720s

Depends on which series he sells.

The GE series is slightly better than Panny FM.
    The GD series closely matches Rubycon MBZ.
    The GC series roughly matches Rubycon MCZ.

From GE 'up' Samxons go:
    GE -> GD -> GC -> GA
    (There may be other Samxon series that I am not familiar with.)

Mann-Made Global Warming.
    - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
    -
    You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
    -

Comment

If heat is the main problem, i would considering Samxon RS, sure not the greatest ESR, but 7000h endurance rating.
      I think they should equal the FC`s in ESr rating.

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ
        Depends on which series he sells.

The GE series is slightly better than Panny FM.
        The GD series closely matches Rubycon MBZ.
        The GC series roughly matches Rubycon MCZ.

From GE 'up' Samxons go:
        GE -> GD -> GC -> GA
        (There may be other Samxon series that I am not familiar with.)

This implies the Samxon GA series is superior to the Rubycon MCZ... I thought the MCZ was as good as it gets...

Comment

Yes the GA series is an incredible product line.

Link to data: http://www.samxon.com/PDF/prodPDF_106.pdf
          Gigabyte EP45-DS3L Ultra Reliable (Power saver)
          Intel E8400 (3000Mhz) Bios temps. 4096Mb 800Mhz DDR2 Corsair XMS2 4-4-4-12
          160Gb WD SATAII Server grade
          Nvidia 8500GT 256Mb
          160Gb WD eSATAII Server grade for backup.
          Samsung 18x DVD writer
          Pioneer 16x DVD writer + 6x Dual layer
          33 way card reader
          Windows XP Pro SP3
          Thermaltake Matrix case with 430W Silent Power
          17" Benq FP737s LCD monitor
          HP Officejet Pro K5300 with refillable tanks

Comment

I can't tell is that cap is bad or good! Please get another angle of that cap!

Also, your symptoms sound more like the motherboard is failing to POST.

This can include a damaged processor on the motherboard.
            ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

So I successfully fixed the 2nd Viewsonic, actually a couple of weeks ago...

I went with Panasonic FC from Digikey since Topcat didn't have Samxon in one of the values needed in the correct size. Sadly due to a typo on the order form I ordered the wrong caps for the Elite 470uf 25vs so I ended up only replacing the known bad 1000uf cap, oh well . Here are the finished results.

It's actually an OK display, especially considering how old it is. I think the backlight may be failing however as I've noticed when monitor is cold (low 60s) the backlight doesn't kick in right away, but after about 5-10 mins of warming up it's fine. I assume thats a sign of the florescent light approaching the end of its life?

Comment

There are various ways it's implemented and I don't remember the specifics.
                Basically the initial power-on cycle gives a little extra kick to initially start the tubes.
                The caps that didn't get replaced might have something to do with that.
                - Or not. Or something else. Or yeah, aged tubes. Hard to say.

Congrats on your progress.
                It works! It works!

-
                Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                -
                You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                -

Comment

Originally posted by bgavin
                  This implies the Samxon GA series is superior to the Rubycon MCZ... I thought the MCZ was as good as it gets...

Nichicon HN, Samxon GC, and Chemicon KZJ are all comparable to MCZ with specific can sizes being either slightly better or worse between the models. (Slightly)

Nichicon HZ and Samxon GA are superior to all of the above but usually limited availability and added cost make them not the best choice.

-

- Dr Seuss
                  -
                  -

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ
                    Basically the initial power-on cycle gives a little extra kick to initially start the tubes.
                    The caps that didn't get replaced might have something to do with that.
                    - Or not. Or something else. Or yeah, aged tubes. Hard to say.
                    Yeah, when it's cold it gets an image for split second and then nothing. I can tell it's th backlight because if I can still see the picture If I shine a flashlight on the panel.

I'm just using this as a backup display anyway so I think I'll call it good.

Comment

The short burst of backlight is possibly related to an over current trip that is rest when powered off. There is likely excess current that needs to be identified. Usually there are two sets of lights. Disconnect one set at a time, this may locate a particular lamp/inverter problem.

The kick to start the backlights is quite simple. The inverters have a high voltage that is current constrained by a series capacitor. At "switch on" the voltage is high to strike the tubes and then the voltage drops away due to the series reactance of the capacitor.
                      Gigabyte EP45-DS3L Ultra Reliable (Power saver)
                      Intel E8400 (3000Mhz) Bios temps. 4096Mb 800Mhz DDR2 Corsair XMS2 4-4-4-12
                      160Gb WD SATAII Server grade
                      Nvidia 8500GT 256Mb
                      160Gb WD eSATAII Server grade for backup.
                      Samsung 18x DVD writer
                      Pioneer 16x DVD writer + 6x Dual layer
                      33 way card reader
                      Windows XP Pro SP3
                      Thermaltake Matrix case with 430W Silent Power
                      17" Benq FP737s LCD monitor
                      HP Officejet Pro K5300 with refillable tanks

Comment

Thats for the suggestion davmax, that sounds like a good next step. One that I would probably take if this was a nicer/newer monitor but it isn't...

As it is it's fine as backup monitor, it only has startup troubles when it's really cold (sub 60f).

Comment

Working...
                        X