Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: HP w1907

Originally posted by willawake
    interesting there is so much difference. i wonder if the monitor's vga circuits are poor.
    Not always: vga signals on videocard are filtered by a low-pass filter in order to reduce emi and to obtain an FCC certification.
    On cheap boards these filters (usually a series of capacitors and inductors near the vga connector) employs low-grade components, so the screen results is usually dizzy, the sharpness is low, colors can be altered and so on. Matrox cards, Ati-manufactured Atis and some Creative ones usually employ[ed] better components with stricter tolerances, so they were claimed for their beautiful images; Matroxes were [and often are] the reference for monitor tests.
    Dvi signals should be unaffected by this filter, so their quality is (unfortunately) unimportant for today's card.

OTOH, the vga cable may be unshielded and without ferrite rings, so they catch almost any interference: this was common with 12 and 14", because they had a low resolution, but is almost unique nowadays, since even low-class monitors are shipped with a decent cable.

Zandrax
    Have an happy life.

Comment

Nope, what I meant is that the card (ATI 9600, Manuf. by Powercolor and loaded with craptastic Evercon caps) has VGA and DVI outputs. When the LG was hooked up via VGA straight to the card's VGA output, the contrast was terrible. Everything looked overly bright and washed out. When I hooked up the LG via VGA, but this time to the card's DVI output through a DVI-VGA converter, it looked much much better. The fault was the card's VGA output, not the monitor. Anyway, I just got a DVI cable and all I can say is WOW. The difference is night and day. VGA looked kinda blurry, there was a little ghosting, and the picture was good but not all that great. With DVI.... wow.... a whole other story. The sharpness is spot-on, everything looks a lot clearer, and the colors seem a little more vivid. I am 100% satisfied with this monitor now. I would have been happy with either the HP or this LG, but I'm glad I went with the LG. Here's a pic (sorry about the messy desk, I really need to dust it). Any thoughts on this monitor?

Also, what track record does LG has in terms of reliability of their LCD's? Does this monitor use an LG.Philips panel, and what kind of caps does LG use? If you guys can answer any of those questions or tell me your thoughts on it, I'd really appreciate it.
      Attached Files

Comment

This monitor uses an LG.Phillips panel. Or used to at least. I guess they could have moved onto cheaper manufacturers like my Samsung monitor. It does not use a Samsung panel even thou the same model used to!

However I have no idea about the capacitors.

Comment

I read about that, how some people got a Chunghwa panel instead of an actual Samsung panel. This monitor was made in China, even though the one on display at Fry's was made in Korea I guess they shifted manufacturing of this model over there, hopefully they stuck with an LG.Philips panel. The manufacture date is December 2007, and the FCC ID starts with BEJ, so we know for sure it was made by LG. Too bad this isn't a very popular model, otherwise someone would have figured out how to tell what panel you have without having to crack it open by now.

Comment

Oh, BTW, I got the L196WTQ-BF.

Comment

Originally posted by weirdlookinguy
              Oh, BTW, I got the L196WTQ-BF.
              That's the only L196WTQ that's on the Australian website.

Comment

Working...
              X