ViewSonic VX1940w

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ViewSonic VX1940w

For the past few months, sometimes when my screen goes idle and I try to wake it up, it'll simply not come back. Restarting my computer always fixed that problem and since I'm lazy, I didn't care.

Today is different. I was using it and realized it was starting to fade. Eventually it just blacked out and turned off. I restarted my computer and after fiddling with it I got it to show, but it's a very dim display. As if the lights are about to go out.

I did some searching and apparently it's the inverter board? I can't seem to find a place that sells them. If anyone could give me some suggestions, that'd be a big help.

But I'm also considering just buying a new monitor if it's going to cost too much to repair. So I'm also asking whether or not it's even worth it to try and repair my monitor or to just buy a new one.

Also, this is a very new monitor. It's only a little more than a year old, so I'm pretty annoyed that it's already having such problems.

Thanks!

Re: ViewSonic VX1940w

Originally posted by reanimation
    For the past few months, sometimes when my screen goes idle and I try to wake it up, it'll simply not come back. Restarting my computer always fixed that problem and since I'm lazy, I didn't care.

Today is different. I was using it and realized it was starting to fade. Eventually it just blacked out and turned off. I restarted my computer and after fiddling with it I got it to show, but it's a very dim display. As if the lights are about to go out.

I did some searching and apparently it's the inverter board? I can't seem to find a place that sells them. If anyone could give me some suggestions, that'd be a big help.

But I'm also considering just buying a new monitor if it's going to cost too much to repair. So I'm also asking whether or not it's even worth it to try and repair my monitor or to just buy a new one.

Also, this is a very new monitor. It's only a little more than a year old, so I'm pretty annoyed that it's already having such problems.

Thanks!
    Hmmm, sounds like a bad science fiction movie. And you're the reanimator.

It's repairable, but it might have been easier to repair a few months ago. (Don't worry, I know about procrastination).

The first thing: What is your experience with repairs in general and electronics in particular? If an inverter is available it would probably cost over $70 plus shipping. In the other hand, if you are a victim of bad capacitors, replacement parts could cost about $10. Of course, you would have to solder them in.

The first step is to disassemble the monitor and look for obviously bulging caps. Taking pictures and attaching them to your next post would also be helpful.

PlainBill
    For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

I fixed a VX1940W-4 today.

C202,C203,C212,C213,C310 are all 470mfd 25v.
      The 5 caps were a mix from 3 different manufacturers.

C202 and C203 were TEAPO caps and had failed, replaced and back in business.

Comment

CHEAPO

(sorry - couldn't help it...)

Comment

hi Justintempler,
          can you guide me on how to open the vx1940w monitor. i dont see any screws in the back.

thanks

Comment

Sorry for bringing up an old topic, but this both happened to my Dads and my screen - within a few weeks of each other (purchased at the same time).

If anyone knows how to open the screen and how to fix it - for a basic beginner, me and my dad would be extremely grateful!

Comment

Originally posted by Tjcrazy View Post
              If anyone knows how to open the screen and how to fix it - for a basic beginner, me and my dad would be extremely grateful!
              Pry it apart like this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ul5LhuCT1y8
              --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

OK, then what do I look for? Obviously I'm new for this. Do you want me to take high res photos of all the boards and post them on here? Or just the board where the sounds coming from?

Comment

OK, then what do I look for? Obviously I'm new for this. Do you want me to take high res photos of all the boards and post them on here? Or just the board where the sounds coming from?
                  1) Describe the problem in detail.

2) Post pictures of all your boards using the manage attachments function with the following composition.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...94&postcount=1

Do not post the images inline.
                  --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

OK, I'll open it later; probably this afternoon. (British time)

Can describe the problem though.. Yesterday it started make a really high-pitch noise, coming from the back right corner of the screen. The screen then went black, like it switched off -but the blue power light still on. I switched it off, then on - the screen came back, but then after a shorter period of time, the same thing happened again. I repeated this, and then it was a shorter period of time still.

I then realised something was wrong and immediately unplugged everything.

Hope that helps. Thanks for the quick replies by the way! What part of Canada you from? My flatmates Canadian!

Comment

OK, I'll open it later; probably this afternoon. (British time)

Can describe the problem though.. Yesterday it started make a really high-pitch noise, coming from the back right corner of the screen. The screen then went black, like it switched off -but the blue power light still on. I switched it off, then on - the screen came back, but then after a shorter period of time, the same thing happened again. I repeated this, and then it was a shorter period of time still.

I then realised something was wrong and immediately unplugged everything.

Hope that helps. Thanks for the quick replies by the way! What part of Canada you from? My flatmates Canadian!
                      Classic description of 'Two Seconds to Black'.

PlainBill
                      For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Ive tried opening it like it the video, but it seems to be one bulk unit.. no edges to pry apart. Any ideas?

Comment

Ive tried opening it like it the video, but it seems to be one bulk unit.. no edges to pry apart. Any ideas?
                          try to pry front bezel off, (thin strip around screen)

Comment

Front bezel? Could you explain a bit more?

Also, just saw at the back theres four screw holes. But there not screws (see attached images). Any ideas here?
                            Attached Files

Comment

The screw holes in the back are utilized when the monitor is wall mounted as opposed to free standing on it's own stand.

Comment

Front bezel? Could you explain a bit more?

Also, just saw at the back theres four screw holes. But there not screws (see attached images). Any ideas here?
                                its not your monitor in this video but your bezel will come off near enough the same way
                                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ul5LhuCT1y8

Comment

Ive managed to get most of the screen case of (see pic), but theres still something not prying lose.

I think it may be some screws at the rear bottom of the case, that holds the case stand in place (see pics). Any idea how to get to these to unscrew them? At the moment they are under the plastic casing.
                                  Attached Files

Comment

It appears that the base needs to be removed before the rest will come off. The base is sometimes held on with screws, but sometimes it just slides on and snaps in place. I would check to see if the plastic part above the base will "pop" off and expose any screws beneath it.

Comment

get a flash light and look straight down hollow part of the base,where the stand was snapped in,there's probably 3 or 4 screws holding it on.
                                      Whatever I do, I consider it a success, if in the end I am breathing, seeing, feeling and hearing!

Comment

Woo! Yeah, got access to the screws. Problem is, being a newly moved in uni student, I dont own a screwdriver.. so I guess I'll have to purchase one tomorrow.

Thanks for all your help today, I'm sure I'll be back tomorrow with the damage

Comment

Working...
                                        X