X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dell E207WFPc

Originally posted by killian6pk View Post
    Hope this picture is clear enough.
    The picture is clearer, but I still can't see it (too small). Are there any markings on the fuse like "3A"?

I believe most of these panel fuses are usually less than 3A.
    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

No there are no markings at all except on the board it says F5 which of course means nothing.
      Have you ever stopped to think and then forget to start thinking again?

As a very wise man once said on this forum: "Of all the things I have lost I miss my mind the most."

Comment

You can try to measure the amps using your multimeter. You may have to solder in some wires to each side of the fuse and then connect those wires in series with your multimeter. Set your multimeter to 10 A and don't run it for more than 30 seconds.
        --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Ok I will give it a try. I have found a Service Manual for this monitor, but it does not refer to the Panel Control board at all as far as schematics and parts list.

As a very wise man once said on this forum: "Of all the things I have lost I miss my mind the most."

Comment

If you can't measure with a multimeter, then measure the fuse dimensions in millimeters and maybe order one or two of each

fast blow, 3A,
            fast blow, 4A,
            fast blow, 5A
            --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

PS. Be very careful with those ribbon bonds from the panel board to the actual lcd panel. I accidentally somehow tore a small strip and it results in a solid vertical black bar.

AFAIK, the ribbon bonds are welded together and not user repairable.
              --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Ok will try both multimeter and measuring. Thanks

Comment

Multimeter is a no go. If I assemble the monitor to get power I can't read the fuse because it is on the underside of the panel control board. I would have to hook up the flat cable running from the main board to the panel board and that keeps me from getting to the underside of the panel board. I have measured the SMD Fuse and ordered Fast Blow 3A, 4A and 5A Fuses (2 of each) that match the size I came up with. The DC Voltage on those is 32V. Sounded a little high, but I'm guessing that means that it will handle up to 32V before blowing.

Comment

Multimeter is a no go. If I assemble the monitor to get power I can't read the fuse because it is on the underside of the panel control board. I would have to hook up the flat cable running from the main board to the panel board and that keeps me from getting to the underside of the panel board. I have measured the SMD Fuse and ordered Fast Blow 3A, 4A and 5A Fuses (2 of each) that match the size I came up with. The DC Voltage on those is 32V. Sounded a little high, but I'm guessing that means that it will handle up to 32V before blowing.
                    No. The voltage rating on a fuse is the minimum voltage it can interrupt. A 32 volt fuse will not 'blow' if used on a 120 VAC circuit - but it may fail to open properly if the current goes above the fuse's rating.

PlainBill
                    For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

I'm back. Installed the 3A SMD fuse on the Panel Board. Still did not get a picture or lights on the panel. There are two transistors (3 legged with large soldered tab) on the panel board. One of them is located next to the fuse I replaced. I took resistor readings on both of them.

I looked for Data Sheets on both of these and could not find anything
                      First Line Reads J343 Second Line Reads 9117-18
                      U1 = Pin 1 - Pin 2 = 263.1 ohms, Pin 1 - Pin 3 = .442 Kohms, Pin 2 - Pin 3 = .707 K

First Line Reads J343 Second Line Reads 9117-33
                      U4 = Pin 1 - Pin 2 = .441K, Pin 1 - Pin 3 = .720K, Pin 2 - Pin 3 = 1.291K

Also would it make a difference if I used a 5A instead of the 3A Fuse? Since I have a 4A and 5A also.

Comment

I'm back. Installed the 3A SMD fuse on the Panel Board. Still did not get a picture or lights on the panel. There are two transistors (3 legged with large soldered tab) on the panel board. One of them is located next to the fuse I replaced. I took resistor readings on both of them.

I looked for Data Sheets on both of these and could not find anything
                        First Line Reads J343 Second Line Reads 9117-18
                        U1 = Pin 1 - Pin 2 = 263.1 ohms, Pin 1 - Pin 3 = .442 Kohms, Pin 2 - Pin 3 = .707 K

First Line Reads J343 Second Line Reads 9117-33
                        U4 = Pin 1 - Pin 2 = .441K, Pin 1 - Pin 3 = .720K, Pin 2 - Pin 3 = 1.291K

Also would it make a difference if I used a 5A instead of the 3A Fuse? Since I have a 4A and 5A also.
                        Those are not transistors; they are voltage regulators. With the power supply connected to the signal card and to AC power, measure the voltage from pin 1 to pin 2 and to pin 3 on each of these.

No; either the board (and LCD panel) is good and it won't blow the fuse, or something is bad and using a larger fuse will only do more damage.

PlainBill
                        For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Thanks Bill I will tackle this in the morning.

Comment

Bill, I checked the voltages as you requested. I could not get a reading on either one of the voltage regulators. I tried both AC and DC. I rechecked the fuse and it reads good (0.1 ohms).
                            Does this mean that I need to replace the regulators or that power is not getting to the panel control board?

Comment

Bill, I checked the voltages as you requested. I could not get a reading on either one of the voltage regulators. I tried both AC and DC. I rechecked the fuse and it reads good (0.1 ohms).
                              Does this mean that I need to replace the regulators or that power is not getting to the panel control board?
                              It means power is not getting to the regulators, or we are dealing with 'technician error'.

Let's step back to basics for a minute.

Test configuration: Power supply board, no inverter outputs, no connection to the signal card, resting upside down on a insulating material - piece of cardboard, etc. in the same orientation as the picture in the first post. From left to right, note that there is a mounting hole with a grounding pad around it, L903, L904, and the connector to the signal board.

Set your meter to the 20 VDC range. Hook up AC power and CAREFULLY check the voltages from the ground pad to either side of L903, L904, and pins 9&8, 7&6, 5&4, 3, and 1 of the connector. Disconnect AC power.

You should get readings in the 5 volt and 12 volt range. If you not no reading of more than 1 volt, stop and report the problem.

If you got readings in the expected range, hook the power supply to the signal card (no need at this time to hook it to the LCD panel or control panel). Hook up AC power and repeat the tests. Disconnect AC power and report the results.

If you got good readings on both attempts, provide a picture of the signal card.

PlainBill

Comment

Ok I will get on that and report back. Technician Error is certainly a possibility.

Comment

On L903 on both pins I got 5v
                                  On L904 on both pins I got 14v

On connector to signal board Pin 9 and 8 are ground pins
                                  Pin 7 & 6 I got 5v as printed on board
                                  Pin 5 & 4 are blank (no wire)
                                  Pin 3 reads 0v
                                  Pin 2 blank (no wire)
                                  Pin 1 reads 0v

On signal card connector I got the same readings on each wire as above.

Pictures of signal card attached.
                                  Attached Files

Comment

On L903 on both pins I got 5v
                                    On L904 on both pins I got 14v

On connector to signal board Pin 9 and 8 are ground pins
                                    Pin 7 & 6 I got 5v as printed on board
                                    Pin 5 & 4 are blank (no wire)
                                    Pin 3 reads 0v
                                    Pin 2 blank (no wire)
                                    Pin 1 reads 0v

On signal card connector I got the same readings on each wire as above.

Pictures of signal card attached.
                                    OK, power supply is working, and sending 5 VDC to the signal card. Did you check the wires at the connector or at the signal board itself? The connector pin seems to be a little high.

Unfortunately, the picture of the top of the signal board leaves a little to be desired, could you retake it, please.

Whoops, just to make sure we are on the same page, this is NOT the 'panel board' you referred to above, is it?

PlainBill
                                    Last edited by PlainBill; 12-03-2011, 04:05 PM.

Comment

No it is not the panel board. That board is attached to the back of the LCD Screen. I took the readings from the connector. The connector on the power board has nine pins in a straight line. The connector on the signal board has two rows of pins so I was not sure which pin was which and I just measured at the top of the connector where I could tell what wire went where. I will try to get a better picture. It is dark here now so I will take it first thing in the morning.

Comment

No it is not the panel board. That board is attached to the back of the LCD Screen. I took the readings from the connector. The connector on the power board has nine pins in a straight line. The connector on the signal board has two rows of pins so I was not sure which pin was which and I just measured at the top of the connector where I could tell what wire went where. I will try to get a better picture. It is dark here now so I will take it first thing in the morning.
                                        A quick background on what is happening here. A monitor is totally 'fly by wire' - the processor on the signal board controls everything. Once the power cord is plugged in it scans the front panel looking for a key press. It turns the power LED Green (or blue), amber, and off, the inverter on and off, adjusts the brightness, and turns the power to the LCD panel on and off. And of course, it also processes the video information.

At this point it's very likely the signal card is bad and we have to figure out if it is repairable.

PlainBill

Comment

I understand. Hope these pics will help.
                                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                          X