Disabling SSID broadcasts sets WPS to "unconfigured"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disabling SSID broadcasts sets WPS to "unconfigured"

A client of mine who had a Linksys WAG160N wireless router got a prompt under Windows 7 to configure it with security, even though it was already secured .
    In that case, Windows 7 detected that the Wi-Fi Protected Setup configuration state was "unconfigured" because the SSID broadcast was disabled.
    I confirmed with the same model that disabling SSID broadcast can disable Wi-Fi Protected Setup.
    I find it ironic that Windows Vista and 7 detect a hidden and secured wireless access point (which supports Wi-Fi Protected Setup) as "unconfigured" and prompts you to configure it with security.
    Also, Wi-Fi Protected Setup is disabled (usually with no option for enabling it) for Guest SSIDs, even if they are visible.
    My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Re: Disabling SSID broadcasts sets WPS to "unconfigured"

i can only stress what i've said before - WPS is not a standard, it's a piece of crap and causes more problems than it solves.
    "Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Comment

Working...
    X