Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is this?

I have to admit I know few about hub/router/lan/nas etc

I found it some days ago at the uni and I finally managed to open it.

What's its use and what are the parallel ports for?
    Attached Files

Re: What is this?

It's a network hub. They're less efficient than switches.
    Hubs take traffic and bounce it all over the place in the hopes that the packets eventually get to the right computer.
    Switches take data and route it to the port where the correct PC is hooked up to.

As for the parallel ports, they may well be old style serial ports, perhaps for legacy applications.

Comment

planet is another taiwan brand that didnt make it into the very know international brands. had some of their nic cards like a decade or more ago and working ok.

DB-25 connectors are so you can connect compatible similar units together and stack them.
      capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

Thank you for your answers.

There are 8 Ethernet ports and one that is named "Uplink".

What does this mean?

Comment

Not familiar with the Manufacturer of that hub but I used to have a hub similar to that, mine was a Hewlett Packard.
          Hubs connect to multiple hosts just like a wireless router except with cables. Hubs are not used that often anymore, instead businesses and consumers are using switches because they do the job quite well. Although I would personally choose the hub over the router for faster solid connections as well as security. I Currently own a Cisco Catalyst 1900 switch that weighs a ton! The switch uses the same amount of voltage as a standard SMPS between 230-115 if I remember correctly. Had it for quite a long time and is not being used collecting dust which I regret. Have not used it sense I first bought it. Don't have a big enough network. I bought it way back thinking I might need it for a LAN but never got to it. Buying a switch is a good alternative to save you dollar$ on service premiums rather then paying for multiple modems. Just like if you had 20 sinks in your house!
          they call, they telnet, I hangup, I laugh, I get hiccups and digital breakups.

Comment

Originally posted by goodpsusearch View Post
            There are 8 Ethernet ports and one that is named "Uplink".
            In most network designs the 8 port hub that you have connects to a larger and faster ethernet device.

Uplink is usually used to connected to a bigger switch "up the link".
            --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

PC froze up again, time to reapply arctic silver.

Up linking separate service providers is possible on a SonicWall wireless router.

I'm pretty sure you can up link 2 separate internet service providers on any hub right? I never tried it.

Comment

uplink- what that means is it you can connect it to another hub/switch. modern switches are auto uplink... but it used to be that one had to either use the uplink port or use a cross cable to connect hubs. i forgot which wires but two switch... so again, more old technology.
                sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

I never tried uplinking my hp hub when I had it. The RJ-45 cable looks exactly the same as the crossover cable except the crossed wires. Hard to tell a lot of times. Have gone through a whole box of used ones.

Comment

Originally posted by backtrack View Post
                    Up linking separate service providers is possible on a SonicWall wireless router.

I'm pretty sure you can up link 2 separate internet service providers on any hub right? I never tried it.
                    A router works at OSI layer 3. Hubs work at layer 1.

You cannot link 2 ISPs on a hub. A hub is the same collision domain or same network.

Some consumer based wireless routers allow you to link to multiple ISPs. Many don't.
                    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

The uplink and port 1 are the same port with the pins re-arranged.
                      Allows use of either a cross-over or straight through cable to connect port-to-port with another hub/switch or a router.

Might pull some info from here.
                      https://cdn.badcaps-static.com/pdfs/...2d1073a743.pdf
                      Mann-Made Global Warming.
                      - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                      Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                      -
                      You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                      -

Comment

uplink would be a port to connect any other hub switch. the DB-25 would be for connection to only a compatible unit from the same manufacturer
                        capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

Thanks for the replies! Yes, when I connected both the uplink and port 1 with Ethernet cables, they acted like shorted.

Now I should find a 5V supply!

Comment

When I got that hub, it came to me without a power supply and I used a PC psu to test that it's working.

Today, I found a variable voltage power supply brick that matches the hub pin.

The lowest voltage it gives is 6V. The hub takes 5V. I have tested it and it worked. Volts were measured 5.88V. Can I use that psu with the hub or it is a bad idea?

Comment

Originally posted by goodpsusearch View Post
                              When I got that hub, it came to me without a power supply and I used a PC psu to test that it's working.

Today, I found a variable voltage power supply brick that matches the hub pin.

The lowest voltage it gives is 6V. The hub takes 5V. I have tested it and it worked. Volts were measured 5.88V. Can I use that psu with the hub or it is a bad idea?
                              Anyone?

Comment

It might be ok, but I am not sure about that unless you have some linear/switching converters on board.

Comment

Its close enough. .88v over isn't going to do much.

Comment

Thank you

Comment

Working...
                                    X