X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: A problem with an automotive trouble codes diagnosis device

Originally posted by petehall347 View Post
    will power up from the cars obd port
    Absolutely correct !, that's the way my device work, another thing to mention BTW which is an app called at530 included with the software folder which appears on this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cw049QOIlTY
    at minute 8:26 from which You can display the device status when being connected to a vehicle including the firmware version of the (VCI) vehicle communication interface but none of these stuff show up and mine keep displaying a message of (Function in progress) then software won't respond, then the whole process stops !
    According to the pictures I've posted earlier in my 3rd post, does any of You guys know which IC\Chip on that board to have the firmware version if You're acknowledged enough about this business ?
    BTW thoughts of my English till the moment ?

Comment

Originally posted by petehall347 View Post
      will power up from the cars obd port
      Yeah, but without being plugged into the OBDII port, it will do squat.

belalmondeo:
      The EEPROM AM29F040b holds 4 Megas. The 16c550c is a UART (in which you could maybe tap into). The Main IC sab-c161cs-lf is also flashable and got 16 Megas!
      Do you hear any relays clicking when you try to read a car?

Your English is fine, don't worry about that.
      Last edited by CapLeaker; 12-31-2018, 05:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CapLeaker View Post
        Yeah, but without being plugged into the OBDII port, it will do squat.

belalmondeo:
        The EEPROM AM29F040b holds 4 Megas. The 16c550c is a UART (in which you could maybe tap into). The Main IC sab-c161cs-lf is also flashable and got 16 Megas!
        Do you hear any relays clicking when you try to read a car?

Your English is fine, don't worry about that.
        First of all, thanks for the uplifting reply regarding my language.
        Actually, I hear no clicks at all while I attempt to read, it also worths mentioning that it happened once to have the device responded just for once and it didn't repeat anymore by then.
        Last edited by belalmondeo; 12-31-2018, 06:14 PM.

Comment

The IC that does the comms to the car is the TJA1054T.

Comment

i downloaded the driverpack 2.8.1.8
            i'm going to try to unpack it and see what that serial>usb chip is - it's still my prime suspect.

Comment

The IC that does the comms to the car is the TJA1054T.
              According to Your own experience, how can I specify a faulty chip either with the naked eye or using some diagnosis method - troubleshooting instead of wasting my time and money purchasing parts randomly and later I find out it wasn't defected ?

Comment

you need an oscilloscope and a good DMM with 50.000 counts. Then you just look at things in a streamlined manner. Pull datasheets and check things. No activity on the scope = dead. That's how I figure out things on PLL's, DDS IC's, etc.
                The naked eye method only works on catastrophic failures. Caps and IC's can fail, yet look perfectly fine outside, so one has to understand the circuit.
                Last edited by CapLeaker; 01-01-2019, 12:33 PM.

Comment

my experience with chinese clones of diagnostic shit is that 99% of problems are related to windows and driver issues.
                  i mention windows because i had a box once, the software didnt work till i installed some chinese version of a standard update - i may have been looking for a dll or font not in western windows!!

Comment

you need an oscilloscope and a good DMM with 50.000 counts. Then you just look at things in a streamlined manner. Pull datasheets and check things. No activity on the scope = dead. That's how I figure out things on PLL's, DDS IC's, etc.
                    The naked eye method only works on catastrophic failures. Caps and IC's can fail, yet look perfectly fine outside, so one has to understand the circuit.
                    Man, You're awesome I swear the god, thanks for giving me such useful guide to get started.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                      my experience with chinese clones of diagnostic shit is that 99% of problems are related to windows and driver issues.
                      i mention windows because i had a box once, the software didnt work till i installed some chinese version of a standard update - i may have been looking for a dll or font not in western windows!!
                      I've yet tried all of the drivers software version related to my issue except for the 2.8.1.8 which I'll try right on the next few days to tell if any changes has come to happen, I'm in an urgent need for a miracle.

Comment

you need to find what driver/chip combination is being used for usb.
                        once we know the chip, we can do a simple test.
                        whoever sanded off the numbers should be shot in the head.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                          you need to find what driver/chip combination is being used for usb.
                          once we know the chip, we can do a simple test.
                          whoever sanded off the numbers should be shot in the head.
                          Consider a 50BMG if so for me Please

Comment

Hello again !
                            Since I really wanted to keep You all up to date with me, then I'd hate to say that my situation got from bad to worse
                            the device was supposed actually to work along when having it connected to the car and I can figure it by giving a red light out of the bulb then blinking green to know it runs with no connection problems but it gives nothing now but a green light when just connecting it for the first time and nothing else !
                            Does any of You have any Idea of a defected cap or varistor to cause such an issue / Do you know any part of the following located in the lower board can cause it ?

LIST OF COMPONENTS

S20K20
                            CTX33-1A
                            Coilcraft DO3316P-683(mld)
                            WURTH-865230653012-47UF,50V,RADIAL CAN
                            Last edited by belalmondeo; 01-04-2019, 06:49 AM.

Comment

Note: the components mentioned above are replacements of the factory PCB for some rework.
                              I've unscrewed the db25 side of the obdII cable to check for any faults and everything was fine, there weren't any signs for damaged on the lower board db25 pins.
                              The picture shows the suspected parts, pic1 shows the pcb before any changes were done to it, the other shows these parts (Reworked).
                              Attached Files

Comment

sure it could be a signal not going through the bottom board (relay network). So to eliminate that, test the relays. For me I'd go to the top board.
                                If there would be a defective cap to GND, then something isn't getting power, but you didn't check yet if some voltage rail is missing, or something not getting any power. Other than a cap shorted to GND, I am going to rule out the caps. Could be an open inductor, open trace or a resistor that changed value to way out of spec. So then there are diodes, transistors and again the IC's. Something gave out at post 43. So look at my post #44 again. This IC is responsible for the communication with the car. Plus then there is still the original problem in which this tread started with (USB comms not working).
                                It makes sense to me that the light trick doesn't work, since the incident on your post #43. If that bulb trick works, you would have communication with the vehicle (which you don't!).
                                Last edited by CapLeaker; 01-04-2019, 01:18 PM.

Comment

Thanks for having me insighted.
                                  I'll have this postponed nowadays for being into 2 weeks of exams + being on tight budget to purchase any tools/parts !

Comment

i looked at the software, you can extract it with "innoextract"
                                    it's 32 and 64bit, and it is using the FTDI usb drivers.

Comment

Update:
                                      I wanna thank everyone of You for trying the best of You !
                                      I've managed to contact the dealer and shipped back the defected item and he sent me an another one and it just works great so far since the last tuesday !
                                      thank You all again

Comment

Working...
                                      X