Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone have troubleshooting knowledge of refrigerators?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Anyone have troubleshooting knowledge of refrigerators?

The attached is your exact Manufacturer and the Model used. I believe the model to be on page 23 upper right. This will eliminate all doubt as to how the compressor is connected. And the run Cap. is mandatory and the company gives the precise type of caps to use. If these caps are not used the unit may not start or the motor can burn out.
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by caphair View Post
      I'm guessing full 120v what's interesting is that voltage was dropping when I tested the relay without it being connected to the compressor. Shouldn't it have been active and not dropping if tested that way?

Also how do you know for sure the compressor isn't a PSC type using a run capacitor rather than a resistive start, capacitor run type? That PDF was helpful. How'd you find it?
      I just looked for it.
      I would say never just agree with a person unless you understand what you are agreeing to. Even if you feel like a fool because this is the only way to fully understand how things work. One teacher told me to try and understand something for up to 8 hours. If you can'y understand it by then, then just except you can't understand it now.

Comment

Ok so it's a RSCR (resistive start capacitor run type) and looks like the capacitor is connected across in parallel. So that helps to know.

Do you strictly search for PDF files when searching? Because I didn't come across any of the files you posted when I tried looking

Comment

Ok so it's a RSCR (resistive start capacitor run type) and looks like the capacitor is connected across in parallel. So that helps to know.

Do you strictly search for PDF files when searching? Because I didn't come across any of the files you posted when I tried looking
          No, I do not strictly search for PDF files. I am kind of use to researching things. I have a good IQ in abstract thought and spacial things. Not that IQ means much, but it is a indicator of what one is good at. My mind bounces around a lot. People who have structured thought will think I am crazy a lot of the times. So when I search for things I am constantly asking myself what do I need to know and how am I going to get there. With that going through my mind I just let my mind take its own course of action.

Comment

So with this information have you determined if the reseting is the PTC or the Over-Voltage protection?

Comment

Update: New part fixed it. It's up and running. I'm not sure if it was the solid state relay or the overload that went bad but new relay and overload worked.

I'm wondering if the overload's spring tension became weak causing it to trip more easily or if the solid state relay wasn't delivering full power

Comment

Update: New part fixed it. It's up and running. I'm not sure if it was the solid state relay or the overload that went bad but new relay and overload worked.

I'm wondering if the overload's spring tension became weak causing it to trip more easily or if the solid state relay wasn't delivering full power
                The key to that was to know which was tripping. If it was the overload protection then I would believe that to be faulty. If it was the PTC that was tripping then it could of been the switch across the capacitor was not shorting the cap out completely at start up. Glad you got it working.

Comment

The PTC was solid state using a triac. Only thing that could "click" was the overload

Comment

The PTC was solid state using a triac. Only thing that could "click" was the overload
                    From what I read there are two devices that could of been clicking. The overload protection usually trips like a breaker an has to be manually reset. It is possible they made this as a thermally set after it cools down. The PTC is different I believe that whole board was the PTC. I believe it is used to start and maintain the motor. This is done by shifting the phase of the voltage between the run and start winding. So initially when the motor is to start the phase shift will be different at start up than at run. The run capacitor is shorted out by a bi-metal thermally timed switch. As the motor gets to run position the PTC needs the run capacitor to lessen the phase shift because the motor has a certain inertia. The PTC may also lessen the voltage at the same time. This bi-metal thermally timed switch. Opens at a certain time. It is kept open if the motor is conducting current most likely by the triac turning on and conducts through one part of the bi-metal connection keeping it open. If the motor does not run this bi-metal switch will close because it cools down and tries to start the motor again.

Comment

They could also be keeping the bi-metal switch open by the charging and discharging on the capacitor causing enough heat at the junction points to keep it open or the bi-metal switch is designed when current runs through it, it stays open magnetically. I am not really sure of the how. I am just giving probable ways this can be done. The OverVoltage is physically separate circuit and connection and is placed between the hot line coming in and the one terminal on the motor nothing else is connected to. It does not necessarily have to be on the motor. I would suspect it to be somewhere in the area.

Comment

Working...
                      X