Dell Vostro 15 3000 (i5-11th Gen) 3 Orange 5 White LED Code

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dell Vostro 15 3000 (i5-11th Gen) 3 Orange 5 White LED Code

When plugging in the laptop the LED charger light stays on solid white for about 30 seconds then it starts blinking first 3 orange then 5 white.

There was a short to ground on the +5VS rail which I solved by swapping UZ2 (from schematic which is attached) chip and the fan connector capacitor which was shorted to ground. However this didn't fix the issue as it still happens.

This is about as far as I have gotten with the repair as I can't see any other issues.

Please let me know some things I can try or things I need to check.

Thank you!

Extra Info
    Motherboard details: GDI5A LA-K033P
    Schematic says Dell inspiron however it is the same board as the vostro

[Mod. Edit - Vesko356] Schematic: https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...65#post1216565
    Last edited by Vesko356; 05-16-2023, 12:22 PM. Reason: Attached schematic removed and replaced with link.

Re: Dell Vostro 15 3000 (i5-11th Gen) 3 Orange 5 White LED Code

Review the voltage to ground of emi ferrite @ PL3. This is inline with the PS_ID single wire communication line used by the SIO controller (8051) to extract vitals out of the Dell power supply. If this communication line fails, the logic board will be unable to validate the power adapter.

PS: Best to move your schematic inside the schematics forum.
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by mon2 View Post
      Review the voltage to ground of emi ferrite @ PL3. This is inline with the PS_ID single wire communication line used by the SIO controller (8051) to extract vitals out of the Dell power supply. If this communication line fails, the logic board will be unable to validate the power adapter.

PS: Best to move your schematic inside the schematics forum.
      Not tried this yet however idk if it will change anything but same thing happens when on battery

Comment

Try RTC reset.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Dell/commen...ite_lights_on/

Comment

Have already tried all basic things like removing RAM, Wi-Fi card and all other connectors.
          Tried the motherboard itself outside the chassis and still same thing.

Comment

^ Including RTC Reset

Comment

Dell usually dont have light on dc-jack. To me it seems like mb is getting powerd on and then indicating an error code. Measure voltage on all coils so that you can get an idea whether its triggered or not. If you have dc supply,mention the power consumption.

Have you flashed bios? Worth a try.

Comment

https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/e...tablet-systems

Error code lines up with missing power rail. So go through all your rails (and PG's back to the EC). There is a sequence on pg 4 you can follow for each PM_SLP state.

BTW, anyone notice on pg 96, the protection circuit is titled as "No Smoke". See they do have a sense of humour at Compal

Comment

I have measured voltages to ground on coils and listed them below, I have took a photo of locations on the board and colour coded.

PL301 (Red): 3.37V
                  PLM01 (Yellow): 1.18V
                  PL501 (Pink): 5.18V
                  PLV02 (White): 0V
                  PLV03 (White): 0V
                  PLW01 (Dark blue): 0V
                  PLZ01 (Green): 0V
                  PLZ02 (Green): 0V
                  PL1801 (Light blue): 1.8V
                  PLG2 (Black): 1.82V
                  PLB01 (Orange/Light Red): 0.5V

See attached photo: https://imgur.com/a/QbvfCJ3

Comment

Your CPU doesn't get voltage at all. Measure tesistance to GND of PLZ01 or PLZ02
                    FairRepair on YouTube

Comment

Hi thanks for fast reply, I checked both 01 and 02 and got 77 ohms to ground each side

Comment

https://imgur.com/a/wIgalxB
                        Here is the photo, imgur was being a pain for ages :/
                        Last edited by q5q; 05-20-2023, 02:45 PM. Reason: Edited photo, error in it

Comment

We should start from the RAM controller, so whether 1.2V_VTT_PWRGD is asserted ( PUM1 Pin 10), then whether the 3VS and 5VS are present at UZ2 Pin8/9 and 13/14. From there ALL_SYS_PWRGD and IMVP_VR_ON_P should be available.
                          FairRepair on YouTube

Comment

Hi, I have checked on UZ2 and it gets the 5V and 3V in however it outputs very low voltage, 0.5V on +5VS and 0.2 on +3VS.

I am not sure how to tell which pin is 10th pin on PUM01, I think I found it and got 0V could be wrong tho

Comment

Originally posted by q5q View Post
                              Hi, I have checked on UZ2 and it gets the 5V and 3V in however it outputs very low voltage, 0.5V on +5VS and 0.2 on +3VS.

I am not sure how to tell which pin is 10th pin on PUM01, I think I found it and got 0V could be wrong tho
                              Then picture please of the location in question.
                              FairRepair on YouTube

Comment

Originally posted by Sephir0th View Post
                                Then picture please of the location in question.
                                Not sure if you wanted UZ2 or PUM01 so I took a few pictures. You can see both chips in last picture.

https://imgur.com/a/obmz4BG

Comment

Not sure if you wanted UZ2 or PUM01 so I took a few pictures. You can see both chips in last picture.

https://imgur.com/a/obmz4BG
                                  PUM01 Pin 10, see attached
                                  Attached Files
                                  FairRepair on YouTube

Comment

Originally posted by Sephir0th View Post
                                    PUM01 Pin 10, see attached
                                    Hi checked it now it's at 0.009V

Comment

Hi checked it now it's at 0.009V
                                      Something is wrong there. Measure whether 0.6VSP is present at PUM01 Pin20. Check the Enable too, Pin7
                                      FairRepair on YouTube

Comment

Pin 7: 0.01V
                                        Pin 20: 0.004V

Comment

Working...
                                        X