Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Acer Nitro 5 (EH5VF motherboard) all works except battery charging

Hi all,

Another puzzle if you are so inclined. Attached PCB/Schems.

Background:

This unit came to me as "no power". Simple visual inspection revealed a blown up PQB11. I replaced it along with PQB12 just out of standard procedure of replacing them as pairs, and even though it fought me tooth and nail I was able to get a new one in and the board booted fine first try after that.

I've since tested the laptop to boot and even stress tested; no issues whatsoever. However, battery won't charge. It will work off the battery no problems (if I charge it using another laptop/board), but connecting a battery to charge yields a blinking orange light indicating that there's an issue with the charging.

I started diagnosis by measuring the gate on PQB1, which revealed it has an unexpected voltage of 15.3V (same as battery). Measuring on known good board shows ~19V when battery charging. Measured for shorts on gate of PQB1, no shorts. Measured DCIN voltage on PUB1, 19V as expected. Measured drain of PQB1, 19V (same as AC) as expected.

I've since measured (almost) every single voltage and component connected to PUB1, and haven't found anything that stands out or even would explain that abnormal gate voltage. Another kicker: I could only from that point on suspect PUB1 itself, so I got another one from a donor known good board; also the same issue.

I've since also replaced PQB1 and PQB2, to no avail. I'm now officially at a loss and looking for input. Thank you!
    Attached Files

Re: Acer Nitro 5 (EH5VF motherboard) all works except battery charging

Posting this quick reply as it may be beneficial:

I have read and performed tests present in thread:

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=90356

DC-in mosfets (the ones that were replaced):

All measure MOhms from source to drain and gate to source/drain.

Current sensing lines: The ones from DC-in measure 3.5 Ohms, same as reference working board.

DCIN: 19V
    ACDET: Haven't measured, but assuming working due to laptop working otherwise.
    VDD: 5.2V
    CMSRC: 19V

Comment

Remove all power -> meter in resistance mode (select the lowest scale if using a manual meter) -> measure the resistance between pins 14 & 15 (CSON / CSOP) on the charger IC (PUB1). Measure directly at the charger IC.

Post the measurement.

Comment

CSON to CSOP directly on IC measures 2.4 Ohms, roughly the same as reference board.

Comment

Ok. What is the voltage to ground of source (1-2-3) pins on PQB1 when the battery is attached? This will be the battery charge voltage.

Comment

Source is at 15.3V, same as gate

Comment

Remove all power -> meter in resistance mode.

Measure the resistance across the mosfet pins of PQB1 (AON7506):

source (1-2-3) & drain (5-6-7-8)
              source (1-2-3) & gate (4)
              gate (4) & drain (5-6-7-8)

Post each measurement.

Comment

Source to drain: ~200kohm
                source to gate: 20kohm
                drain to gate:> 1Mohm

edit: got confused on terminals

Comment

Source to gate resistance is considered to be very low for a good mosfet.

Suggest to flux it and carefully remove off the PCB -> allow it to cool and then measure the resistance again as per above for this mosfet while it is on your worktable.

reference:
                  https://electronicsbeliever.com/how-...0good%20MOSFET.

Comment

Got it. For reference it measures the same as the MOSFET on my good reference board. Will remove later today and measure, can't access the hot air station now.

Comment

Measure Voltage of ACDET, ACOK and ACDRV, just for sanity please.

Edit: Sorry for my ignorance, I have confused with another controller. ACOK and ASGATE then please
                      Last edited by Sephir0th; 05-30-2023, 03:37 PM.
                      FairRepair on YouTube

Comment

For reference it measures the same as the MOSFET on my good reference board.
                        Hmm. What is the gate voltage of the good board?

Is the other board able to charge this same battery?

Being an N-channel mosfet, the gate voltage must be higher than the voltage being passed between the source / drain pins to enable.

It is important to note the gate voltage is pulsing on/off to 'dial' down the high voltage of the adapter (~19v) to a lower and safe voltage for the battery pack.

This is the function of this high side and the low side mosfets to create a safe and lower voltage.

Respectively, the multimeter will be unable to capture the high and low voltage being applied on the gate pin. A scope is required to measure such activity.

Comment

I have confused with another controller.
                          It is that time of the day here as well when I start to see doubles

Comment

Will measure ACDET/ACOK/ACDRV and post.

Gate voltage for good board is ~19V. It is able to charge this same battery (and any other battery for that matter).

Comment

Will measure ACDET/ACOK/ACDRV and post.
                              These pin names are not relevant for the charger IC on your board - they are for the BQ series by TI.

Interested in the ACOK voltage.

The fault may be the charger IC which is required to spit out the proper gate voltage provided there is no fault with the charger mosfets (high / low side) and if the power adapter is properly detected.

As a suggestion,carefully measure the voltage to ground of each and every pin on the non-working board's charger IC.

Then repeat the same checks using the working logic board and this battery / another battery.

Post the list for a comparison. Perhaps this non-working board is unable to confirm that the power adapter is worthy enough (with enough power) to power the logic board AND charge the battery.

Comment

ACOK 3.1V.

And Mr. Salad Fingers over here WAS measuring all the pins on PUB1 when he accidentally shorted two and PUB1 went out with a bang.

Will have to replace and remeasure (this time with real care) when the replacement unit comes in a few days. I'll post it then assuming I don't fumble again.

On the bright side, we'll be sure (or not) if it was the PUB1 all along.

Comment

Just to update y'all:

After receiving the new parts and soldering the new PUB1, the board now works. It's possible for the previous unit I may have used too much heat or it just went wrong somehow in one soldered pin

In the interest of anyone who may google this and tries to diagnose problems, here's what the voltages look like for a PUB1 on this board with a fully charged battery plugged (pins in order starting at 1):

ACIN_CHG: 2.21V
                                  AC_IN: 3.16V
                                  EC_SMB_DA1_R: data pin
                                  EC_SMB_CK1_R: data pin
                                  Pin 5: 0V
                                  AMON_ISL95520: 0V
                                  BMON_ISL95520: 0V
                                  Pin 8: 0V
                                  PROG_CHG: 0V
                                  COMP_CHG: 0V
                                  CCLIM_CHG: 3.08V
                                  FSET_CHG: 0V