Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

215-0752007 Alternatives

Hello!

as part of my hobbies i like to practice and toy around with older equipment, as such i have two older notebooks with AMD 215-0752007 Chipsets, both units have died, with only one (a G62-a15SA) still working if "Baked" first.

i believe i had a discussion with somebody a while back elsewhere about something similar, while browsing the forum i discovered there are other chips which can work but require slight board/bios modification.

i also know that some chips from later years have better reliability but checking a certain online supplier (Chipbay) they claim to be selling a similar chip from "2019+" i absolutely do NOT trust this claim, hence why i am searching for pin compatible drop ins.

i suspect certain versions of these chips (typical AMD/ATI) are poorly cooled, overheat and fail, though bump gate is probable.

I know it may be a little weird me wasting time and money on these old things but I find it beneficial to my knowledge, any advice or help would be amazing

Re: 215-0752007 Alternatives

"More reliable" ICs don't exist for this (unlike some of the bad 2006-2008 Nvidia ICs). AMD had poor reliability across the board with these generations, both on the GPU and chipset parts (CPU were generally fine). That said, with proper cooling and a little bit of luck, they still should last at least a few years.

It's also difficult to find actually good new ICs. see-ic had some at some point, but they got more expensive over time, and their website has been broken for a while and their eBay store neglected.
    Many other sellers (and even see-ic did) sell garbage "refurbished" ICs, ie. old garbage generally already failed but polished and remarked with newer datecodes, and sometimes different part number.

As for cross-compatibility between parts of these series (RS780/RS880), best place to find information is on Russian-speaking forums such as vlab . su and ascnb1.ru. Depending on the board, some may work out of the box, some may require editing the BIOS to change VBIOS PCI id, and some may not work at all. Always better to use the same part number to avoid headaches and waste of time and money.

Sadly I think we are reaching the end of the line in fixing these boards. At least a bunch of laptops have an equivalent Intel chipset board (without AMD dGPU) that can be swapped (along with the heatsink, and sometimes requiring some additional modifications). Will perform better, generate less, be much more reliable, and sometimes have less compatibility issues with some OS.
    OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

Working...
    X