Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1998 Toshiba Satellite 1605CDS/4.3 Will not stay on!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1998 Toshiba Satellite 1605CDS/4.3 Will not stay on!

I love old computers, so I purchased a Toshiba Satellite 1605CDS off eBay in MINT CONDITION with the carrying bag and a mouse! It came from the original owner, they never had issues with it. It had worked great for the past few months, but last night, I restarted from Windows 98 to Windows 2000, and it got stuck booting 2000. No big deal, old computer, I thought. So I restarted it, and it worked for about 3 minutes, then shut off! It then started to turn on (fan at top speed, some hard drive activity) then it shuts back off. Back on, back off. Stays on for about 3.5 seconds each time, off for about 2. It keeps doing this unless I unplug it, and plug it back in, then it works for another 3 to 5 minutes, then that happens again. How can I fix this? I'm hoping it's the power brick, as it is the original.

Re: 1998 Toshiba Satellite 1605CDS/4.3 Will not stay on!

Tried removing the battery? Might fix it.
    Main rig:
    Gigabyte B75M-D3H
    Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
    Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
    16GB DDR3-1600
    Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
    FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
    120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
    Delux MG760 case

Comment

I would remove all peripherials, reseat RAM, remove and reconnect CMOS battery (might be in the RAM comparnment) and try to turn it on. Obviously only with power adapter without main battery.
      Laptops and computers repair.

Comment

I took out the battery and it still shut off after a while. I will try gabik111's suggestion now and tell you how it goes

Comment

I can't locate the CMOS battery.

Comment

i'm confused,
            are you saying it's a dual-boot setup, or you where upgrading to win2k??

Comment

Originally posted by Vitam View Post
              I can't locate the CMOS battery.
              No reset jumper in RAM bay?
              Well, I'm not familiar with this laptop but there should be somewhere. Underneath keyboard maybe?
              I know that there is a dip switch somewhere (under keyboard I think) to clock CPU and set CPU voltages in this laptop. Maybe there is something more near this?

Comment

There are some dip switches, and it dual-boots 98 and 2K

Comment

I completely disassembled it, located the CMOS battery, even replaced it, to no avail

Comment

I'm thinking the laptop is just toast

Comment

Also, the dip switches are right next to the CPU underneath the keyboard. No reset jumper anywhere.

Comment

If you disconnect CMOS battery no need to find reset jumper. Looks like fixing it becoming more time consuming than money. How power adapter behave? Does it keeps voltage constantly during that on/off period? I would start with schematic and power section of laptop looking for bad caps.
                        Anyway win2000 might require more CPU power than win98 so this will lead that power section might be too weak. Try to boot it to win98 and see what happens.

Comment

Working...
                        X