Gateway 24" LCD Model LP2407

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gateway 24" LCD Model LP2407

I have a Gateway 24" LCD that is showing many of the normal problems I've seen described on the forum. The LCD comes on for about 1-2 seconds and powers off. I indicator light changes from blue (on) to purple (?), then after a couple minutes orange (no signal/standby). After trying to use a bright light to see if the backlight was turned off, I found the LCD was in fact not working.

After searching the net for monitor repairs I found a couple that said to check the power supply. After pulling the power supply I found several bulged caps. Though there can be more going on, the caps appear to be an fast and easy fix to start with. On top of that there are 5 bad caps that need replacing no matter what the problem may be in the end. All the caps are Su'scon. Since I have to replace 5 already, I decided to replace all 13 caps on the PCB with better known good caps.

Since I have not had to repair a circuit board since I was in airframe & powerplant school 16 years ago. I'm not sure about how each manufacture marks their caps. I would like to make sure I order the correct replacement caps.

The volt's and uF's are easy enough. It is the cap type and case size that I'm having trouble with. I am thinking of going with Rubycon caps and something in the ZLG series. Though I'm not sure that would correct.

Her is a list of the Su'scon caps I plan on replacing: (info from what is written on the cap)

C854 450v 150uF 0710 (m)
    C864 35v 470uF 0707 (m) bulged
    C863 35v 470uF 0701 (m)
    C862 35v 470uF 0701 (m)
    C867 10v 1000uF 0705 (m)
    C868 10v 1000uF 0705 (m)
    C869 10v 1000uF 0641 (m) bulged
    C870 10v 1000uF 0701 (m) bulged
    C865 25v 1000uF 0701 (m) bulged
    C884 25v 680uF 0703 (m) bulged
    C866 25v 470uF 0705 (m)
    C857 50v 47uF 0701 (m)
    C876 50v 10uF 0701 (m)

Hopefully I have everything in the right places. Once last thing I have to consider is height of the caps. As I'm limited to the top of the heat sinks. The cover rest's on the top of the heat sinks.

Can someone provide info as to the best Rubycon cap types and sizes to use?

Thanks guys.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by fadec; 01-10-2010, 02:11 PM.

Re: Gateway 24" LCD Model LP2407

Which series are those su'scons?
    MG? H5? SK? LX? LZ? SB?

Knowing the series we can look up the ripple ratings, lifespan, and impedance which lets us better know what would work as a replacement.

Datasheets can be found, possibly identify by picture.
    http://www.su-scon.com.tw/products_li.html
    Last edited by endevite; 01-11-2010, 02:28 AM.

Comment

It looks like they are SG series (105deg). That is if I'm reading the marking right.

Comment

Originally posted by fadec
        It looks like they are SG series (105deg). That is if I'm reading the marking right.
        All of them are SG? SG are all very low impedance long life caps with very very high ripple support, so make sure what is what.

Comment

Good call, After looking again all but one have SG on them. The 150uF 450v says "SV105deg". I was not able to find an SV series on the Su'scon site, so I hope that is the actual series.

Comment

I don't think you need to worry about replacing the 450v cap as those rarely fail.

Comment

any luck man im going through the same issues did you get those exact caps you listed in the 1rst posting or did anything change, thanks hope you got it going

Comment

I just received my new caps today. It might be a week or so before I get the chance to install them. By following PlainBill's suggestion (see below) that I found in another thread, I was easily able to find what I needed. All caps that came will fit dimensionally, though a couple are slightly different from the OEM caps. I went with Nichicon and Panasonic.

I'll let you know if this works once I have a chance to install them.

ps. PlainBill forgive me if you mind me quoting you here, but the info was just too good not to share.

Click on Aluminum.

Under Series select the series of caps you believe are acceptable. I usually limit myself to Panasonic FC and FM, but don't hesitate to select more.

Under Capacitance select the value you need.

Under Voltage select the voltage

Under Package/Case select Radial

Place a check mark by In Stock, then click Apply Filters

Now I just did this for 680 uF 10 V and got exactly 4 hits. Looking over the specs, I see Panasonic FC and FM in two case sizes. I also note that FM series is rated for a longer life, and costs less. So I click on the Stock Number for the proper case size. On this page I enter the Quantity and click on Add to Order.

Alternatively I can copy the Digi-Key Part Number and Manufacturer Part Number to a list and someone else can use these to place an order. Then I repeat the process.

I prefer Digi-Key because they have good prices, a good inventory, and offer a First Class Mail shipping option. This will get your order to you in two days for about $2.00 in shipping.

Note that in some cases dimensions are critical. Make sure the parts you select are not too tall or to wide to fit!!

PlainBill ___________

Comment

Thanks for the reply I'll get mine ordered today or tomorrow and let you know when I'm done. I'm going to replace the same ones you did.

Comment

I didnt mine ordered yet. How do your caps look as far as height goes? I'm worried about getting ones that wont fit. If yours all fit can you post what Digi-Key Part Numbers and Manufacturer Part Numbers you ordered.

Comment

Remember if you find the replacement caps may be a bit too long you can always install them at an angle, as you usually will have the wiggle room. Just be sure not to cut the leads until you've tested the insert. I always insert such ones and then view across the top of all the high components on my board to be sure that my new replacement is no taller than the highest component on the board.

Comment

All the caps I ordered where not too long. Only a couple where slightly larger in diameter. Everything fits.

So, far we tested all the caps removed and EVERY SINGLE ONE is bad. Even those that didn't show any signs of bulging. Though I didn't plan on replacing the large 150uF 450v cap, I now plan on ordering one anyway. Considering all the others turned out bad.

Here is the DigiKey list I ordered:

1ea. - P13478-ND CAP 10UF 50V ELECT EB RADIAL

3ea. - 493-1868-ND CAP 470UF 35V ELECT PW RADIAL

4ea. - 493-1746-ND CAP 1000UF 10V ELECT PW RADIAL

1ea. - P10278-ND CAP 1000UF 25V ELECT FC RADIAL

1ea. - 493-1829-ND CAP 680UF 25V ELECT PW RADIAL

1ea. - 493-1826-ND CAP 470UF 25V ELECT PW RADIAL

1ea. - 493-3288-ND CAP ELECT 47UF 50V HIREL RADIAL
                        Last edited by fadec; 02-03-2010, 04:34 PM.

Comment

Nice great guys thanks a lot.

Comment

just tried to find the 150uF 450v cap to get it ordered and no luck on digi-key at least im not seeing it.

Comment

It would appear DigiKey does not carry that cap in a "radial". They only have snap-in type mounts. Just a quick search brought me to ICSupply. This is the only one they had that was not only "radial" and "wire terminated", but also in stock. Though be it slightly more expensive. You might want to do some measuring on that one to make sure it is close to the same size.
                              Last edited by fadec; 02-03-2010, 07:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by azack
                                just tried to find the 150uF 450v cap to get it ordered and no luck on digi-key at least im not seeing it.
                                The TSED Series P11674-ND will work, but there are several to choose from. When you are searching specify through hole, but nothing under package / case. All I see are radial snap-in, but it would be easy to run a pair of wires down to the board.

Or try Mouser.

PlainBill
                                For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Thanks PlainBill running some small wires would work perfect!
                                  I think im going to replace the smaller ones and fire it up if that fails ill replace that big guy too.

Comment

We have success! After reinstalling the PCB into the monitor, it started up normally. In the end I did not replace the 150uF 450v cap as it was the only cap that did not test bad.

My only mistake... I think I broke a wire going the power button control on the front. As it does not work properly. I think it got broken when I pulled the screen out of the case to check the back lights. If you removed the back panel only, this should not be an issue.
                                    Last edited by fadec; 02-04-2010, 08:13 PM.

Comment

Hey thats great news I guess a few of my parts are on back order. Sorry to hear about the power button thanks for the heads up.

Comment

Well I my parts got in and I had time today to put the new caps in. Well SUCCESS!!! everything works great. Thanks for all the help.
                                        Last edited by azack; 04-03-2010, 04:24 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                        X