Intel Celerons....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intel Celerons....

What does everybody have against Intel Celeron CPU's? I think they're not to bad at all! Is it just the low cache memory, or what? They've always behaved for me...

Re: Intel Celerons....

I think it's partly image, partly how people use their machines. On the image side, a Celeron (and earlier x86SX uP's) is "dumbed down". And it isn't very macho. On the usage side, some people really "need" (= want) the fastest affordable machine performance. For them, a Celeron can't deliver. If you're just doing browsing and using Office Suite type programs speed isn't quite so critical and a Celeron will do just fine. I'm of the latter sort; some one who does a lot of gaming or video work might say more or less what I did above, but wording it quite differently.
    PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
    To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

Originally posted by ncovert View Post
      What does everybody have against Intel Celeron CPU's? I think they're not to bad at all! Is it just the low cache memory, or what? They've always behaved for me...
      the first celeron (covington) was a PII with the L2 chopped off entirely... Once people tried them, celeron became a bad name for a while... the next chip was the famous mendocino, which OC'd like a demon... from there the celeron had a decent following until the s478 celerons came and were a performance flop... a duron with 1/4 the cache of an athlon would kill a celeron with half the cache of a pentium... the netburst concept did not scale down cache wise very well... since then, they have had a bad name...
      sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
        the first celeron (covington) was a PII with the L2 chopped off entirely... Once people tried them, celeron became a bad name for a while... the next chip was the famous mendocino, which OC'd like a demon... from there the celeron had a decent following until the s478 celerons came and were a performance flop... a duron with 1/4 the cache of an athlon would kill a celeron with half the cache of a pentium... the netburst concept did not scale down cache wise very well... since then, they have had a bad name...
        I think a reason why people say the celerons are crap is because the S478 version only has 128Kb L2 cache, whereas some of the S370's had 256Kb L2

Comment

Originally posted by ncovert View Post
          I think a reason why people say the celerons are crap is because the S478 version only has 128Kb L2 cache, whereas some of the S370's had 256Kb L2
          Performance says it all:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/1201

Back then, AMD 1, Intel 0
          sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Too bad sh*tloads of people still think they're junk because when they hear "celeron", they immediately think of the ultra crippled P4's and run away. Pretty much the same story for Pentium D (P4 x2) vs. Pentium Dualcore (Core2 based)..

The Core2 based Celerons (Celeron S4xx and Celeron Dualcore E1xxx and E3xxxx) are actually pretty damn quick and cost next to nothing (last time I bought one new it set me back 32eur for a brand new E3400 dualcore (2x 2.6GHz ; boxed version))

S478 and 775 Celerons (the P4 based ones) are only worth being used as test-cpus. Too much heat, no grunt. A 1.8GHz singlecore Celeron S430 (core2 based) easily kicks a Celeron D 3.xGHz (P4 based) in the butt, while using less than half the power (35W vs. 84W)

Comment

The new LGA1155 dual-core Sandy Bridge Celerons, like the G530 2.4GHz, look very attractive as well. They have Intel "HD" graphics, VT, and a decent 2MB of L3 cache (only 1MB less than the Pentium's 3MB). Being under $60 a piece, dual-core Sandy Bridge Celerons are a very affordable way to have a basic Sandy Bridge PC.

I would purchase a Celeron G530 along with a cheap Intel H61-based motherboard if I had the extra money to waste, since I have some DDR3 RAM laying around from upgrading my main PC.

Originally posted by Scenic View Post
              Too bad sh*tloads of people still think they're junk because when they hear "celeron", they immediately think of the ultra crippled P4's and run away.
              Until I purchased a Celeron E3400 for a cheap Hackintosh experiment I had last year, I thought the same thing, having last experienced a Celeron in the form of a super-slow Northwood Celeron 2.2GHz a couple years back in a budget HP desktop. To my surprise at the time, paired with a GeForce 9600GT and 4GB of DDR2-800 RAM, the Celeron E3400 ran Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.6 without any lag.
              Last edited by Newbie2; 02-20-2012, 01:33 PM.
              My gaming PC:
              AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition 3.3GHz Six-Core CPU (Socket AM3)
              ASUS M4A77TD AMD 770 AM3 Motherboard
              PowerColor AMD Radeon RX 480 8GB GDDR5 PCI-Express x16 3.0 Graphics Card
              G.SKILL Value Series 16GB DDR3-1333 RAM (4x4GB dual channel)
              TOSHIBA DT01ACA200 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD (x2)
              WD Caviar Green WD20EARX 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD
              ASUS Xonar DG 5.1 Channel PCI sound card
              Antec HCG-750M 750W ATX12V v2.32 80 PLUS BRONZE Power Supply
              Antec Three Hundred Mid-Tower Case
              Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
              Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit

Comment

Core 2 Duo E8300 (6MB cache) -> downgraded to Core 2 Duo E7400 (E7300?) (3MB Cache, slower FSB) -> downgraded to Pentium Dualcore E5300 (2MB cache, slower FSB) -> downgraded to Celeron Dualcore E3400 (1MB cache, FSB is the same)

So basically, you have (had?) a triple-crippled Core 2 Duo E8300 lol

Comment

Originally posted by Scenic View Post
                  Core 2 Duo E8300 (6MB cache) -> downgraded to Core 2 Duo E7400 (E7300?) (3MB Cache, slower FSB) -> downgraded to Pentium Dualcore E5300 (2MB cache, slower FSB) -> downgraded to Celeron Dualcore E3400 (1MB cache, FSB is the same)

So basically, you have (had?) a triple-crippled Core 2 Duo E8300 lol
                  Never thought of it that way!

Anyway I no longer own the Celeron E3400; I upgraded the PC it was in to a Pentium E6600 3.06GHz that I got, as well as removing Snow Leopard (scrapping the Hackintosh status as well) since I got sick of it. It's running good old Windows 7 now.

My E3400 now belongs to my mother in her PC; that E3400 with 8GB of DDR2-800 RAM and a basic GeForce 8400GS graphics card on Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit smoothly run her needs of Internet, e-mail, and MS Office 2007 applications. Sounds like what Intel intends these Celerons to be used for.
                  My gaming PC:
                  AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition 3.3GHz Six-Core CPU (Socket AM3)
                  ASUS M4A77TD AMD 770 AM3 Motherboard
                  PowerColor AMD Radeon RX 480 8GB GDDR5 PCI-Express x16 3.0 Graphics Card
                  G.SKILL Value Series 16GB DDR3-1333 RAM (4x4GB dual channel)
                  TOSHIBA DT01ACA200 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD (x2)
                  WD Caviar Green WD20EARX 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD
                  ASUS Xonar DG 5.1 Channel PCI sound card
                  Antec HCG-750M 750W ATX12V v2.32 80 PLUS BRONZE Power Supply
                  Antec Three Hundred Mid-Tower Case
                  Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
                  Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit

Comment

Working...
                  X