Dell 3008wfp faulty power supply

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dell 3008wfp faulty power supply

Wow - that is really bad - not seen anything like that on here. Id guess heat and age these are known to run hot. I dont know if you can get replacements. If you try a repire might be easier to cut the wires near the pins and solder rather than trying to solder to the pins with a piece of heatshrink tube over the join, but it might all be just too bulky.
    Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

Originally posted by selldoor View Post
      Wow - that is really bad - not seen anything like that on here. Id guess heat and age these are known to run hot. I dont know if you can get replacements. If you try a repire might be easier to cut the wires near the pins and solder rather than trying to solder to the pins with a piece of heatshrink tube over the join, but it might all be just too bulky.
      Looks like fuse was damaged by these unisolated wires. I'll try to solder new wires like you suggested. Wish me good luck and wait for a news

Comment

Yes - good luck with that- I would test each joint with a meter as you go before you cover it up rather than get to the end and not know where to start checking.
        Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair

Comment

I got a new Tcon board for my display but it didn't make a difference. It seems that it's the bonding that's broken. At first I could make the problem disappear by applying pressure at it but now it doesn't seem to have effect anymore. Buying a new panel is not cost effective so I'll probably break the display apart and put the parts on eBay.

Comment

Here I am again. So I soldered wires, did new cable. It took some hours to do this job. Also changed fuse and as the result the monitor comes back. However as you can see in the pictures there are some blinking points and lines sometimes more and sometimes less. I think it's because soldering causes some suppression. But now I know if I'll buy a new cable it will work fine. I found it on Ebay for about 30 pounds.
            Attached Files

Comment

That is very impressive - well done - I hope a new cable makes it as new.
              Perhaps wait a while to see if anyone has any other ideas before buying.

Have you cleaned the flat plug carefully and make sure it did not just move during re assembly

Comment

My monitor still lies dead *sigh*

Comment

Did it test good and did you try resoldering or have you been having a rest from it? Presumably you have not seen any posts that help you.

Comment

None of the posts since mine have been the same problem;
                    I've simply been to lazy to try resoldering in the mean time! I will have a crack at it tomorrow!

EDIT: I did just plug it in for a second just for luck, and nothing happened on the monitor, however I could hear a rather high pitched noise? One which I suspect would be too high for most adults to hear.
                    Last edited by fuus; 11-30-2012, 04:17 PM.

Comment

In addition, can anyone remember how far the Power Cable into the the back of the LCD should slide? Mine has a visible strip of white which I don't think should be there? I can't tease it in any further :/

Comment

WOW! I have the same issue!

Hey guys,

BTW, I was able to fix 2 supplies and got one monitor working...YOU GUYS ROCK!

HOWEVER, in trying to troubleshoot the monitor that won't work, I did test the panel, and swapped out the supply, but it didn't work. Long story short, I isolated the issue to the logic board, but I noticed something disturbing.

On the non-working monitor, I saw EXACTLY what kazkasneaiskaus was referring to, as all of the cabling was melted to the BARE wires!

On the working one, it looked fine, but was also getting to the point of melting, as I can see that the cables sheathing was crumbling literally in my fingers.

And I will attribute it to HEAT, as there is a heatsink literally inches away from that cabling. It really needs a heatshield for that cabling.

So for those of you who have issues with lights on, but no display, check out that cable for starters. Might give you something to go on...but what a NASTY design! If any of you guys use these in a 7/24/365 environment, I hope you invested in an extended warranty.

Good luck, and THANKS TO the original finder of this issue. It saved one of my monitors, and I just have to figure out the 2nd one's logic board issues after I replace the video cable.

Originally posted by kazkasneaiskaus View Post
                        It is 2A and 63v it's written under it.
                        However I noticed another big problem. The cable wich connects the main bord to video imputs board is totally broken. It looks like all wires isolation is crubled. How could it happen? Heat? Sometimes when you search for small things you do't note an obvious things.
                        Attached Files

Comment

For those struggling with dis assembly, if any? There is a great guide HERE: http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/sho...php?t=18460501

Comment

Another successful result here! Many thanks to everyone who has taken the time and effort to post guides, information, pictures and feedback here.

I purchased a pair of 3008’s around 4 years ago, which have seen pretty heavy use over the past few years. Around middle of last year, one of them turned off while in use, and I couldn’t get it started again. I tried 2 or 3 TV repair shops, who at little to no cost had a good look at it but were unable to get it going again. After stumbling upon this thread, I thought I would give it a go myself!

Taking the monitor apart was a little tricky, make sure you use the right tools and take your time – there really is no sense in hurrying any of this. There are lots of good posts in this thread on how to do this bit, plus the thread at the OCUK forums (http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/sho...php?t=18460501).

I was a little put off by the soldering part – like many people who have found this thread, I haven’t touched a soldering iron since DT class at school. I managed to borrow a 25W unit from work with some lead solder. This really struggled to make much impact on the power supply joints. Homebase (of all places) had a 40W unit in stock with alternative heads, this plus the hairdryer trick and a solder sucker was just about enough to desolder and remove the heat sink and dead diode. Getting the new diode on and the heatsink back, with a little time and patience, was a fair bit easier.

I put the metal casing on and soak tested the monitor for a few hours before putting it back together. It’s now been going for around 5 hours without fault.

Once again, thanks a million to everyone for helping to turn my monitor back from an expensive and shiny paperweight, back into a working screen!

Comment

This is a great thread and seems to have helped a lot of people. I have been given a monitor that had the same problem and was fixed by replacing D22. It work for a while and then failed again. Does anyone have any suggestions on what else I can check? (yes I have checked D22 and it seems OK, not a short).

Comment

Originally posted by RGBNZ View Post
                                This is a great thread and seems to have helped a lot of people. I have been given a monitor that had the same problem and was fixed by replacing D22. It work for a while and then failed again. Does anyone have any suggestions on what else I can check? (yes I have checked D22 and it seems OK, not a short).
                                The word "fail" can mean a lot of things. You will have to give everyone more detail of what the symptoms are. Power led on/off?, initial image for a few seconds, then off?, etc. Any details/observations you can give can only help us help you. In addition, post some clear focused photos (using manage attachments) of the top and bottom of YOUR board as someone may see something you missed.

Comment

An update on my situation: http://imgur.com/a/k7B0L/all

I've messed up the soldering so badly.

Anyone recommend a cloth to use to remove those areas of browny greasy stuff? It's flux

EDIT: Almost positive I've lifted the pads now. FML.
                                  Last edited by fuus; 01-08-2013, 12:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jetadm123 View Post
                                    The word "fail" can mean a lot of things. You will have to give everyone more detail of what the symptoms are. Power led on/off?, initial image for a few seconds, then off?, etc. Any details/observations you can give can only help us help you. In addition, post some clear focused photos (using manage attachments) of the top and bottom of YOUR board as someone may see something you missed.
                                    I was under the impression that this thread was dedicated to information on repairing the Dell 3800wfp monitor with has a faulty power supply meaning it will not turn on. So when I say that it has failed again after being repaired, the mode of failure has not changed. The monitor will not power up. I apologise for my brevity.

I have also attached a series of pictures of the Power supply and LCD controller board (???), I'm not much a photographer, sorry. Please let me know if you want close up of any significant part.

Another question, can I power up the psu board without a load, and check the outputs? or will that produce false readings?

Ross
                                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by RGBNZ View Post
                                      Another question, can I power up the psu board without a load, and check the outputs? or will that produce false readings?
                                      1) Look at your connectors and see if there is a pin labeled PS_ON or equivalent.

2) Disconnect all boards.

3) PS_ON usually needs to be > 3V to turn on SMPS. You can generate 3V by hooking up a 3V CR2032 battery or using 2 AA batteries in series.

4) Check your PSU DC voltages with a multimeter to see if they match the connectors labels.

5) Yes, you can get "false" readings because the SMPS might run fine without a load, but fail when a load is present.

6) Now that I have answered your questions, in any electronics device, the most important DC voltage to check for first is standby power. Standby power is "on" as soon as you plug the AC plug into a working outlet. It is usually 5V and could be marked 5V SB.
                                      --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by fuus View Post
                                        An update on my situation: http://imgur.com/a/k7B0L/all

I've messed up the soldering so badly.
                                        Anyone recommend a cloth to use to remove those areas of browny greasy stuff? It's flux

EDIT: Almost positive I've lifted the pads now. FML.
                                        Hmm - Pictures need to be clearer - you should have been
                                        practicing - later ones are a bit better.

Board !! I am sure I have seen worse but not sure when.

Clean it up with isopropyl alcohol and a soft toothbrush
                                        if you have already lifted any pads be extra careful. Mop up alcohol+flux with paper towel then probably do it again.

Try and get good clear pic/s of the main damage areas after cleaning.
                                        Attached Files

Comment

Hey Selldoor. I don't think any of the traces or surface mounted components are damaged but feel free to judge again from the pictures now I've cleaned it up!!

Thank you, Fuus
                                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                          X