Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Issue with Westinghouse 19" LCD Monitor (large pics)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Issue with Westinghouse 19" LCD Monitor (large pics)

Originally posted by r00t4rd3d
    Does that mean you want it ?

Is it just me or does think forum stick alot ? If I click the reply button or post button it just hangs....
    Hello
    The answer to that is NO
    But I had much the same problem early today for a short while
    May be TC tweaking things

Comment

YAY ! My monitor is back up and working again. I got the power board from ebay today and popped it in. No problems. The guy even removed the sound stuff for me and I didnt even ask him too , I just asked if it was possible to remove it.

Totally worth the 45 bucks in my brain.

If anyone else is circuit board challenged :

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Get one !

Comment

Does that mean you want it ?
        Yes.
        There are 10 kind of people in this world: those that understand binary, and those who don't.
        • ASUS ROG Maximus IX Code
        • Intel Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz
        • 16gb GSKILL TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200
        • 1 M2 SSD + 2 WD Blue 1TB (Mirrored)
        • Windows 10 Pro x64
        • GeForce GT1050
          2 x Acer KA240H + 1 Vewsonic VP2130 21 (a cap replacement job )

Comment

YAY ! My monitor is back up and working again. I got the power board from ebay today and popped it in. No problems. The guy even removed the sound stuff for me and I didnt even ask him too , I just asked if it was possible to remove it.

Totally worth the 45 bucks in my brain.

If anyone else is circuit board challenged :

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Get one !

Good for you
          There are 10 kind of people in this world: those that understand binary, and those who don't.
          • Windows 10 Pro x64
          • GeForce GT1050

Comment

Originally posted by Bobdee
            Hello
            The answer to that is NO
            But I had much the same problem early today for a short while
            May be TC tweaking things
            Hi Bob. Good to know you didn't quit on us ...!
            • Windows 10 Pro x64
            • GeForce GT1050

Comment

ok, I was finally able to get to this project and had 2 of the caps done. When I went on to the 3rd I noticed that the size was different. The 1000uf25v is larger than what is on the board.

What I purchased was the
              EEU-FC1E102
              CAP 1000UF 25V ELECT FC RADIAL

see image for size difference.

If this will work that is awesome b/c I don't want to pay $8 in shipping for 2 more caps. To me everything seems the same...except the size

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfman
                ok, I was finally able to get to this project and had 2 of the caps done. When I went on to the 3rd I noticed that the size was different. The 1000uf25v is larger than what is on the board.

What I purchased was the
                EEU-FC1E102
                CAP 1000UF 25V ELECT FC RADIAL

see image for size difference.

If this will work that is awesome b/c I don't want to pay $8 in shipping for 2 more caps. To me everything seems the same...except the size
                When choosing a replacement cap the capacitance and voltage are the important parameters; it also must fit into the available space, the physical size isn't otherwise important.

<Lewd comment about your posting an oversize picture to impress the ladies omitted.>

PlainBill
                For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Well I went ahead and changed them anyway b/c I knew it would be another week before I could get to it again....Just wanted to let you know that it works!!! The TV comes on and works like a charm....

thanks for everyone that has contributed to this forum that has made it so much easier for a beginner like me to resurrect this TV

Thanks

Comment

That is why in post 228, I asked about diameter and size of your order. If it fits, just leave it. :-)

Glad you got it working.

Originally posted by Wolfman
                    When I went on to the 3rd I noticed that the size was different. The 1000uf25v is larger than what is on the board.
                    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

So nice I found a mate! I believe I have the same Westinghouse 19" TV/Monitor as snowcrashed but I have the same circuit board DAC-19M015 in my hand right now. The set wont power up. In fact it doesn't show any sign of power. So I opened it up and trying to make sure that the problem is with the power supply unit i.e. DAC-19M015 Rev. 02A. I just went through all the posts and found some such units (esp. snowcrashed's one) started working replacing the caps. But how do I know if the problem is with the power unit or other area? Could anyone of you please help me with information on how to determine if it is the power supply? I checked the voltages across all the caps and found reasonable voltages. If I am not wrong, a bad cap should make a short circuit and therefore there will be zero or close to zero voltage across. Please let me know what I am missing. Thanks in advance!

Comment

Oh! By the way.. I forgot to say hello to you all since I am a new member here.. I think I am lucky that I am.

Comment

Originally posted by leprocoa
                          The set wont power up. In fact it doesn't show any sign of power.

I checked the voltages across all the caps and found reasonable voltages.
                          Does the power LED come on at all?

What voltages reading did you get and where? Did you get something like 3.3V, 5V, or 12V DC on the logic card? Did you get mains (like 120V or 240V DC) at the main filter capacitor?
                          --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Thanks retiredcaps for response! No, the power LED does not come at all. Since it does not have a hard power button, the LED was expected to come on as long as the TV/Monitor is plugged in. Pressing the soft power button the LED was supposed to change the color. I dont remember what color though After opening it up, when I plug in the SMPS section all I get is the faint oscillation noise. Does it mean it is working?

The voltages I referred to was that measured against the two pins of each of the capacitors. Also by 'reasonable voltage' I meant to say that the voltages were safely below the range of the related capacitors. For example, I got 160v DC against the 100 micro farad 400v cap, 5.5v DC against 2200 microfarad 10v cap and so on. If you want all the voltages of all the caps, then I will take the measurements again and post them for u.

Comment

So nice I found a mate! I believe I have the same Westinghouse 19" TV/Monitor as snowcrashed but I have the same circuit board DAC-19M015 in my hand right now. The set wont power up. In fact it doesn't show any sign of power. So I opened it up and trying to make sure that the problem is with the power supply unit i.e. DAC-19M015 Rev. 02A. I just went through all the posts and found some such units (esp. snowcrashed's one) started working replacing the caps. But how do I know if the problem is with the power unit or other area? Could anyone of you please help me with information on how to determine if it is the power supply? I checked the voltages across all the caps and found reasonable voltages. If I am not wrong, a bad cap should make a short circuit and therefore there will be zero or close to zero voltage across. Please let me know what I am missing. Thanks in advance!
                              Actually, you are wrong. In most cases, a bad cap will NOT show a short across it, and the voltage will be 'reasonable'.

It appears there is a legend on the connector to the logic card. Those voltages are the only important ones. Make the measurements with the logic card connected. If they match the legends, and none of the caps are bulging, it is unlikely this is a case of bad capacitors.

PlainBill
                              For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Originally posted by PlainBill
                                <Lewd comment about your posting an oversize picture to impress the ladies omitted.>

PlainBill

GRRRR!!! I'm sooo tired of scrolling to read posts (only 1280x800 on my notebook) and the crap quality pic certainly wasn't worth it......
                                36 Monitors, 3 TVs, 4 Laptops, 1 motherboard, 1 Printer, 1 iMac, 2 hard drive docks and one IP Phone repaired so far....

Comment

Thanks Plainbill for the info that a bad cap does not always show short. Well, you were talking about bulging.. that draws my attention.. I haven't notice before there are 2 caps bulging a little bit. One 2200 microfarad 10v, and one 1000 microfarad 25v. Are they going to be my prime suspect now?
                                  BTW.. is there any short form to say 'microfarad' in here? I dont see any option to type in the greek letter 'mu'

Comment

Thanks Plainbill for the info that a bad cap does not always show short. Well, you were talking about bulging.. that draws my attention.. I haven't notice before there are 2 caps bulging a little bit. One 2200 microfarad 10v, and one 1000 microfarad 25v. Are they going to be my prime suspect now?
                                    BTW.. is there any short form to say 'microfarad' in here? I dont see any option to type in the greek letter 'mu'
                                    The rule of thumb I use is if any caps are bad I will replace all of them. Here in the USA, I order from Digikey. It costs about $10.00 (including shipping) to replace all the caps (except the large 100uF, 450 volt one).

To enter the mu symbol press and hold the Alt key, then type 0181 on the numeric keypad.

PlainBill

Comment

Okay, so I should replace all the caps ? Well, I can see two types of capacitors here. Whole list is as follows:
                                      1 x CapXon KF 105°c 100uF 400v
                                      1 x CapXon KF 105°c 2200uF 25v
                                      2 x CapXon KF 105°c 1000uF 25v
                                      1 x CapXon KF 105°c 1000uF 10v
                                      2 x CapXon GL 105°c 470uF 25v
                                      2 x CapXon GL 105°c 47uF 50v

I will go to digikey per your suggestion. But what do you suggest me to buy? I have read some negative comments about CapXon on this forum..

Comment

Okay, so I should replace all the caps ? Well, I can see two types of capacitors here. Whole list is as follows:

I will go to digikey per your suggestion. But what do you suggest me to buy? I have read some negative comments about CapXon on this forum..
                                        Negative does not begin to describe the opinion Capxon deserves. Garbage, trash, offal, junk all are more appropriate.

Here's a short post on selecting capacitors. I prefer Panasonic FMs. Also, I suggest specifying shipping by USPS First Class Mail. That gets them in your hands in two days at a cost of about $2.00.

Oh, and you may want to post a list of your selections just in case. Also, double check the diameter and height of the caps you intend to buy against the space available. You wouldn't be the first guy who discovered the monitor worked, but he couldn't get the back on.

PlainBill
                                        Last edited by PlainBill; 07-18-2010, 08:05 AM.

Comment

Replace them ALL.
                                          Look for shorts on MOSFETS too
                                          • Windows 10 Pro x64
                                          • GeForce GT1050

Comment

Working...
                                          X