X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Great Capacitor Showdown - Rubycon vs Panasonic vs Samxon

Originally posted by WeStSiDePLaYa
    BUT:

unless these boards are all run with the exact same psu, with exact same componets and settings, the results will be almost completely useless.

They will be. I've been doing things like this for quite some time.
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Comment

let me see if i have a kt7 raid in the pile here.if i still have it its yours for the test.iirc there is one floating around at the shop with teapo's on it and complaints of lockups.

Comment

Originally posted by Super Nade
        TC,
        If you need another MB+CPU let me know. I have an ASUS A7V gathering dust on my table. I could send that out for you to recap and do whatever you please with it.
        What CPU is it? The motherboard wouldn't be much use to this experiment, as westside stated, everything needs to be matching.
        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
        Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat
          ...its not necessary to replace those tiny 100uF caps, as their failure rate is pretty much non-existant.
          Have you ever measure parameters ? I try it on 100uF GSG ant it has had too bad specs
          Honny & -HoNY- not brothers, but friends who lives in same town

Comment

d say your best bet would to create some other sort dedicated pcb design
            well what better to simulate the conditions on a motherboard (which is what we are interested in) than a motherboard?

seems the psu issue is sorted. that is really important.

i would vote for chemicon KZG for another test series since we have seen a few probs with that series recently and it is very common on boards.
            capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

Thanks for including the Sanyo caps, I've used the cap below the WG in quality; WX on many repairs and as of yet no problems...
              "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

The latest on the project:

A very special thanks goes out to David Forster of Antec for contributing FOUR HE550 PSU's to the experiment. The cases I'm looking at for this experiment have some no-name PSU's (chiefmax or some off the wall shit), and I felt it better if good PSU's were used. There has been some debate as to Antec's quality in the recent past, and this will be a good opportunity for them to clear their name as well. I'll disect one of the units to see what brand of caps are living in it, but other than that, these units will not be modified in any way. This will be a good test for them for how they perform right off the shelf. My personal experiences with Antec has been good, I can honestly say. I've seen a few dead ones, but on that note, I've seen a lot fewer dead Antecs than say Powmax, enermax, and other shoddy brands such as deer and so on. My personal fav PSU is Zippy, but they're geared more toward the IT/server market, and are very expensive.

As for the HE550 units themselves, they are very impressive IMO. Well designed casings (units are actually heavy and quite beefy), nice long cables, and connectors for any possible configuration imaginable. These units are gross overkill for the experiment at hand, so power issues will definitely not be an issue..... Hell, I've ran a fully loaded KT7 system on a cheapy 250W PSU with no issues.

Since I received units, I think its best to keep the experiment closed at 4 systems, otherwise I'll have to track down more of these, and I wouldn't feel right requesting more of them from Antec, as they've contributed plenty as it is IMO.

Once again, a VERY SPECIAL THANKS to
                DAVID FORSTER
                Director of Channel Relations
                http://www.antec.com/

Here's some pics of the units:

Attached Files
                <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                Team Stats

Comment

Well nic step from Antec. It is no doubth that Antec`s psu are way bether than any cheap unbranded one, except thos Fuhiyu caps (wich are widely used in many if not most "normal" e.g cheap psu`s). Any way, i think there would probably no outcome until 12 or 24 months. Then the Fuhiyu (if still used) caps would probably worn out, leading to massive ripple. It would be a great idear to chek ripple on this units too with an o`scope.
                  Well if those units last more than 24 months withouth problem / high ripple i think i would recomend them. But ATM i don`t do that with anything containing probably badcaps.

Comment

awesome! i agree, no more fuhjyyu. for antec rep to sent four psu to badcaps owner site, they must have been realized about how important good caps are in the psu.
                    days are so short when you actually do something..

Comment

TC, the CPU is a Mobile Barton 2200 (I think). I have not powered this board up. It is full of OST Caps. Do you still need it? It would be easier for me to send out both the board and the CPU.
                      Q6700 @ 3.6 GHz
                      Zippy GSM-6600P
                      Curcial Ballistix PC6400 (4 x 1Gb) Micron D9GMH
                      Abit IP35Pro
                      ATi HD4870

Comment

Originally posted by Super Nade
                        TC, the CPU is a Mobile Barton 2200 (I think). I have not powered this board up. It is full of OST Caps. Do you still need it? It would be easier for me to send out both the board and the CPU.
                        It wouldn't be of much use to this experiment, as things need to be identical. However, if you just want to get it off your closet floor, I'd gladly take it. I'd recap it and make it a folding system until I found a needy kid to donate the box to.

Shoot me a PM if you want.

Thx
                        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                        Team Stats

Comment

Super Nade: If the Barton works, I'd consider buying it off you. (My main PC is a Sempron/Thorton core) Depends what Topcat wants though, he had his name in first.

Topcat: Wow, that was a really nice gesture from Antec! It'll be interesting to see what caps they're using now.
                          You know there's something wrong when you open up a PSU and are glad to find Teapos.
                          Why I don't buy cheap cases!

Comment

Originally posted by Shroomie
                            Topcat: Wow, that was a really nice gesture from Antec! It'll be interesting to see what caps they're using now.
                            Known brands i assume... otherwish they wouldn't send any PSUs!

I believe they have rubycons! lets see...

Comment

time to get some nudie pics of those antecs!

Comment

Originally posted by kc8adu
                                .....nudie pics......

before TC or WIll bring up MY name after that, I will say that I've been using Trupower series PSUs for 4 years now. Never had a problem. Pretty damn cool that Antec would pony up 4 PSUs for this test. Situations like this are what companies like.....especially if it shows there stuff is shit-hot.
                                "Its all about the boom....."

Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled drinking.

"Fear accompanies the possibility of death.....calm shepherds its certainty"

Originally posted by Topcat
                                AWD is just training wheels for RWD.

Comment

ive been using the same antec true control, the original model, for years now, all the caps look fine, and ive run the system 24/7 pretty much, even through summers where my room temp touched 35c.

i still want to replace the caps on it though, as 3 or so years of heavy use must have taken its toll on them and reduced their perfomance.
                                  Specs
                                  DFI AM2 LANPARTY UT NF590 SLI-M2R/G
                                  X2 3800+EE AM2
                                  2x1GB OCZ PC2-6400 Platinum XTC
                                  XFX 7900GS
                                  Maxtor 6L250S0
                                  Maxtor 6V300F0
                                  Western Digital WD2500JS
                                  Mushkin HP-550(Cap/Filter Modded)

Cooling
                                  Swiftech Apogee
                                  Swiftech MCW-60
                                  Swiftech MCP-600
                                  HardwareLabes Black Ice Extreme 2

Comment

Topcat - I'm glad you willing eventualy add number five, when anyone can donate it - now just find one who get one spare Abit KT7-R mobo

I do, however, have a bit different opinion about the small caps.

I always replace those nasty Choyo 330uF 25v caps that gigabyte is notorious for using, I've seen those fail on MANY occasions. I also replace Lelon and Teyah 470uF caps...
                                    Exactly that do I.

Otherwise, its not necessary to replace those tiny 100uF caps, as their failure rate is pretty much non-existant.
                                    Unfortunately I see pretty much of the small caps bulging, leaking and machines acting unreliably w/o change of them. So, if there are about 3 or so 100uF caps, why not exchange them to the 120uF Panny FM ones?

I leave the decision up to you, but recaping even the smaller caps could increase the precision and the precisely same conditions for the test
                                    I mean - there is no way we can know/estiminate how the state of the smaller caps on these 4/5 if found boards are, so therefore to get the identical guaranted results we should consider replacing these as well, with some generic tested type - I would vote and can donate these Panny FM from digi-key, but maybe you prefer something like Rubby YXF, even the specs is worser that Panny FM?

WeStSiDePLaYa - I agree with you that we should add these Chemi-cons, however that is up to if anyone can find another mobo...
                                    As far as the PSU goes, these Antec should do it fine - depending on the caps used, of course...

-HoNY- - good point. What caps, Topcat, are these small ones? And aren't we better if there will be these Panny FM ones?

willawake - KZG + Antec failed on me, true. However I did not know a source of KZG. Just KZE... And we are still a board short to test them, so... Keep loking

Big thanks for David Forster for the PSUs! ...but maybe - if there is 5th board, we could get even te 5th PSU?

gonzo0815 - I loved my Antec NEO 480W PSU, however he had the Fuhiyu caps that probably cause my DFI LP B board to die for the ripple and load... Therefore let's see what they are using NOW!
                                    (should be good to note that the imput cap is Rubycon)

yanz - we see witch caps will be there, hehe But the Fuhiyus might help us stress and kill the tested caps easier...

whiz - I had Ruby in Antec in imput, but Fuhyie crap on output...

kc8adu - heheh - Topcat, BadCaps crowd is chanting - open, open, open them...!

stretch0069 - witch caps it have? No scope for ripple check, yep?

WeStSiDePLaYa - pretty hot room, like my one And what caps did you have there anyway? And ripple?
                                    "It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities are wrong." - Voltaire
                                    "I believe that all the people who stand to profit by a war and who help provoke it should be shot on the first day it starts..." - Hemingway my config - my caps

Comment

trodas, but perhaps your failed KZGs is the result of your failed Antec. if KZG is that bad, i would expect all the rig i recapped with them will go back to me after 1 or two years well, about the smallest caps, i agree with you. but if everything is running just right, i would just lazy to recap them too . for the smallest ones, i dont count what in the spec is, because the YXF is just as perfect as FM or even HZ. it even more better with it's long lifetime/endurance i can assure you.

ah, about fuhjyyu again. look at my sig

Attached Files
                                      days are so short when you actually do something..

Comment

i handed a fuhjyyu to the other techs at the shop and asked them to pronounce it.
                                        both studied it a few minutes and after a few tries both came up with fuckyou.

Originally posted by yanz
                                        trodas, but perhaps your failed KZGs is the result of your failed Antec. if KZG is that bad, i would expect all the rig i recapped with them will go back to me after 1 or two years well, about the smallest caps, i agree with you. but if everything is running just right, i would just lazy to recap them too . for the smallest ones, i dont count what in the spec is, because the YXF is just as perfect as FM or even HZ. it even more better with it's long lifetime/endurance i can assure you.

ah, about fuhjyyu again. look at my sig

Comment

Yeah, I pronounce them "fudge you" 'cos I can't think of any other way...

Accurate enough, though.
                                          You know there's something wrong when you open up a PSU and are glad to find Teapos.
                                          Why I don't buy cheap cases!

Comment

Working...
                                          X