Soldering Jacks? Advice Would Be Great!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Soldering Jacks? Advice Would Be Great!

Hi, I'm doing a soldering replacement for my Apple PowerBook's headphones jack. I ordered a broken motherboard of the same PB off eBay and saw that it has 5-6 soldering points like

Code:
    -  -
       -
    - - -
    With capacitors, I heated one side and pushed the rest out, but that won't be possible with this, right? How would I go about doing this?

Thanks!

(P.S. my existing one has a bad sensor that makes my PB mute because it thinks headphones are plugged in even if they arent and Apple is asking for US$500 + $100 labor for replacing the board).
    P C N X . com - Computing News At Your Fingertips

Re: Soldering Jacks? Advice Would Be Great!

maybe heat all soldering points up and pull the jack out when all the solder's melted?
    The great capacitor showdown!

Comment

But the solder points cool so quickly. As soon as I move onto heating the next point the first one will cool down...

Comment

Stupid me! I forgot about that....

Comment

do each joint in turn using solder sucker to remove the solder from the rear of the board. add a little fresh solder first to each joint to ease heating.
          capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

was thinking about giving advice much like willawake's but didn't know if you could use a solder sucker with the lead still in.

Comment

Where are you located? I have access to a kick-ass Pace solder station. It could could take care of your needs quickly. The solder sucker could work depending on the size.

There is another method, but requires a LOT of care. When we used to replace 14pin DIPs, we used to use a plier to destroy the chip ceramic shell. This would leave you with 14 individual pins that could be heated and pulled seperately. Like I said, this requires much care so as not to damage the board and it might not even apply to your situation, but I have just cut away the plastic housing of a jack to get at the pins. Yes...I know its not proper, but sometimes you just need a little bubba tech.
              "Its all about the boom....."

Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled drinking.

"Fear accompanies the possibility of death.....calm shepherds its certainty"

Originally posted by Topcat
              AWD is just training wheels for RWD.

Comment

I live between Canada and Hong Kong; right now, I'm in Hong Kong so that probably won't work.

Another option I've read up on is to use my solder sucker. Would that work? Why does Badcaps not recommend using the sucker more than twice on the same hole? Does it mean if I desolder one point with the sucker twice, I should never use it again even with new solder?

Comment

I just tried desoldering one of the joints on the board. It seems different from desoldering a normal PC motherboard - even with a heated iron the solder doesn't seem to melt. The solder seems glossier too. Any hints?

Comment

Hmm I tried it again and now I see bubbles when I apply the soldering iron. Is this a different type of solder?

Comment

the bubbles are the flux.
                      i trick i have used on multi leaded parts is a custom bent peice of 14g copper house wire bent to touch all leads of the device at once and nothing else.install it as a replacement tip in a weller gun and tin it.heats all pins of your part at once and you can safely pull it out.good trick in an emergency where you are onsite and didnt bring the desoldering station .
                      i once did this on a 40 dip.reheated the pads and dropped in a socket for the new chip.got a "why the hell didnt i think of that"from the shops maintainence guy.
                      the machine had been down for a week when i got there.5 minutes to swap the chip.

Comment

hey kc...thats a pretty cool (anti-pun?????) trick. I never thought of that one.

In my case, I never had the available wire, but I always had a plier.
                        "Its all about the boom....."

Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled drinking.

"Fear accompanies the possibility of death.....calm shepherds its certainty"

Originally posted by Topcat
                        AWD is just training wheels for RWD.

Comment

heh, I've made my own wire tips. Never for that complicated of shape though.

--Randy

Comment

Apparently since Silver has a higher melting point, would I need a different soldering iron?

Comment

Working...
                            X