Samsung LN52A550 inconsistent blue vertical strip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung LN52A550 inconsistent blue vertical strip

I have a Samsung LN52A550 with an inconsistent vertical blue strip problem. The strip affected is maybe 4 inches wide. It always affects the same vertical section (strip) of the screen, but doesn't always extend the entire height or width of the section. It commonly affects toward the top of the screen.

This TV was recently purchased dirt cheap from my wife's coworker because of a power issue. The symptom was "takes forever to power up". Knowing power supply capacitors are a common problem, I picked up the TV for $25 and ordered a capacitor kit. When I looked at the power supply, 4 of the caps were bulging and leaking. I replaced the 4 visibly bad caps and the TV powered right up. Unfortunately I then discovered the issue mentioned above. My wife claims she told me about the "blue strip", but I guess I had selective hearing.

I have done quite a bit of Googling and searched this forum before posting. Some results indicate it could be a bad t-con board. Others indicate bad tabs or even a bad panel. I have yet to find a search result with the exact same symptom.

I am wondering if maybe other caps are faulty and could cause this issue? Could the bad power supply have affected the main board or t-con board? I suppose I should have replaced all caps while I had the supply pulled out.

For what it's worth, I tried all three HDMI inputs and all had the same issue. Strangely, it seemed 720 sources were more affected than 1080. Sometimes the image is perfect for a minute or two regardless of resolution. I will try to catch a picture if anyone thinks it would help or the problem might be fixable.

Re: Samsung LN52A550 inconsistent blue vertical strip

Pictures of you issue will help us to better advise you. Thanks.

Comment

Most likely a tab bond issue on the panel. But pictures of the fault would definitely be a good start.

Comment

I was able to snap a pic that kind of shows what I'm talking about. The wide blue strip is just to the left of center near the top. Sometimes it stretches farther down the screen. Tonight there was also a thin blue vertical line to the far left that wasn't there last night. The curved distortions seemingly radiating from the PBS logo were not visible in real life. They were caused by my phone camera I assume. A few minutes after snapping the pic, both "stripes" have gone away.
        Attached Files

Comment

i would call it horizontal not vertical

Comment

There is a little vertical blue strip from top to bottom on the very left. Since it comes and goes, I'd say its a tab bond.

Comment

Originally posted by CapLeaker View Post
              There is a little vertical blue strip from top to bottom on the very left. Since it comes and goes, I'd say its a tab bond.
              missed that one .. flexing panel might confirm tab bond

Comment

Originally posted by petehall347 View Post
                Thanks for the feedback. Please forgive my ignorance, but flex the panel while it's still in the bezel, or remove the panel?

Maybe I should attempt the fix talked about in this thread?: https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=25371

Comment

flex whilst panel in bezel . i have never had good luck with tap bonds .plenty have though . i just dont have have that bodge it skill like others seem to do easily .

Comment

flex whilst panel in bezel . i have never had good luck with tap bonds .plenty have though . i just dont have have that bodge it skill like others seem to do easily .
                    The thin blue line to the far left appeared again after power up. I pushed or twisted the upper left corner of the bezel and the line went away.

Comment

thinking you need to wedge something in there to make it go away and hope it lasts .. whoever made shit like this needs shooting .

Comment

thinking you need to wedge something in there to make it go away and hope it lasts .. whoever made shit like this needs shooting .
                        LOL. I couldn't agree more. Oh well, at least I'm not out any significant money. I'm also learning something new while tinkering with it.

Comment

I ordered the thermal pad in post #7 (from DigiKey) in the tab bond repair thread: https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=25371. I will post my results after attempting the repair. Thanks to everyone who has offered their expertise.

Comment

right on, Pete!

Comment

Usually is the top left one that acts up first, wonder why that is?

Comment

Working...
                              X