Samsung PS51e6500 plasma tv, bang then no picuture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung PS51e6500 plasma tv, bang then no picuture

Hi there people, so my Tv is about 7 months outside of its 5 year warranty (originally from john lewis).

Apprantly the tv was on and then the noise came and tv went blank, family tried to turn it on but nothing just the red led flashing.

Now as there is o warranrty left and me being me i dont want to part with it yet i opened it up and had a lool.

I think there is a blue component on a rectangle board on the left side (think the y sus board).

But i have checked the power board and with the negative from meter going on the tv chasis / ground or whilst touching a screw in the tv and the red going on the vs and va terminals there is no reading, have also checked on the 2 ribbon cables coming off the power board on vs and va and again no reading on meter

Does this mean the cause is more than likely a power board?

Any help is appreciated, thanks

Re: Samsung PS51e6500 plasma tv, bang then no picuture

You will need to read up on basic testing of plasma sets as set out in the sticky above. Is there any obvious blown component, pictures of boards, voltage readings set in standby and when switched on. Just too many variables so full info required if help is to be forthcoming.

Comment

Pics?
      Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Hi there people, please the attached pics

The 2nd pic shows the vs and va terminals that when checked with my meter shows nothing, both with other boards connected to the power and without

The 3rd pic shows the only component that could be burnt out on the far left board I think the y sus. So could it be both he power and y sus boards I need to order??
        Attached Files

Comment

Don't be rushing to buy boards. There is a safety circuit when a fault detected that turns the Vs Va off. Also the main board (inputs) and control board are involved as well. An initial suspect is generally the ysus board and you do have a ceramic capacitor marked. What do the legends have printed near the connectors on psu as there are checks yet to do to see if it is OK.
          Last edited by maxvalutech; 05-24-2018, 06:32 PM.

Comment

I would check the diode behind the cap. and change the cap. or at least remove the cap if it is shorted, You may get lucky and the cap is the only problem. If there is a short somewhere on the ysus, the power supply WILL shut down.
            That burnt cap. does seem to be across the vsc
            Last edited by R_J; 05-24-2018, 07:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by maxvalutech View Post
              Don't be rushing to buy boards. There is a safety circuit when a fault detected that turns the Vs Va off. Also the main board (inputs) and control board are involved as well. An initial suspect is generally the ysus board and you do have a ceramic capacitor marked. What do the legends have printed near the connectors on psu as there are checks yet to do to see if it is OK.

Cheers mate but you might need to dumb it down for me loll.

In regatds to the pwoer board and the vs and va voltages i have checked this with both ribbon cable discinnevted from that power board so nothing other than that power board is being checked so to speak

What legends do you mean mate on the vs and va board? There are a lot

Also that blue thing in the 3rd pic is that a capacitor? If that has blown on the y sus board then can that cause the power board to stop showing voltages, surely not if the ribbon cable is unplugged?

Comment

That "blue thing" is a disc capacitor. ?31 is the value (I can't make out the first number, is it a 3?) it is likely 1kv or 2kv voltage rating.
                That cap is BAD. if it is shorted it will kill the power going to it. Did you at least check if that part IS shorted????
                You can not check the power boards Vs without a load, without a load the voltage will go too high (OVP) and the power supply will shut it down.
                If there is a short somewhere on the Ysus or Zsus the power supply will shut down (OCP)the Vs
                OVP= over voltage protection
                OVC= over current protection
                Attached Files
                Last edited by R_J; 05-25-2018, 10:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by R_J View Post
                  That "blue thing" is a disc capacitor. ?31 is the value (I can't make out the first number, is it a 3?) it is likely 1kv or 2kv voltage rating.
                  That cap is BAD. if it is shorted it will kill the power going to it. Did you at least check if that part IS shorted????
                  You can not check the power boards Vs without a load, without a load the voltage will go too high (OVP) and the power supply will shut it down.
                  If there is a short somewhere on the Ysus or Zsus the power supply will shut down (OCP)the Vs
                  OVP= over voltage protection
                  OVC= over current protection
                  thanks rj, have just double checked and that cap is shorting out, have checked others aswell and they are fine so thats 1 thing.

Never knew that without a load going out the vs and va would not work or power up, so it seems like either changing the cap or just get a new y sus board??

Comment

ok people, i ordered a y sus board, got it this morning put it in but again nothing just the red led flashing twice than 1 sec pause then twice again

1 thing i noticed when turining tv on there was a whiring or buzzing sound from new board but then that went away.

Also still getting no power on va or vs terminals

And there is a slight difference between my board and the new one but it might not matter, plz see pics attached

Also any idea what to do next plz ppl?
                    Attached Files

Comment

Hopefully you replaced all the screws securely back into the board before turning on the set otherwise you may well have damaged the replacement board which I suspect has happened.

The boards do look different but I don't know if this would be the issue. There's a second heatsink with a transistor/mosfet mounted on it at the bottom of the picture of the old board (to the left) which is not on the new board
                      Last edited by dick_barton; 06-05-2018, 06:56 AM.
                      Willing to help but I'm no expert.

Comment

Originally posted by dick_barton View Post
                        Hopefully you replaced all the screws securely back into the board before turning on the set otherwise you may well have damaged the replacement board which I suspect has happened.

The boards do look different but I don't know if this would be the issue. There's a second heatsink with a transistor/mosfet mounted on it at the bottom of the picture of the old board (to the left) which is not on the new board
                        yes mate that to, noticed after i put the post up, no all the screws were in before i turned it on

im just wondering why there is not voltage on the vs and va still, shouldnt there be something?

Comment

With the set off can you check the resistance from VA and VS to ground to ensure no short circuit.

Comment

With the set off can you check the resistance from VA and VS to ground to ensure no short circuit.
                            ok mate, so ground to va nothing, but ground to vs there is a short. when i disconnect the cable going to the right hand buffer which then has another ribbon on the top going to the y sus the short stops, is that a buffer prob or ysus or something else lol

appreciate the help mate

Comment

You know there's a short on the VS line so if you disconnect the ribbon cable that connects the two boards and check VS to Ground on each board at their connectors to identify which board (or both boards) are shorted.

Comment

so when there is a short and i disconnect the ribbon going to the y sus (but keep the wire from the power to the right hand buffer) the short clears

Also if i disconnect the y sus from the buffer next to it (on the left hand side) the short is still there but again if i disconnect the cable going to y sus short clears.

This is on both y sus my old 1 and new 1

so have i been sent out a dodgy y sus?

Comment

Possibly or possibly due to the wrong replacement Ysus.
                                  So when you checked the VS to Ground on the YSUS with the power cable removed the short circuit is still there.
                                  Attached Files

Comment

Possibly or possibly due to the wrong replacement Ysus.
                                    So when you checked the VS to Ground on the YSUS with the power cable removed the short circuit is still there.
                                    No short after i disconnect the cable going from xsus to y sus

Even if i disconnect y sus from y buffer the short is still there only when i disconnect the y sus short clears from vs to anywhere on chasis of tv on loop or resistance on meter

Comment

Ok people, update on this.

Ordered a new Y sus, exactly the same as my old 1 including the AA2 version number, no short on this when testing.

Turn the tv on and this time the standby light doesnt flash red every second, BUTT no picture only sound when i connect via hdmi to my sky box

Could the buffers be damaged?

Comment

With the new board in place are all your voltages as per shown on the panel. Va, Vs, Ve, etc.
                                        If they are then try the panel self test.

Comment

Working...
                                        X