Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to replace a 160 pin IC in a few minutes!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to replace a 160 pin IC in a few minutes!

Hi guys, check out this video I made on how to replace a 160 pin IC in a few minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fz5YQ_L4YA

Let me know what you think?

Re: How to replace a 160 pin IC in a few minutes!

Originally posted by michael dranfield View Post
    Hi guys, check out this video I made on how to replace a 160 pin IC in a few minutes.

Another good video a bottom heater certainly helps things and proves i guess you can manage to change such a large chip using cheaper equiptment.
    Is there still a demand for sky box repairs?

Comment

I wouldn't have though so since you can pick them up almost free on the internet. Nice video. Shame the camera doesn't quite focus in and a bottom heater certainly looks like a must have. Maybe you could you use the kitchen oven to do the preheat?
      Willing to help but I'm no expert.

Comment

Great video! Always fun to see someone change these type of chips. And you have some serious equipment in your workshop for doing repairs. Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Originally posted by dick_barton View Post
          I wouldn't have though so since you can pick them up almost free on the internet. Nice video. Shame the camera doesn't quite focus in and a bottom heater certainly looks like a must have. Maybe you could you use the kitchen oven to do the preheat?
          I was just curious theres a few sky boxes still in use i guess i wonder how reliable they are and yes sky boxes are cheap and can be used for freeview channels etc but i dont think you can swop the viewing cards to a diffrent box so people may get them repaired i guess and yes that bottom pre heater would come in very handy.

Comment

Nice one, I normally use hotair and flux to do things like that
            Please Do Not PM My Page Asking For Help Badcaps Is The Place For Advise, Page Linked For Business Reasons Only. Anyone Doing So Will Be Banned Instantly !

https://www.facebook.com/Telford-Tel...7894576335359/

Comment

Pre heating of the board is essential for surface mounted re work not only does it reduce the time you have heat from the top it also reduces thermal stress on the board itself and the surrounding components ,prevents board de lamination from excessive heating times ,prevents cracking in nearby ceramic capacitors ,the benefits are endles ,exactly the same as you would not poor boiling water on a frozen car windscreen in winter .
              There is virtually no demand for sky boxes anymore and this video was to only made to demonstrate how important it is to pre heat PCB s prior to rework and secondly you no longer need to spend over 7k on rework equipment you can do produce exatcley the same results with a black and decker hot air paint stripper !
              By the way the board pre heater I was using can be bought on e bay for less than £100 but however you remove chips you are still going to need a cheap pace soldering station and wave tips for hand soldering.in the video I did not use the MBT250 as the pre heater is on the other side of the bench,I was using small pace temperature controlled soldering iron but these are less than £300 .

Comment

Hello VinceRoger69,
                I bought a Sky box with wifi several weeks ago for well under £20 and just transferred my viewing card to the new unit. No issues.

Comment

Pre heating of the board is essential for surface mounted re work not only does it reduce the time you have heat from the top it also reduces thermal stress on the board itself and the surrounding components ,prevents board de lamination from excessive heating times ,prevents cracking in nearby ceramic capacitors ,the benefits are endles ,exactly the same as you would not poor boiling water on a frozen car windscreen in winter .
                  There is virtually no demand for sky boxes anymore and this video was to only made to demonstrate how important it is to pre heat PCB s prior to rework and secondly you no longer need to spend over 7k on rework equipment you can do produce exatcley the same results with a black and decker hot air paint stripper !
                  By the way the board pre heater I was using can be bought on e bay for less than £100 but however you remove chips you are still going to need a cheap pace soldering station and wave tips for hand soldering.in the video I did not use the MBT250 as the pre heater is on the other side of the bench,I was using small pace temperature controlled soldering iron but these are less than £300 .
                  Yeah I know what you mean as I noticed when I use hotair the board does boe a fair bit which is not good but I dont have the space for a pre heat atm. Keep up the vids though.
                  Please Do Not PM My Page Asking For Help Badcaps Is The Place For Advise, Page Linked For Business Reasons Only. Anyone Doing So Will Be Banned Instantly !

Comment

Yes as you can see I am new to making videos and I had to get my daughter to post it on u tube ,I don't have a clue how it's done .but I am thinking perhaps I need to buy a proper video camera to do these sort of things .

Comment

Yes as you can see I am new to making videos and I had to get my daughter to post it on u tube ,I don't have a clue how it's done .but I am thinking perhaps I need to buy a proper video camera to do these sort of things .
                      A better camera would be good, also you need to learn how to use rendering software it will help you alot and can make your videos full screen.

Comment

Originally posted by vinceroger69 View Post
                        I was just curious theres a few sky boxes still in use i guess i wonder how reliable they are and yes sky boxes are cheap and can be used for freeview channels etc but i dont think you can swop the viewing cards to a diffrent box so people may get them repaired i guess and yes that bottom pre heater would come in very handy.
                        No but you can reprogrammed the flash so you have two boxes with the same serial number so the card works in both boxes.

Comment

Hello Michael,
                          A good easy to focus camera and you'll be away. Keep up the good work.

Comment

I subbed you Michael sub back to me ?
                            Last edited by ReeceyBurger123; 03-05-2016, 04:43 PM.

Comment

Hello Michael,
                              A good easy to focus camera and you'll be away. Keep up the good work.
                              Seen some video cameras on e bay for about £30 but I think one with a front facing screen would be good so I can actually see what I am recording !

Comment

Sony Cx200 which is what I use is very good apart from the zoom lol

Comment

Couldn't have done it any better, but I do prefer my hot air rework station. A1! Keep 'em coming!

Comment

Nice video! Well done
                                    A better camera and I would be a subscriber to your You Tube channel!

Comment

Thank you for the comment , I quite agree, I need a better camera and to learn some better video skills but please take into account this is the first time I have ever done any thing like this before , I am an electronics engineer not a photographer !
                                      However poor the video is it still highlights the importance of pre heating boards when doing surface mounted rework and the fact you dont need hi tech expensive equipment to do a high tech repair .

Comment

Working...
                                      X