Sony Bravia KDL-32XBR4 324046whc6lv2.2 TCON fix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sony Bravia KDL-32XBR4 324046whc6lv2.2 TCON fix

I found the following info on avforums so it's not like I invented the internet, or anything. I have this 32" Sony (July 2007) that displayed nothing but vertical, multi-colored lines. Turns out the problem is a 9.1k restistor (RT36) on the t-con board (324046whc6lv2.2). I just soldered a 10k resistor right over the old one and the TV works great! (for the last hour, anyway). I also removed the black foam pad that was stuck on the chassis because it was said there is something in it that caused the resistor to go bad (?). Anyway, Merry Christmas!!
    Attached Files

Re: Sony Bravia KDL-32XBR4 324046whc6lv2.2 TCON fix

The black pad you removed is a heatsink for the processor - to sink it to the shield on the t- con, it should probably be put in place.
    Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
    For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

I see your point - it provides some force to push the chip into the heat-sink for better contact. Well, the old pad made a 'one-way trip' since it came off in pieces. I used an old piece of inner tube for a replacement. I wonder if there really is something in that pad that would corrode the resistor? If so, maybe just cover the existing pad with elec tape?

Comment

The pad is made of a special thermal conducting material. It is used to take heat from the processor and dissipate it in metal shield. Rubber is a very poor thermal conductor. It's an insulator. So it will not work well. Neither will electrical tape.

Something like this will work well, if it's thick enough.
        http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-x-25mm-x-2...item2ebb6070b7

I doubt the resistor failed because of the pad.
        Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
        For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Luck! I have a dead LG monitor that has one of these pads. Stuck it in and all is well now. But, I didn't think that much heat would be going out the bottom of the board, I thought most would go out the top and the heat-sink would take care of it.

Comment

It would be more to stop the board expanding under the hot processor reducing flexing.

Comment

Many thanks for posting this fix. My KDL-32XBR4(Made in Mexico, July '07; s/n = 8014751) also displayed vertical, multi-colored lines on startup. As given to me, it would take 15 minutes for the vertical, multi-colored lines to go away. I was able to reduce the wait time from 15 minutes to 15 seconds by changing R6145, 1M, 1/8W (measured 1.5M) and C6205, 1000uF/35V (badly overheated jacket) on the power supply board (marked APS-229 (CH), P/N 1-474-052-12), but I was never able to eliminate the problem altogether. And sometimes, even after this fix, faint lines often reappeared as you were watching the TV. Replacing RT36, 9.1K (measured 1.76M) on the T-Con board (marked 324046whc6lv2.2) finally solved the problem. Thanks again. Hope my additional info helps someone.

Comment

Well done Impina & all,
                My Sony Bravia KDL-32D3100 had exactly the same pattern of lines as yours but cleared after a couple of minutes but returned briefly at intervals.
                It is now working perfectly after the RT36 resistor was replaced on my T-con board No.324046WHC6L.
                The repair was not without drama.
                I de-soldered the bad RT36 resistor using two soldering irons at the same time (one at each end)
                I only had a high wattage 9.1K resistor in my kit which would be a tight squeeze near the heat sink pad so I decided to mount the resistor remotely.
                Unfortunately the wires that I soldered onto the solder pads were too rigid and I broke one of the solder pads off the PCB.
                Fortunately there is a tiny circular pad immediately adjacent to the broken solder pad. The two had been connected by a very narrow track of PCB copper. After very gently scraping away the green conformal coating to expose this circular pad (but nothing more) it then became my new solder pad.
                This time using a very small tip I soldered fine flexible multi-strand insulated wires to the new remotely mounted 9.1K resistor which I kept in place with a dab of hot melt glue.
                On the power board, R6145 measured ok & all the capacitors looked ok.
                A very satisfying result at no cost.

Comment

Oops,
                  forgot to include photos.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by humble View Post
                    Oops,
                    forgot to include photos.
                    Thank you very much, got me to repair this TV, thanks to You repaired!

Comment

One more fixed TV (SONY KDL-32D3000) thanks to you

Comment

Thankyou for the easy fix! picked one of these up today powered it up and saw the lines and thought tcon for sure but I dont think I would have delved deep enough to find that tiny resistor as the culprit.
                        Liberating magic smoke one part at a time

Comment

Hello all,

Can anyone tell me where the t-con board is located ? The back panel is off.

I have a kdl32xbr4 dated july 2007 from Mexico with the vertical lines.

thanks,
                          mark

Comment

Show us the pictures of the whole back side of the TV.
                            T-CON should be on the top middle of the LCD panel, under the metal shield.
                            Never stop learning
                            Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                            http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Ok, am trying to attach a jpg of the back of the TV.

Here goes.

thanks for the help!
                              Attached Files

Comment

Top center is the T-CON board, the one in the middle of the screen where the cable from the T-CON is connected to looks to be FRC board.
                                Never stop learning
                                Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                                http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                                http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                                http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                                http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                                http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Ok, thanks.

The T-con board has a silver piece of tape on it that attaches it to the tv.

There are 2 connections attached to the t-con and they look realllllly delicate.

Any suggestions on how to take them off?
                                  Attached Files

Comment

Sony really does not want me to get the TCON off on this model. Everything is buttoned up very tight with no access to these ribbons that need to come off so I can get to the T-Con board.

Is there a special tool to unsnap the white plastic that is holding the ribbon on to both sides?

thanks for all the help.

Comment

TCon board out....Holy cr*p RT36 is tiny!

I am not equipped at the house to do what you guys have done.

Sorry but 2 big thumbs. Guess I will have to see if there is an electronics guy around me to try and do this.

At least the board is out and my rt 36 does not look like the other circuits above or below so I guess it is defective.

Comment

Want to thank this forum for providing the information to fix this.

Sony wasn't fun to deal with in Canada, and their only solution was to send it to them, they will look at it for a fee, and if they can't get it to work would offer me some sort of compensation. Nuts to them.

The resistor fix worked perfect.

I had an electronic repair shop solder in a much smaller resistor than I could get at The Source (Radio Shack - old name) and the tv works perfectly now.

thanks again!

Mark

Comment

Working...
                                        X