TP-Link TL-SG1008 Gigabit Switch - pre-emptive recap and fan upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TP-Link TL-SG1008 Gigabit Switch - pre-emptive recap and fan upgrade

I have a TP-Link TL-SG1008 I bought some time ago, second hand. I never used it because the fan was horribly noisy and I didn't need more than 100Mbit anyway.

Now, I find myself needing the bandwidth. So I decided to look into the situation...

I did a pre-emptive recap of all the crapcaps (may have been unnecessary, the thing runs really cool anyway) but hey, why not?

I also replaced the original, noisy and worn, single fan with two new ones. Each of the new ones use half the power of the old, and make a fairly soft noise in comparison to the screech of the original fan.

After putting it into service, I then discovered how trashy on-board Realtek chips are... and had to upgrade to some decent Intel PCI-E cards.
    Attached Files
    "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
    -David VanHorn

Re: TP-Link TL-SG1008 Gigabit Switch - pre-emptive recap and fan upgrade

I did this, to a TL-GS1008PE. I'm using it, with security cameras. I will need to pick up another one, or upgrade to a 16 port one(POE version).

Comment

Re: TP-Link TL-SG1008 Gigabit Switch - pre-emptive recap and fan upgrade

Originally posted by tibimakai View Post
      I did this, to a TL-GS1008PE. I'm using it, with security cameras. I will need to pick up another one, or upgrade to a 16 port one(POE version).
      Make sure you do your homework wrt the PD's and PSE's before you get too heavily into POE. It seems like there are a variety of (incompatible) approaches to that problem (from all varieties of vendors!)

You're also likely to find that many POE switches have their (PSE) power supplies sized for "telephone loads" -- i.e., 7W/port. And, may not be able to support ALL of the ports on the switch, simultaneously (so you may end up needing a bigger switch than you originally expected)

Note, also, that some switches allow you to augment the internal power supply.

Comment

Working...
      X