X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: best cheap/free scores 1.1

Originally posted by stj View Post
    ordering one of these at the weekend. - amazing value as a backup/throwaway meter you can carry about with you!
    https://www.banggood.com/ANENG-AN800...p-1145700.html
    That looks quite alluring! $15 for a true RMS meter with all of those functions is pretty awesome. Last time I looked for multimeters (more than a few years ago), the VC-97 on eBay was the best new cheap meter you could get for about $25, and it isn't even a true RMS meter.

I've been very careful to stay off banggood.com, ever since I learned about it from you. I feel like I will spend a small fortune on buying all kinds of small gizmos, if I don't keep off there. I already am doing that with eBay when it comes to buying older broken PC hardware.

Lol, so many projects now and so little time!

Comment

the only bad thing about that meter, is no rubber shell or slipon case.
      but for the price, i'm willing to risk some scratches or cracks!

Comment

What do you guys do with really old systems? I've had opportunities to get some old P4 based systems but usually just pass them up as can't think what to do with.

Can't really use them as are ancient, not worth flogging as not worth much. Parting out might be worthwhile sometimes as motherboards usually hold a bit of value.

Comment

Originally posted by mikay786 View Post
          What do you guys do with really old systems? I've had opportunities to get some old P4 based systems but usually just pass them up as can't think what to do with.

Can't really use them as are ancient, not worth flogging as not worth much. Parting out might be worthwhile sometimes as motherboards usually hold a bit of value.
          I have a P3 system in trying to get working because i need ISA... I would buy one of the ones on here, but one looks like it lacks ISA and is more than i would spend just to run an old jukebox, and the other cost as much as i would spend on a bulding a modern Core I series system....
          Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Got a ASUS K8N-E (non-deluxe - basically the same as the normal K8N but with Marvell LAN instead of nForce's integrated stuff) that won't POST - culprit is Q25 and Q21. Hope I can get away with leaving Q21 empty and populating Q25 (Q25 is for NB,Q21 points to DIMM 2 that I don't actually use, but I might be wrong).

Also got an Seagate DB35.3/ST3160215ACE that won't turn on. Any PSU I attach it to will crowbar. An inspection over the PCB shows nothing out of the ordinary (no burn marks, or anything). Any ideas?
            Main rig:
            Gigabyte B75M-D3H
            Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
            Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
            16GB DDR3-1600
            Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
            FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
            120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
            Delux MG760 case

Comment

Boot sale morning grabbed a few things,

La Pavoni Jolly Coffee Grinder (covered in old grinds, dirty) £2

Bush Dac90A Valve Radio £3

iPhone 4 - £10 Says connect to iTunes

Kmoom - SatNav 7" £15

Very happy with the grinder, its quality and once taken apart, stripped and cleaned if working will be perfect. Have gotten into coffee equipment as of late so chuffed with it.

Bush no idea if works, plug is chopped off but has the connector which are worth around £15 alone. Will probably clean up and recap it with a premade kit on eBay.

Bad deals on iPhone and satnav, don't know why. Yah rushed through with purchase very early on in the day. Satnav is a bag of shite and iPhone might be completely fucked.
              Last edited by mikay786; 06-11-2017, 09:41 AM.

Comment

good score on the bush.
                i have its sibling marked amplion.somewhat rare.
                those are easy to restore.
                its a euro aa5
                Boot sale morning grabbed a few things,

La Pavoni Jolly Coffee Grinder (covered in old grinds, dirty) £2

Bush Dac90A Valve Radio £3

iPhone 4 - £10 Says connect to iTunes

Kmoom - SatNav 7" £15

Very happy with the grinder, its quality and once taken apart, stripped and cleaned if working will be perfect. Have gotten into coffee equipment as of late so chuffed with it.

Bush no idea if works, plug is chopped off but has the connector which are worth around £15 alone. Will probably clean up and recap it with a premade kit on eBay.

Bad deals on iPhone and satnav, don't know why. Yah rushed through with purchase very early on in the day. Satnav is a bag of shite and iPhone might be completely fucked.

Comment

shorted tvs on the seagate.
                  Originally posted by Dan81 View Post
                  Got a ASUS K8N-E (non-deluxe - basically the same as the normal K8N but with Marvell LAN instead of nForce's integrated stuff) that won't POST - culprit is Q25 and Q21. Hope I can get away with leaving Q21 empty and populating Q25 (Q25 is for NB,Q21 points to DIMM 2 that I don't actually use, but I might be wrong).

Also got an Seagate DB35.3/ST3160215ACE that won't turn on. Any PSU I attach it to will crowbar. An inspection over the PCB shows nothing out of the ordinary (no burn marks, or anything). Any ideas?

Comment

i-shit needs a reflash
                    http://osxdaily.com/2010/10/25/downl...firmware-ipsw/

Comment

Originally posted by kc8adu View Post
                      shorted tvs on the seagate.
                      Apparently it's working,but it's a strange kind of drive that came from a DVR. Connecting it to a PSU alone will make the PSU crowbar,but connecting a motherboard along with the drive will make it spin up just fine.

I actually installed it in a modded crystal clear (official case) Original Xbox, and it formatted and worked just fine. (and here I was expecting to click like my previous drives! Seems it's been barely used?)
                      Main rig:
                      Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                      Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                      16GB DDR3-1600
                      Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                      Delux MG760 case

Comment

Used iTunes to flash but has done the trick, all working.

Check out these before and after pics of the grinder, a little of elbow grease and is as good as new. Probably will treat the doser chamber white plastic with peroxide to get rid of the yellow ness but other than that good as new. Great thing about this machine it is pretty much all motor so once removed along with on / off switch can submerge in water / coffee cleaner and give a good scrub.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Spent quite a bit of money this week at carboot, close to £50 in total but got a lot of stuff. Some a bit risky and some genuine bargains. Pretty pleased.
                          • Apple Time Capsule 1TB / Wireless N (A1254) - £2 -

Seems to be working perfect have connected to the wifi and have accessed hard drive and copied a few files over. Does seem to get quite hot, i think caps in PSU are recommended to changed over from a quick google.

All £30 for PC stuff below
                          • Palit GTX 1060 3GB StormX
                          • EVGA GTX 750ti 2GB ACX
                          • Coolermaster MasterLiquid 240 Cooler
                          • Corsair RM650 Modular PSU
                          • GAMDIAS Hermes Mechanical Gaming Keyboard
                          • Bequiet Darkwings 3 Fan

All appear to be RMA returns for what ever reason. I managed to snipe all the good stuff early, line of thought being even a faulty gtx 1060 would more than cover my costs and hopefully could be just minor faults like a dead port etc. Avoided stuff like hard drives as not really repairable i assume. Not tested anything yet
                          • Hitachi hdr163 Freeview Recorder with Remote £4
                          • Nintendo Gamecube with power and AV cable / 2 Games and NO controllers £2.50
                          • Hanimex Solid State HRC 3086 Radio / Cassette thing £3

Not sure why i bought this just felt reassuringly heavy, just felt like it was quality built so took a punt.

Anyhow time to get testing!!

Comment

All the PC stuff is dead, although managed to get an RMA approved on the EVGA GTX 750ti as still had 200 days warranty left!

Keyboard lights up then goes dead after about 5 seconds

1060 GTX black screen, fan spins on boot for about 5s then shuts down. Might try a reflow or just flog

PSU not tested but assume dead, will probably repair that.

CoolerMaster 240 cooler has got a small leak at the waterblock end. Probably just a seal but they are using crazy anti tamper screws. Some triangle Ines and 2 x one way screws where half the head in each side is ground down. No idea how to open these anti clockwise.

Nintendo, freeview and Apple capsule all working.

Comment

Fixed the keyboard. Either one of the two i cleared up not sure which one was causing issue but either: -

a ground cable had some solder splash back running up the plastic sleeve which was in contact with another pin. Just cleaned and pushed aside.

or was flux that had yellowed and maybe gone conductive? a couple of joints had yellowed stuff joining the two so just cleaned up.

Leaning towards the ground cable as flux cant go conductive can it?

Comment

flux can absorb moisture and become very slightly conductive.
                                it usually turns milky white when it's damp.

Comment

Bit crap today as weather wasnt great, grabbed a few games and controllers.

Acoustic Solution AV120 MK2 speakers for a tenner
                                  Logitech G402 Fury Hyperian Mouse - £1

Mouse was probably best deal and should be an easy fix. Disconnect when moving around so a cable issue, connector loose or frayed wires but has warranty on it so might aswell get it replaced.

Comment

Some nice goodies for today:

Gigabyte GA-MA770-US3 - $1.21 (5 RON) - needed a new CMOS battery, a little bit warped - also came with Athlon II X4 620 CPU!
                                    Seasonic SS-35HT 350W - $2.42 (10 RON) - just dusty but otherwise in very good condition.
                                    Sapphire Radeon HD3450 1GB PCI-E - $1.21 (5 RON) - works fine, no artefacts or anything. For some reason it has S-Video instead of HDMI like the AGP version I have from ASUS has.
                                    Main rig:
                                    Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                                    Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                                    16GB DDR3-1600
                                    Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                                    Delux MG760 case

Comment

Bit crap today as weather wasnt great, grabbed a few games and controllers.

Acoustic Solution AV120 MK2 speakers for a tenner
                                      Logitech G402 Fury Hyperian Mouse - £1

Mouse was probably best deal and should be an easy fix. Disconnect when moving around so a cable issue, connector loose or frayed wires but has warranty on it so might aswell get it replaced.
                                      bad weather days used to be the best when i went to these things.
                                      the sellers didnt want to get stuff wet or be there too long - so you could bargain harder!

Comment

bad weather days used to be the best when i went to these things.
                                        the sellers didnt want to get stuff wet or be there too long - so you could bargain harder!
                                        That can be the case sometimes but they have to show up for that to happen!

Was about at 60% capacity although that does mean less buyers too so you have a bit more opportunity to find things.

I do need to practice on my communication skills though as a lot of the regulars are in there and ask the seller before they have unpacked if they have this or that and snipe stuff early. I dont like hassling the sellers and let them unpack and a lot of the time the good stuff has gone

Comment

Originally posted by Dan81 View Post
                                          Seasonic SS-35HT 350W
                                          My bad, I just found out it's a SS-351HT,not SS-35HT.
                                          Main rig:
                                          Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                                          Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                                          16GB DDR3-1600
                                          Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                                          Delux MG760 case

Comment

Working...
                                          X