X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Some "Vintage Iron" for you older PC guys

Originally posted by stj View Post
    those round ide cables cause crosstalk.
    fascinating, considering I've used those for over 15 years and never once had a problem. The blue one is scsi. Hell, I have some nifty 50-pin round scsi cables as well, those came out of some IBM servers. Theres one in this system as well. Not really sure how or why crosstalk would be a factor with one of those versus a wadded up or folded or even a perfectly flat ribbon....and since I've never experienced it, I don't know what to say.

***EDIT***
    I just burned an ISO to a CD with this system (DBAN). These burners don't have buffer underrun protection. No errors, I didn't make a coaster. No crosstalk would be a safe assumption, as anything that would have interrupted the data flow would have ended in an instacoaster.
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Comment

on the ribbon cable,every other wire is usually ground to prevent crosstalk on long runs.
      by rolling or squeezing them together you place the signal wires against each other.

it's mostly a problem on really long cables.

Comment

damm too bad the zip isnt scsi

Comment

but can you till get functioning disks?

Comment

Originally posted by kc8adu View Post
            damm too bad the zip isnt scsi
            I have a 100mb SCSI zip drive, but its had the "click of death", so it doesn't work... The Zip250 was never available in a scsi interface.
            <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
            Team Stats

Comment

I downgraded Firefox to v15.xx, as 40 just sucked too much CPU. 15 performs awesome, it was a prior-to-the-big-facelift version. smooth as silk. With the voodoo3500, I also turned on all the XP eye candy, also smooth as silk....makes me kinda miss mainstream XP.

Ok, I probably wasted more time on this than I should have....but it was fun!
              Attached Files
              <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
              Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                I downgraded Firefox to v15.xx, as 40 just sucked too much CPU. 15 performs awesome, it was a prior-to-the-big-facelift version. smooth as silk. With the voodoo3500, I also turned on all the XP eye candy, also smooth as silk....makes me kinda miss mainstream XP.

Ok, I probably wasted more time on this than I should have....but it was fun!
                Hey, anything with windows XP is never a waste of time imho!

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                  on the ribbon cable,every other wire is usually ground to prevent crosstalk on long runs.
                  by rolling or squeezing them together you place the signal wires against each other.

it's mostly a problem on really long cables.
                  That's only true for 80pin IDE cables. 40pin cables only have a handful (at most) grounds. That's also why 80pin came into being, crosstalk issues.

That said, good round cables do work as they uses twists and other means of mitigate crosstalk. Some are shielded as well which adds noise protection.

And then you have old SCSI cables (68pin IIRC?) that had laminated ribbons with twisted pairs every 3 inches or so (guessing on the spacing)... talk about crosstalk mitigation...
                  sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                    That's only true for 80pin IDE cables. 40pin cables only have a handful (at most) grounds. That's also why 80pin came into being, crosstalk issues.

That said, good round cables do work as they uses twists and other means of mitigate crosstalk. Some are shielded as well which adds noise protection.

And then you have old SCSI cables (68pin IIRC?) that had laminated ribbons with twisted pairs every 3 inches or so (guessing on the spacing)... talk about crosstalk mitigation...
                    This. the 80-wire rounded cable is twisted pairs + shielded, as are all the scsi ones. I know crosstalk to be a factor on a longer cable, as STJ mentioned...but I've never seen or even heard of it being an issue with anything this short. the blue scsi one is a good 3ft long, and even that one never had any issues. I've had these cables for ages, not even sure if they can be bought anymore....probably not much demand for SCSI and PATA cables anymore.
                    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                    Team Stats

Comment

I would of loved to have that in high school. Before I had the confidence to build my own my parents got me a tiger p3 667 256m 40gb voodoo3 cd drive for $1400 (1999)
                      Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
                      ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

PlayStation emulation would rock on that system with a Voodoo 3, likely will even with Gran Turismo 2.

And Nintendo 64 emulation with Super Mario 64 and Snowboard Kids possibly can run full speed. Definitely not with Goldeneye! Goldeneye is hard to emulate. Goldeneye needs a ton of CPU!

A Voodoo3x should rock with Super Mario 64 and Snowboard Kids. Possibly The Legend Of Zelda: The Ocarina of Time as well!

Nintendo 64 emulation requires at least 600 Mhz for anything to run full speed with recompiler.

OTOH, it don't even have to try for SNES games to work well, those don't need more than a Pentium 166.

For Halo 1x, it probably has a check to see if the PIII is at least 733 Mhz, because that's what the original XBox's PIII frequency was. Halo 1 requires an OC or a modded config file and the video upgraded to at least a GeForce 2.
                        Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 02-15-2016, 08:59 PM.
                        ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

At goodwill I managed to get them to "get rid of an old voodoo5 5500" untested for $10.

Still have it. It works

Comment

Originally posted by Uranium-235 View Post
                            At goodwill I managed to get them to "get rid of an old voodoo5 5500" untested for $10.

Still have it. It works
                            They did not know what they had. Around here the SA "Thrift Stores" have employees check eBay for the consumer electronics prices, sometimes you get things cheap most times I walk out laughing shaking my head. But I got all of my Voodoo5 cards on eBay years ago before the prices went up.

Comment

Originally posted by Uranium-235 View Post

Still have it. It works
                              I got a Mint condition Dell u3011 30" 16:10 monitor from them in a similar manner. They thought it was a TV. Tag said "No remote, no sound, $50.00"
                              <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                              Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Sparkey55 View Post
                                They did not know what they had. Around here the SA "Thrift Stores" have employees check eBay for the consumer electronics prices, sometimes you get things cheap most times I walk out laughing shaking my head. But I got all of my Voodoo5 cards on eBay years ago before the prices went up.
                                Yeah around here you have to outsmart them as the usually overprice things thinking people will pay AS-IS ebay prices + markup out of the goodness of their hearts.

That said, I did nab a like-new 1.5 year old Acer 20" 16:9 LCD a month ago.

---

I also have a Voodoo3 2000 PCI brand new still sealed in box (with shrink-wrap intact). I got in a van-load of free computer parts many years ago and knew not to open in as it may have value down the road?
                                Last edited by ratdude747; 02-16-2016, 11:05 AM. Reason: found my model
                                sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

I got a linksys srw2048 for $5 because it was freezing. Took it home, 22 bloated 'stone' brand caps. Got new nichicons from tc and took an hour and a half replacing them. Used it in a shop for 3 years straight, not a single lockup

Comment

Originally posted by Sparkey55 View Post
                                    I got a Voodoo5 5500 PCI with DVI (the MAC version) flashed with a PC BIOS.
                                    It worked great and I got it for a good price on eBay, but it's been lost for several years now.
                                    I'm mad about that, miss my nice card!
                                    "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

The makings of another one....

I did rescue a GPU...and scored 4gb ECC PC133 off fleabay for 13 bucks shipped.
                                      Attached Files
                                      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                      Team Stats

Comment

...and here we go... The icing on the retro system thread... The case, maybe not so retro, but its guts are, so close enough.

System Specs:
                                        2x 1.4GHz P3 Tualatin-S's
                                        4GB RAM
                                        ATI HD4650 1GB AGP
                                        Adaptec 2100S SCSI RAID Controller
                                        Audigy2
                                        2x 147gb Seagate 15k RPM U160 HDD's in a RAID1

It wouldn't be a good build unless there was a case mod involved.

The corner of the 5.25 cage was too close for the motherboard to clear, since it was a trifle too long for the case. Its not an eATX board, but its longer than the standard ATX, and it interfered with the cage.

Nothing the die grinder couldn't cure!!

Now we're cookin'!!

All put together.

Win7 on the way.

Up & running.

This is the oldest core hardware I've ever put win7 on, runs surprisingly well.
                                        Attached Files
                                        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                        Team Stats

Comment

oh wow. that system is just so drool worthy. would want a system like that to put win95 and winnt 3.1, 3.5, 3.51 or 4 in a dual boot config. the p3 1.4ghz is the fastest pentium 3 they ever came out with right? would be nice benchmarking that rig side by side with a pentium 4 and seeing how much efficient the p3 is clock for clock against the p4.

Comment

Working...
                                          X