Compaq EVO D510 - D51U Ultra-Slim Desktop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Compaq EVO D510 - D51U Ultra-Slim Desktop

I purchased an used Compaq EVO D510U (Ultra-Slim Desktop) and while it boots (I can't do any more testing because I don't have an USB keyboard and can't get past POST), I noticed 3 leaking capacitors and 1 bulged one. These desktop is very compact and may not have very good cooling?

Obviously, I want to replace these 4 Nichicon 2200uF 6.3v, 10mm diameter, 20mm height, series HM(M), 105C. See pics.

There are 7 Nichicon 2200uF 6.3v similar ones that look good with flat tops. It seems that the sentiment (but not consensus) from some on this forum is to replace them all regardless because if one fails, they *might/will* all fail, but since my soldering skills are a "D-" right now, I'm a little bit hesitant on a board this small with a lot of SMT chips next to the capacitors.

Opinions on "don't fix it if ain't broke"? From skimming this forum, Nichicon seems to be a good name?

I'm looking to replace them with either the

a) Rubycon MCZ 2200uF 6.3v 10mm diameter, 20mm height, 105C
    Rubycon part number: 6.3MCZ2200M10X20

OR

b) Rubycon MCZ 2200uF 10v 10mm diameter, 25mm height, 105C
    Rubycon Part number: 10MCZ2200M10X25

My reason for choice b) is that I could potentially use this capacitor for future fixes in other devices as it has a higher voltage rating. I have read that as long as the uF is the same, you can go a bit higher on the voltage.

Do you think I should stick with the 6.3v or go with the 10v? I may need just one 20mm height for a tight fit, but 25mm is will work for the other locations.
    Attached Files
    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Re: Compaq EVO D510 - D51U Ultra-Slim Desktop

Hmm, found this

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...53&postcount=4

and noticed that the Nichicon caps on this compaq have H0242 for date codes for 4 bad capacitors. The 7 "good" ones, but not tested, are H0243.

So it looks like I should replace them all based on the manufacture date.

Originally posted by retiredcaps
    Obviously, I want to replace these 4 Nichicon 2200uF 6.3v, 10mm diameter, 20mm height, series HM(M), 105C.
    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

yes why not
      i dont see the point to go for the 10v but there is no problem if you do

practice makes perfect.
      capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

Remember, 10v and 6.3v caps can be substituted for each other. The highest voltage a 10v cap can be on is 5v as the next voltage up is 12v. it is OK to use a 6.3v cap on the 5v rails.
        I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

I recapped one of these boards last month. I ordered in multiples of 10 for each of the sizes from digikey:
          10 ea Pan FC 1000/25 P11223-ND
          10 ea Pan FM 1000/10 P12353-ND
          10 ea Pan FM 680/16 P12377-ND
          20 ea Pan FM 2200/6.3 P12344-ND

I replaced all caps 470uf and higher. It had popped all the VRM caps next to the CPU in the SFF version of this board. Total cost: $24 plus shipping. Main complaint: USB ports kept shutting down.
          Stupidity should be a crime, especially for drivers. I have NO patience for them.

Comment

Originally posted by delaware74b View Post
            I recapped one of these boards last month.
            Okay, delaware74b, this is embarassing. I can't figure out how to remove the motherboard. How did you do it?

I included 2 pics. I took everything out of the machine and need to change those 4 caps circled in red.

There are 4 solid steel/aluminum standoffs circled in yellow. The problem is that I cannot move the board sideways. I have tried pushing the board sideways, but those steel brushed standoffs have a very tight grip on the motherboard.

I also cannot remove the power supply because the motherboard is blocking it. I can't life the power supply out because the "sides" and back are solid steel and not movable so the power supply is "trapped" in there.

PS. I have always like Compaq's high standard of PC build in the past and this PC clearly shows it.
            Attached Files
            --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
              I can't figure out how to remove the motherboard. How did you do it?
              And the secret I discovered today is:

remove the heatsink and CPU.

There are 2 screws holding down the motherboard (hidden by the heatsink). Once those are moved, the board slides out nicely.

Got them recapped, but one cap lead broke in the desolder process - the other 7 leads were removed cleanly. Arrrgggh.

I managed to work around it, but no amount of fresh solder, safety pin, etc would get it out. I didn't go any further since I didn't want to dislodge the solder pad from the board.

PS. The power supply was full of Rubycon and United Chemicon caps. I didn't take a picture as the power supply is pretty small and crowded in these small form factors.

Luckily none of the caps were bloated in the power supply otherwise that would be a nightmare to remove and solder.
              --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
                I included 2 pics. I took everything out of the machine and need to change those 4 caps circled in red.
                Change all Nichicon HM/HN caps with bad date codes. Otherwise you might be doing this again in the near future.

Comment

I just picked up a Compaq Evo D513S over the weekend at the off lease computer store. I took the lid off to clean out the dust bunnies and lo and behold there were a dozen bad caps next to the CPU. All of the bad ones were Nichicon HM(M), date code H0306. Par for the course on those Nicicon's from the plague era. Its a good thing the store has a liberal return policy, because I'll be taking this one back!
                  Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                  X