hp pavilion a1203w usb problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hp pavilion a1203w usb problems

Hi I have a problem with the usb on my hp pavilion a1203w. The computer has a asus k8s-la motherboard. The usb stopped working so I pulled off the cover and saw a bad capacitor it was a 820uf 6.3v so I replaced it with a 1000uf 10v. So now I have two rear usb and no front. My question is do I need to replace the capacitor with the exact same as the old one or do I have more problems with this board

Re: hp pavilion a1203w usb problems

Check to see that you reattached the cables to the front USB ports properly!
    Note that it's common for the motherboard to have a jumper disabling the front USB ports when they are not connected! Also check your BIOS to see if there is a Disable/Enable setting for the Front USB ports

Comment

they were working before the bad capacitor. I checked the cables twice allready but I was looking at the board the other night and noticed there is two capacitors sitting raised up on the board but tops are still flat could these also be bad ?

Comment

Originally posted by mrjeep88 View Post
        tI was looking at the board the other night and noticed there is two capacitors sitting raised up on the board but tops are still flat could these also be bad ?
        Caps can bloat on the bottom too. See "Bushytails" photo at

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=424
        --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

thanks I will change out those two and see if that helps. Should I replace them with the 820uf 6.3v or can I replace them with the same 1000uf 10v. I am also thinking of just replaceing all the capacitors. I am not shure of what brand to use or even what the original ones are all they say is kzg. The board is Asus k8s-la

Comment

Originally posted by mrjeep88 View Post
            thanks I will change out those two and see if that helps. Should I replace them with the 820uf 6.3v or can I replace them with the same 1000uf 10v. I am also thinking of just replaceing all the capacitors. I am not shure of what brand to use or even what the original ones are all they say is kzg. The board is Asus k8s-la
            KZG is United Chemicon. Sadly, the KZG series is prone to failure according to

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2280

You can go higher in voltage, but you should stay with the same uF. For a test, you can use 1000uF in place of 820uF.

For a replacement, anything that matches KZG in terms of ripple, ESR or better from the good cap list above will do fine.
            --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I agree with retiredcaps that you should replace the cap(s) with a similar value. The 1000uf you used is around 20% difference, which could be the cause of your frt USB not working. The other two caps you mentioned "could" possibly be in parallel, which would give you 2000uf total compared to 1640uf, thus, making your problems even worse. If you're in the USA, you can order caps from digikey.com and select USPS First Class Shipping for the the lowest rate. If you order a higher voltage, make sure the diameter and height fit your board.

Comment

Thanks guys I will check out digikey and see what I can come up with. The reason I ask about 1000uf is because I have quite a few of them left from doing about 20 soyo book pc's but I will replace all the bad capacitors on hp with same as what is on it

Comment

Working...
                X