Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Samsung 215tw display cuts out

Originally posted by almoodie
    I need to rewire the return leads to the CCFLs, shown in attached image. I've tried Radio Shack my only local retailer but can find anything of suitable gauge. Can anyone tell me what gauge wire I need and where I might order it, a part number would be of great help.

Al.
    Try the places that sell CCFLs. These guys have it, but at outrageous prices. http://www.ccflsurplus.com/hivowiandha.html

PlainBill
    For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Great pics and timely item. I too have been tracking this identical issue down on the same 215tw. Just installed a factory new CCFL and STILL no go. My symptoms are: normal backlight for <2 secs then all off. Found arcing of one of the CCFL return wires, and disconnected that tube. Then, 5/6 tubes lit fine, but HV xformer to the defective tube ran HOT. Have remove 2 xformers from the circuit to test primary/secondary and all resistances are the same. The HV blue disc caps are OK, and have already replaced the 1000uf filter caps with mil spec units. No shorts/open in return wire, and am wondering if my new CCFL is bad?

I'm actually starting to get tired of this....

As to the wire for your return leads, RadioShack won't have what you need, and there's not much space betwwen the tube holder and the case. I plan on using some mil spec teflon coated silver wire as it has a higher insulation factor but isn't too thick. You could scavange some from dead CRT unit, but I bought my supply on Ebay.

My problem is I don't think it's the tube.... any ideas would be appreciated. I also can't find the power supply schematic for this unit anywhere....anyone have one?

Comment

New info....

My unit proved to have a bad inverter xformer....after I bought a new CCFL. The secondary resistance was just a tiny bit less than the others (didn't measure impeadance) and it appears the CCFL shorted to the case and I assume, fused a section of the secondary. This xformer runs hot and the tube won't light. Finnally found it with tube/tansformer swaps.

Now.

Where can I find the SPI 8TP00010 xformer???

Does anyone know other poer boards common to this one?

Thanks!

Comment

[QUOTE=romansroad]New info....

My unit proved to have a bad inverter xformer....after I bought a new CCFL. The secondary resistance was just a tiny bit less than the others (didn't measure impeadance) and it appears the CCFL shorted to the case and I assume, fused a section of the secondary. This xformer runs hot and the tube won't light. Finnally found it with tube/tansformer swaps.

I jury rigged the CCFL wiring using spare wire and laid the whole assembly out on the floor. Plugged together the two boards and connected them to the two banks of CCFLs, and turned it on. Couple of seconds delay and then on came the lamps, and they have stayed on for 15 minutes now. I need sunglasses.
          One of the tubes has failed to come on so it will have to be replaced, plus I as I said before I need CCFL return wire to complete the rebuild.

I thought the power supply/inverter would not stay on if a CCFL was not working, but mine is running with one lamp (of three in a bank) out, go figure. Romansroad where did you buy your CCFL?

Al.

Comment

it was ccflwarehouse.com . They shipped USPS for $5 and it arrived in 3 days!

Problem is, with the inverter xformer secondary short, it doesn't generate enough voltage to light the 6th lamp, AND the xformer is getting too hot. I too can run it for a while and it stays stable, but suspect the heat will kill the drivers and zot the remainder of the power supply.

Found some inverters on lcdparts.net, but am not sure that merely matching the primary/secondary resistance that I'll get a good match. Worried about impeadance and the feedback loop to the logic board.

No where can i find the "SPI 8T00010" transformer!

Comment

I forgot.

The return wire on our SAmsung only carries about 4 volts, so I bet you can scavange some wire from another power supply that would work. I suspect the issue here is poor durability of the vinyl insulation....that's why I'm using the teflon/silver wire.

Comment

LCDparts.net says they have the transformer. I've ordered it and will post results. If this works, many of the Samsung 215TW's will be revived!

Comment

arggghhhhhh.

wrong part sent AND worried that the primary gauge is too small. I'll keep trying....

Comment

Originally posted by almoodie
                    I need to rewire the return leads to the CCFLs, shown in attached image. I've tried Radio Shack my only local retailer but can find anything of suitable gauge. Can anyone tell me what gauge wire I need and where I might order it, a part number would be of great help.

Al.
                    Just wanted to say thanks for the great posts on this problem. I followed along and after replacing all the caps on the inverter/power supply even though they did not look bad. I sill had the same problem so I figured with nothing to lose I would follow almodie's example and I found two broken/burnt connections at the far end of the top 3 CCFL tubes. In my case they were not badly burnt. I was able to trim off about 1/8 inch, pull the extra wire from the far end and re-solder. I put It all back together plugged it and stood back waiting for the magic smoke to escape... Much to my amazement,It worked perfectly and has been for the last 24hrs.

Hope this helps someone else....
                    Mick

Comment

Four or five weeks ago I replaced all the caps on the power source board for my 215TW to no avail, I was stumped that a fix that had worked for others was not bringing me any luck. At the end of my teather(replacing caps again and again) I came across this thread and low and behold when I checked the ccfl one of the wires(yellow) going to the end of one of the ccfls had come away from the solder and appeared slightly burnt. As Micka did I stiripped a bit of the yellow cable and re-soldered it and put the monitor back together again. After all my dissapointments over the last few weeks I did not hold out much hope but when I booted up my system the monitor lept into life and has been fine for the last few hours so I would like to thank almoodie in especial for all the work he put in and for the pics he posted to get to the bottom of this. Thanks guys.

Comment

I hate these 6 connection types; they make the elimination process and "fix" more difficult.

Comment

Originally posted by freelander
                          The Samsung 215TW shares the same Samsung LTM210M2 panel as Gateway FPD2185W and HP F2105 monitors that I have worked on. Based on your problem description, you almost definitely have one or more dead bulbs in your panel. I'm not sure if this model has the -01 or the -02 variation but the only difference is the connector style.
                          I crushed a LTM210M2-L02 and I found a -L01 to replace it. Connector style is different as you wrote, can I simply cut and solder the old connector to the new lcd panel?

Wires are the same number and same colours.

Thank u for your kind reply.

Comment

smanny,

Yes you can cut and resolder the connections. Just make sure you insulate them.

I have been trying to make some jig that allwows me to insert into that tiny hole above the connection end to spring loose the crimped connector inside. Then you can just rearrange the ends to fit your needs.

Comment

Originally posted by lucky13
                              smanny,

Yes you can cut and resolder the connections. Just make sure you insulate them.
                              Thank you guy. I'm going to do it

Comment

I broke open the plastic connector so after I resoldered the wire to the ccfl I just wraped a piece of thin electrical tape around the soldered bit and then a bit aroung the three. Just don't use too much electrical tape as it's a pretty tight fit when re-assembling it.

One other tip, when I re-assembled mine and turned everything on I started to notice a few hairs and a bit of fluff/dust showing through the display so I had to take it all apart again to clean it. Just make sure to watch out for stray hairs and give all the parts that make up the display a quick dusting while re-assembling. I used a microfibre cloth and that worked well. I did have a can of "Air Duster" but I did not like the way that appeared to wet the surfaces I sprayed. Best of luck.

Comment

Thanks from Ukraine.
                                  I was helped by this photo - https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...chmentid=13909
                                  Has removed one - 8TP00010 and the transistor as it is described here - http://monitor.net.ru/forum/topic239071-64.html#2271377
                                  Now 5 lamps work.

Comment

Hello,

I got the same issue with the same LCD screen ; according to a reparator, it seems it is an inverter problem, but I'm not sure exactly how to confirm that.

The problem is the same as Almoodie described : when switching the screen on, I get an image for about half a second, then it disappear until I switch it off and on again. The blue light that shows the screen is switched on is still lighted, so could it be a problem from the power board ? Is it still possible to buy a new one somewhere, on Internet ?

I thank you in advance ! (and sorry for my poor English as it isn't my mother tongue)

Comment

Originally posted by Mornagest View Post
                                      The problem is the same as Almoodie described : when switching the screen on, I get an image for about half a second, then it disappear until I switch it off and on again. The blue light that shows the screen is switched on is still lighted, so could it be a problem from the power board ? Is it still possible to buy a new one somewhere, on Internet ?
                                      1) If you get the display to show briefly, it is likely a problem on the inverter board.

2) Do you have a multimeter and know how to measure resistance and voltage?

3) Post clear focused pictures AFTER reading

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1868

4) Please do not post pictures inline as they slow down the loading of pages.

5) For best picture quality and clarity take your boards to a window on a sunny day, turn flash off, and use macro mode. Take a top down view of all your boards (front and back). Make sure the photo is legible so that we can read the PCB printing clearly. A shutter speed of 1/125 or faster will produce nice clear focused pictures. Try to get a photo that is 2000x2000 resolution or as close as possible.

6) Here is an example of the pictures we want.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...94&postcount=1
                                      --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

addition to 1)

It could be the inverter board or the ccfl lamps.
                                        --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Hello,

I have a multimeter, I used to use that a few years ago when I was a student... but it wasn't on electronical components, only on electrical. It shouldn't be too difficult, I hope

I will take pictures tomorrow, from the inverter and the ccfl, front and rear.

Thank you for your answer

Comment

Working...
                                          X