Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grounded Soldering iron?

Hello,

Are the pencil type irons with three prong electric cords grounded?

Couldn't find any info in the faqs asides from posts stating that you must use a grounded soldering iron. I've been to a few electronic supply shops and the guys had no clue what I was talking about.

Thanks

Re: Grounded Soldering iron?

I'd just check it with a test light or ohm meter from the tip to the ground prong. If heavy corrosion is present between the tip and body, that would cause a loss of continuity and a reduction in heat transfer.

Comment

Originally posted by Galvanized
      I'd just check it with a test light or ohm meter from the tip to the ground prong. If heavy corrosion is present between the tip and body, that would cause a loss of continuity and a reduction in heat transfer.
      Thank you, that's a great suggestion. I'd really like to try recapping one of my boards but I don't want to spend more on a soldering iron than the cost of a new motherboard.

BTW, this is a great website. My compliments to the webmaster/owner should they happen to be reading this, well done!

Comment

Is it the same thing as earthed? for use on components that may static discharge?

For one off fun stuff just messing about I see no reason to spend more than a few $ Euro £, for extended work I can imagine a good iron would be cheaper in the long run as these cheap irons some only last a few days, but if you're only every going to solder about 100 components in your lifetime then the cheapest is a cheap iron I think.

I have 3 irons atm, one for burning stuff, one for reattaching SMD back on when they fall off and general attaching things, one for removing stuff. They're all as cheap as you can get, if they break I just buy a new one.
        Rubycon Rubycon Rubycon

Comment

Originally posted by Fizzycapola
          Is it the same thing as earthed? for use on components that may static discharge?
          The FAQ says to use a grounded iron (I think it means the same as earthed), to prevent damaging components by ESD.

Originally posted by Fizzycapola
          For one off fun stuff just messing about I see no reason to spend more than a few $ Euro £, for extended work I can imagine a good iron would be cheaper in the long run as these cheap irons some only last a few days, but if you're only every going to solder about 100 components in your lifetime then the cheapest is a cheap iron I think.

I have 3 irons atm, one for burning stuff, one for reattaching SMD back on when they fall off and general attaching things, one for removing stuff. They're all as cheap as you can get, if they break I just buy a new one.
          There are larger soldering stations that sell for between $150 - $200. For that price I would just buy a new systemboard. When I have the chance, I'll go back to the electronics supplier and have them test the iron like Galvanized suggested.

Comment

probably the best explanation you can get.

ESD Handbook TR20.20 section 4.3.3.2 Tools and Equipment checklist includes: “4. Are soldering irons tested for tip to common point ground potential to prevent EOS damage to components?” “The working part of AC powered tools should be capable of providing a conductive path to ground. New powered hand tools such as soldering irons typically should have a tip to ground resistance of less than 1.0 ohm.” (ANSI/ESD S20.20 Paragraph
            6.2.6.1. AC Powered Tools)

“Most soldering irons should be hard grounded (i.e. <5 ohms) and ESDS should be grounded before coming into contact with the tips. This hard ground is needed because the vast majority of soldering irons have some form of temperature control, either by switching the iron on or off at limits, or by using high frequency effect. These control mechanisms can produce electric fields and thus require a low impedance path to ground to prevent high potentials from being accumulated which can damage ESDS (ESD sensitive items).” (EN 61340-5-2 Section 5.2.10)

the thing is though that grounded soldering iron is no use if you are using it on an outlet which is not grounded.
            capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

will, great link / info.

Mongo, if you are State-Side, go to a local hardware store and pick-up a $5 grounding tester. It is about the size of a pinkey finger with a LED in one end and black / red test leads out the other. I have one here but can't find it ATM. Aside from testing if the outlets are grounded it will indicate if the hot / common wires were hooked up with the right polarity(wide and narrow blades of the plug).

This short tutorial on grounding is worth the read. Gabriel Torres is an EE.
              http://hardwaresecrets.com/article/18/1

Comment

I think you've all set me on the right track.

My power outlets are properly grounded with the right polarity. I think I know how to choose an appropriated soldering iron. I've identified and sourced the replacement caps. Surgery on the systemboard is scheduled for next Wed. evening.

I'll be back here Thursday, after things go horribly wrong.

Comment

I'll be back here Thursday, after things go horribly wrong.
                  well the idea is to practice first on a trash board to get some experience.

the most common damages :

- trace damage due to general carelessness, removing the hsf, removing the board from the case.
                  - trace damage around a thru hole due to long heating with inadequate temperature of iron or the iron slipping.
                  - thru hole damage due to long heating

otherwise its not that difficult at all
                  capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

It's ALIVE!

Comment

Geezus H people you don't have to get all technical buying grounded this and that.

Just attach a wire to the center screw on the outlet and wire it to a strip of conductive metal. Run the metal strip along the edge of your workbench or somewhere where your arms will always have contact with it. Touch the soldering iron to it every once in a while if you're that paranoid too. Geez!

The same goes with static wrist straps and computers, I think they're so lame. Just keep a hand or arm on the case of whatever you're working on, just tocuh the case before you start gankin out components. Oh and keep it plugged in with the power supply off if it has a switch. That way the ground will be always connected.
                      Last edited by fety; 02-10-2007, 09:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by fety
                        Geezus H people you don't have to get all technical buying grounded this and that.

Just attach a wire to the center screw on the outlet and wire it to a strip of conductive metal. Run the metal strip along the edge of your workbench or somewhere where your arms will always have contact with it. Touch the soldering iron to it every once in a while if you're that paranoid too. Geez!

The same goes with static wrist straps and computers, I think they're so lame. Just keep a hand or arm on the case of whatever you're working on, just tocuh the case before you start gankin out components. Oh and keep it plugged in with the power supply off if it has a switch. That way the ground will be always connected.
                        Great first post.
                        Welcome to badcaps.

Comment

LOL!!!! I think he is after Maria's banana.

Comment

Hehe, here's my solution using fety's suggestions:

"Just attach a wire to the center screw on the outlet and wire it to a strip of conductive metal. Run the metal strip along the edge of your workbench or somewhere where your arms will always have contact with it. Touch the soldering iron to it every once in a while if you're that paranoid too."

I'll just one up the metal strip idea by wrapping it around my bare body, put my clothes back on - then I'll know for sure that I am grounded!

Comment

Well, its all abouth how profesionall you want to work.
                              If you only solder for yourself and for friends i would agree that grounding is not that important.

But if you do it more in a (semi) profesional way, i would for shure opt for waering the grounding strape and using a solid ESD safe station too.

I have soldered bunch of mosfets of all types with only getting all things to the same potential once by using a ESD foam or foil as working surface and a soldering iron holder mad from iron.

But shure, if i would do sutch things on a daily basis, i ould certainly improve my setup.

Comment

Working...
                              X