bad caps causing display to black out when scrolling screen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bad caps causing display to black out when scrolling screen

I think I was able to fix my computer's VGA display circuits (inside the PC motherboard). An old HP from the XP days, though it was upgraded to Win 7 (not by me). The problem was that, when scrolling quickly on a web page with Firefox, the VGA would go all black for a second or so. And it would then come back, along with a statement that the VGA drivers briefly crashed. Heard that dust clogging a VGA chip's heat sink could do this. I took the cover off the PC, and I immediately spot bulging caps in the neighborhood of the VGA chip!. 3 of them. Replaced them (I also added a ceramic surface mount cap in parallel of the new electrolytics, to make the ESR lower yet). Computer seems better behaved now, no black outs.

Seems the area where the caps were gets rather warm, so it seems the PC cooling fans weren't doing enough, so I placed a small fan to blow air in this area. Should help keep the new caps cooler, and it seems to be doing it as my finger feels cooler caps and chips there. Also pulled out a blank expansion slot cover to allow more air to exit the PC.

Re: bad caps causing display to black out when scrolling screen

nice,
    bit of advice - when inspecting a pc, dont forget to check inside the spu.

Comment

Working...
    X