Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ASUS A52JK fan at 100% speed

Hi all!

I have a problem I really need to help with and so far, I have found some similar post over the internet, but no solution. I hope you can help me..

Not long ago, I have tried to flash BIOS on my ASUS A52JK (i3 replaced with i5, 8GB RAM) because of annoying high-pitched sound coming from CPU (I found a way how to disable it software-wise, but I thought that new BIOS might help it). I screwed the flashing process because I used NTFS partition for update via EZflash and my notebook was completely dead.

I have ordered new pre-programmed BIOS chip from the internet and a friend of mine helped me with soldering. Now my notebook works again just like before, but my fan kicks in to 100% speed shortly after start and will never slow down. After some investigation, I can surely tell it is not Windows-related issue and the fan and heat pipe are OK.

What I have tried so far:
    - tried to flash older version of BIOS, the one I have run on before (successfully flashed, but no change to fan speed)
    - tried to flash the newest version again (same story)
    - tried to search for a similar problem all around the web
    - found this post, which mentions similar problem
    - wrote this post

I am new here and I hope I have followed all the rules. Can somebody please help me?
    Thank you!

Re: ASUS A52JK fan at 100% speed

sorry but if you have backup of old bios (not working one) it can be fixed

if you do not have it, i cannot help you

problem is a part of bios (intel Managment Engine FW) which asus make different for every laptop and it controls temp and fan speed

if you have original file, i can fix it, so that it gives image and fan working normal
    if you do not have it, you might try desoldering bios and try some other flash but i doubt it would work
    Im Back... sort of...

Comment

Thank you for quick reply!

No, I don't have backup of old BIOS, but I do have the old de-soldered chip. Is it possible to gain this part of software out of it somehow? Even if the chip was dead? The guy who did the soldering for me looks like a pretty skilled technician with a lot of tools..

If I understand correctly, this "second part of BIOS" is specific for every unit and it can't be used from notebook of the same series/same model. Right?

Comment

just read old bios (eeprom content of desoldered bios) and post here if you still have it

If I understand correctly, this "second part of BIOS" is specific for every unit and it can't be used from notebook of the same series/same model. Right?
        exactly, i had same problem few times
        Last edited by ala_borbe; 04-06-2015, 06:01 AM.
        Im Back... sort of...

Comment

Thank you very much so far. Even information you gave me are very interesting. This BIOS flash procedure is experience I will remember forever! I will get in touch with this friend of mine soon and will write again. Happy Easter everyone!

Comment

not a problem, im glad to help
            when asus update is done, it does not update whole bios, just one part of it, rest remain intact... those parts are setup for your pc

when you write eeprom with programing tools you write 100% of it, hence overwrite that data

what do i do is, get your old bios and overwrite only part with main bios(like ezbios), leaving your ME and rest of bios as it was, and all should work... proven method

happy holidays to you to (although my easter is yet to come )
            Im Back... sort of...

Comment

Originally posted by FOXx89 View Post
              Thank you for quick reply!

No, I don't have backup of old BIOS, but I do have the old de-soldered chip. Is it possible to gain this part of software out of it somehow? Even if the chip was dead? The guy who did the soldering for me looks like a pretty skilled technician with a lot of tools..

how many wires you got on the fan?

if its on max that means you got ground and 5v and that`s it
              the 3rd wire tells the fan at what speed it needs to run.
              if its missing or to low fan runs at max.
              Just cook it! It's already broken.

Comment

Originally posted by dj_ricoh View Post
                how many wires you got on the fan?

if its on max that means you got ground and 5v and that`s it
                the 3rd wire tells the fan at what speed it needs to run.
                if its missing or to low fan runs at max.
                I've got 4 wires. Thank you for suggestion, but the fan is OK. I've been able to test it in my mother's ASUS K52 notebook (A52/K52/X52 are basically the same model in different chassis) and it runs smoothly. Besides, there wasn't problem with the fan before my "smart" BIOS update..

Originally posted by ala_borbe View Post
                when you write eeprom with programing tools you write 100% of it, hence overwrite that data
                Can you help me with this a bit?
                My BIOS chip is: Winbond 25Q32BVSIG
                We'd like to read from it with this tool
                Can you please recommend software that would do what is needed? And reliable source where I can find pinout for this chip. I have zero knowledge about programming chips so any help would be much appreciated
                Last edited by FOXx89; 04-07-2015, 10:40 AM. Reason: adding to the post instead of creating new one

Comment

first, DO NOT WRITE OR ERASE chip

we need to READ it

pinout on page 6, datasheet can be found on
                  Code:
                  http://www.alldatasheet.com/
                  or see attached

on your device is marked JTAG, but be sure it can read and write SPI chips... all 25XX chips are SPI interfaced and must be supported by device (see document with that tool)

if you manage to read chip, post here i will fix it, and then you write it

device needs driver and tool that works with it...
                  Attached Files
                  Im Back... sort of...

Comment

Ok, so quick update - we weren't able to connect the chip via JTAG because of pinout, so I have ordered ths. The good news - we didn't tried to "experiment" and so the chip is still OK and hopefully readable. Bed news - I have to wait 14+ days untill this USB tool arrives..
                    Than you ala_borbe for all your help
                    I will contact you again if I may

Comment

np, i can wait

btw, JTAG is great tool but its used for some other things

the one you ordered is amateur tool, but it will do the work

i use

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-SPI-BIOS...e2776c&vxp=mtr

its a crap but it does the work right
                      Last edited by ala_borbe; 04-09-2015, 08:16 AM.
                      Im Back... sort of...

Comment

Yeah, I have read about Bus Pirate, which looks like pretty useful thing, good investment to the future, or "just in case", but as I have mentioned, I have zero knowledge, experiences and chances are it will only lie around for years until I realize it's already outdated

As to the JTAG, this friend of mine used it for satellites or something similar, but he said if we knew how to connect it correctly, it would work..Nevermind, I'll wait those 14+ days and will write again.
                        Once again, big THANKS! Take care

Comment

Hi again!
                          So the tool finally arrived and we were able to read the content. Can you please have look at it?
                          http://1drv.ms/1JV0Inm

Comment

ok, your dump look suspicious but maybe it works
                            (either your bios was damaged when bios flash erased it or your tool did not read it properly... most of the file is empty but i think i have fixed it...)
                            also remember to verify after writing

try please and good luck
                            Attached Files
                            Im Back... sort of...

Comment

Thank you, so can I flash this fixed rom with ASUS EzFlash? Or is it some other special way how to flash it?

Comment

you write it same way you read it, with device
                                Im Back... sort of...

Comment

Oh, so I'll have to disassembly the notebook and desolder the chip again...I thought there will be easier way how to do it software wise, as I have now the other chip with half-functional BIOS installed Nevermind, When I got this far.. Thank you again! Couldn' do it without you

Comment

Works perfectly. Big thanks to ala_borbe!

Comment

np, im glad to help
                                      Im Back... sort of...

Comment

Hello ala borbe, Can you please share some idea oh how to repair a corrupted bios. do you use other software to edit the eeprom? I'm using TL866CS programmer. or anyone can give some idea so we can do our home work

Comment

Working...
                                        X