After replacing nec/tokin capacitor orange light blinking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: After replacing nec/tokin capacitor orange light blinking

A BIOS flash did cross my mind, especially since we can still do that easily.

Indeed I forgot it gets halfway through POST before shutting off. Really weird.

The flashing is generated from the WPCE775 chip, I think - many HP models have similar problems with the "5 flashing caps lock" problem, where it refuses to boot but all voltages appear to be present. In that case it's also generated from the same chip.

I think this one might be difficult to track down.
    Dell E7450 | i5-5300U | 16GB DDR3 | 256GB SSD

Comment

Originally posted by robrock1 View Post
      i also checked the voltages i can't find anything, seems all the voltages are there. the interessting thing is, the laptop is working the post is running its detecting the memory, you can see the screen flashing, like it wants to come on but then the orange light is shutting it down, but the system itself is working, maybe its a false alarm like some signal is not getting through. Should we try and update the bios here?
      that happen to me when the tokin was on before i repair it

its like it try to power on but he can`t (pull the shock on petrol car)
      Just cook it! It's already broken.

Comment

I've just had a thought. It feels to me like it's being hard-powered off, much like the power button, and that this isn't being caused by something BIOS-related.

So I've delved into the schematic and found something called "KILL_SWCH#". Is it possible it's sending some kind of signal to kill the power? (edit: seems to be connected to the Wifi switch. So no luck there then :/)

I'm sure it's not a data line problem because it wouldn't be able to POST.

I'm still guessing there is a powergood signal missing somewhere.

Comment

There should be some signal to the kbc which is missing or it does not have the correct voltage maybe the next time i get one of those boards i will take my time to check.

Comment

Indeed, but what that signal may be beats me. At least with the 6735s 5-caps issue there are various powergood sources going to the KBC to check. With this one there doesn't seem to be any.

Comment

try replace processor/cpu if one of the slot (RAM) defective

Comment

Originally posted by spleenharvester View Post
                Indeed, but what that signal may be beats me. At least with the 6735s 5-caps issue there are various powergood sources going to the KBC to check. With this one there doesn't seem to be any.
                Have you solved this issue? I've got a similar (if not identical) problem of orange led blinking after a BIOS update.

Comment

Working...
                X