CPU Vcore Repair in Laptops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: CPU Vcore Repair in Laptops

Personally, for this type of bga (cpu + hub) I use a welding machine built by me only for this purpose.
    Over the years I have tried some welding machines in the medium-low price range and I was not satisfied.
    Regarding the gtx960m the problem is dissipation (the constant temperature change is worse than a fixed temperature) ,
    I always recommend (even if it is annoying) to send the fans to 100% during demanding game sessions or rendering processes.
    Some rog allow this setting directly from the keyboard even if a reboot is required to return in auto mode.
    Last edited by jasko_jacker; 09-12-2019, 04:57 AM.

Comment

this is an example of how I modify a cpu to avoid micro bendings. I have used a manual cnc and a piece of aeronautical aluminium.
      I remove the alluminium after solder process is made
      Attached Files
      Last edited by jasko_jacker; 09-12-2019, 05:17 AM.

Comment

An example to decrease the temperature of a pch even if it remains in the range of intel specifications
        Attached Files

Comment

Since Aluminum conducts heat, does it make the chip get hotter than expected in the photo of Post 22, when the BGA machine applies heat from above to the chip?
          Can the Aluminum keep the chip hot for a longer period than expected in the photo of Post 22?
          Last edited by caspian; 09-12-2019, 05:51 AM.

Comment

With right tools and practical experience in replacing BGA chips, any technician can replace the SOC chip. But the real challenge is not replacing the chip but how many customers will be willing to spend the high price of SOC + the labor charge of the technician. In my place, people are not willing to repair the machine if the quote is high. They would more likely dispose the machine and instead prefer to buy a new one. Even normal PCH replacements are rare here. Besides that even experienced technicians can't guarantee that the machine will last for a minimum time since nobody knows the condition of chips sold by the Chinese vendors. They work as is or not work at all. Taking in to consideration of the high risk both the customer and the Technician has to bear, disposing the machine or replacing the board are the possibilities.

Yes, there are lot of non-repairable machines out there due to the issues i pointed earlier. Some technicians i know even quit the repair business and moved to other professions since Laptop repair is not a viable income source anymore - at least in my place. I do repairs except BGA and currently don't have a plan to buy one. I wouldn't make enough return from the machine to justify the cost and is less likely in future too.

May be the picture is different in Europe and USA as there are lot of Apple MacBooks and repairing them yields descent service charge.

Comment

that is right. laptop repair is a business that belongs to big cities. In small cities, it is just a part time job.

Comment

Originally posted by caspian View Post
                Since Aluminum conducts heat, does it make the chip get hotter than expected in the photo of Post 22, when the BGA machine applies heat from above to the chip?
                Can the Aluminum keep the chip hot for a longer period than expected in the photo of Post 22?
                Some brands require this system on motherboards that used, the difference is that the frame is made of steel instead of alluminium but at the temperature reached, after some tests, there are no interfernces with the solder process. The amount of heat that a chip can absorb depends on the system used in the top heater. The use of air, in some respects, is preferable to the use of infrared, because it allows a better heat distribution. Infrared emitters that are used in low-cost commercial stations produce a range of infrared at a frequency that is not the best for the type of materials used. A Bga is made up of a series of materials that have their absorption peak at different frequencies. In the best case, an appropriate frequency (a range of frequencies) must be used to allows good absorption by the alloy balls while it should pass through the resin parts with minimal absorption. These principles are very important when choosing a welding profile becasue some materials will heat up before others and therefore a balance between time and power used is necessary. The subject is very complex and I have problems explaining my point of view in English.
                Last edited by jasko_jacker; 09-12-2019, 01:46 PM.

Comment

Probably. If you have activity on the BIOS CS# pin then the CPU reset signal must be present. And it means the BIOS is starting, but the POST fails. Which could be many things, but most of the times it is either:
                  — BIOS corruption, that's why flashing the BIOS in this situation could help
                  — Dead PCH
                  — Dead CPU

Comment

PCH will read soft straps from SPI ROM before CPU reset signal comes up. So you can see some activity on the SPI ROM CS# pin even though CPU is not running.
                    OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

Working...
                    X