X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 820-3437-B No PP3V3_S5 or PP5V_S4RS3

Originally posted by chris-swe
    Yes, investigation is a bitch
    Gotcha I checked out the SMC area, and it looks pristine. I'm going to poke around and check all the components on PP3V3_S5 under my microscope and see how it goes. If that doesn't give me enough to go on, I may try out the alcohol method (both for me, and the board, haha). I'll post an update when I've got one
    If anyone has other things I should try definitely let me know! Thanks for all the help, guys

Comment

Originally posted by Flippers McCoy View Post
      Gotcha I checked out the SMC area, and it looks pristine. I'm going to poke around and check all the components on PP3V3_S5 under my microscope and see how it goes. If that doesn't give me enough to go on, I may try out the alcohol method (both for me, and the board, haha). I'll post an update when I've got one
      If anyone has other things I should try definitely let me know! Thanks for all the help, guys
      Yeah, DONT use to much alcohol on the board, Drink most of it
      after you checked the caps SMDFlea told you to check, also check out the caps on the for the S5_PWR_EN. Look on page 59..

Comment

IT'S FIXED!!! I saw some smutz on C3280, so I removed it and the short to ground went away! Installed another cap from a donor board and it booted up just fine. Kernel_task was going crazy until I did a PRAM and SMC reset.

Thank you all SO MUCH!! I really appreciate it, this is definitely the most complex board level repair I've ever done, and I definitely would not have been able to do it without all of your help

Comment

GOOD for you!!!
          C3280

BTW
          For the next one. (Yes, there will be more) ;-)
          Dont know what BoardView program you are using. But if you check out Paul Daniels amazing program it will help you a lot.
          Even his free version is way better then tha other old shit out there.
          So, if you now have a short on pp3v3_S5, ctrl+f to search that on the board. then you click on one of the highlighted points. Then you see pp3v3_S5 out to the right in the component spec. Click on that PP3V3_S5 and you will get every singel component name up on the boardview that PP3V3_S5 goes to.
          Start measuring the caps from one side to another, then flip the board and do the same. This way you rule out the caps quite fast.
          If you dont have his program, look it up... PLDaniels dot com
          Last edited by chris-swe; 05-31-2018, 05:49 AM. Reason: Adding tips

Comment

Oh yeah, I've been using openboardview ever since I first started, and it absolutely lives up to it's reputation! It makes it sooo easy to find everything you need, making boardviews one less complicated enigma for me to figure out!

Comment

Well done, you found the needle in the haystack .
              All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

Working...
              X