X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turn 100v X-box 360 adapter into 250v

Somehow I managed to buy my self a US version of a X-box adapter when
    I wanted a EU version.
    Is there any chance for me to "upgrade" it from 100-127v to a 220-250v?
    What would I need for that?
    Attached Files

Re: Turn 100v X-box 360 adapter into 250v

there might a possibility to change the big caps to 400v ... but wait until someone else chimes in .

Comment

100% your responsibility if it explodes as I am not the designer of this, I just hack things to work.

1. Move R01A and R01B to R02A and R02B, respectively.
      2. Remove R03A, R03B, R03C and bin them.
      3. Install two 330K resistors in positions R4A and RAB

I think that's it. The picture is really hard to see, wish it was a little better quality.

And the disclaimer: if it explodes, you keep the pieces of capacitors, NTC, fuses, wires, circuit traces, and burned down house. Not my fault. I hereby warned you about this and it's the standard disclaimer you see on all websites.

Comment

not exactly what I wrote but functionally equivalent

red=remove
        green=add
        blue=change
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by eccerr0r View Post
          100% your responsibility if it explodes as I am not the designer of this, I just hack things to work.

1. Move R01A and R01B to R02A and R02B, respectively.
          2. Remove R03A, R03B, R03C and bin them.
          3. Install two 330K resistors in positions R4A and RAB

I think that's it. The picture is really hard to see, wish it was a little better quality.

And the disclaimer: if it explodes, you keep the pieces of capacitors, NTC, fuses, wires, circuit traces, and burned down house. Not my fault. I hereby warned you about this and it's the standard disclaimer you see on all websites.
          Is that all? just those few items? No need to replace the 200v caps or the transformer. Did not expect changing from 120v to 230v would be that easy.
          I did do as you said, included the picture of the work.
          Also here's a link to high QL pictures of both sides, hope they are good enough, if not let me know what you need. These pictures were taken after the change.
          https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...Ax?usp=sharing

If that's all then it's just to plug it right into the wall and hope the best?

Did not expect any one else then me to take responsibility for those changes
          Attached Files

Comment

use a series old fashioned light bulb first on mains supply ..100w should let it start up .

Comment

Yeah DBT would be good.

Well, assuming the device was working, yeah it looks okay. Just make sure that yellow capacitor is rated for at least 275V, if it's only rated for at least 250V it may be fine. If it's less than 275V you may want to just remove it, definitely remove if less than 240V.

Good luck!

Comment

BTW you may want to insulate the resistors some more if you want to be really safe. I suspect the pads were for surface mount and not have wires jut out close to the other rail. Air resistance gap should be sufficient but can't hurt to have added safety.

Comment

Originally posted by eccerr0r View Post
                  BTW you may want to insulate the resistors some more if you want to be really safe. I suspect the pads were for surface mount and not have wires jut out close to the other rail. Air resistance gap should be sufficient but can't hurt to have added safety.
                  Should I maybe change them for SMD resistors?
                  Is there any wattage sizes on SMD resistors like on the trough hole ones? If so, is there any good way finding out what wattage they are with out schematics of the donation board?

PS.
                  What's DBT

PSS.
                  Finding iridescent bulbs today is harder then spotting unicorns, this this bulb good enough, even if its 57/75w bulb? Picture of it enclosed.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Usually size will tell you if the wattage is enough, though I don't have a direct mapping of what size is what watts. However just be mindful, if all I had were through hole, that's what I'd do too, just need to ensure it's insulated enough for 340VDC - ¼W through hole resistors are usually good for 500V.

And yeah those halogens should be fine though need 28% higher wattage ;-)

Comment

I have plenty of scrap boards, from mobile phones to printers and high voltage boards that were salvaged from some corporation racks.
                      I'll go and check another store tomorrow for higher wattage bulbs, don't know how it's in the US but iridescent bulbs are banned in Europe, but may be sold as heaters lol
                      Last edited by playman; 07-08-2019, 07:10 PM.

Comment

incans are not banned in europe,
                        regular frosted / opaque ones are.
                        clear and decrative and industrial ones arent.

the ones that are pretty easy to find are 40w candle shape lamps.

btw, the one you have is halogen - those are horrible!!!!
                        Last edited by stj; 07-09-2019, 02:46 AM.

Comment

[offtopic]

I'm surprised that halogen is guaranteed for 2 years. There's a similar law in the USA that prohibits sale of general purpose incandescent (once again, specialty are okay, but even clear glass A19 bulbs are not). However the typical halogen has a life guarantee of only 1 year here...

Comment

read the small print,
                            you often get bullshit claims on halogen, flouro and led lamps here,
                            but on the back it states "when used for x hours a day"

Comment

Went to all local shops here that might sell them and no one has seen incandescent bulbs for over 5 years now, all I could find was LED and Halogens, and the 53w ones were the highest.
                              I've only heard that all incandescent bulbs are banned, that started with the ban of 100w bulbs in 2009
                              https://www.spiegel.de/international...-a-638494.html

Any way, I've been unable to find 100w incandescent or halogen, is there anything else that I can do?
                              I have plenty of incandescent bulbs but only 25w and 40w max.

EDIT:
                              Just talked to tow other companies that specialize in lights and electronics and no chance there to get a 100w incandescent or halogen.
                              Last edited by playman; 07-09-2019, 10:23 AM.

Comment

[offtopic]
                                Well how many hours are the EU bulbs rated for, then? The US bulbs are 1000 hour, which is supposedly only 1 year (365 days * 3 hours per day)
                                [/offtopic]

Anyway you may parallel multiple bulbs or use a multi-bulb fixture if you want to ramp up the watts. Two 53W units, a 53W+40W, etc. should do the job. You might be able to run the PSU with no load with a single 53W unit as a test.

Comment

philips cfl's say ten years (bullshit), have to dig one out to get the smallprint.

Comment

[offtopic]
                                    We're talking incandescent bulbs here. CFLs have their own problems.
                                    [/offtopic]

Comment

i have some 40w - will take a look later.

Comment

Screw it, or rather don't screw in a bulb, just plug it straight in and let it fry so we know if it worked or not

Comment

Working...
                                        X