Marantz 1030: Extreme Bias Voltage and Distortion on Left Channel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Marantz 1030: Extreme Bias Voltage and Distortion on Left Channel

Hey all. I have this Marantz model 1030 amplifier with some problems.

Problem 1: Left channel has extreme distortion under any kind of load. If you crank the bass control, it distorts to hell and gone.

Problem 2: When attempting to set the bias voltage for the left channel, it's ENTIRELY too high. The service manual states 7.5mVDC at idle. It won't go below 130mV. The right channel has no distortion and I was able to successfully set it's bias current to 7.5mV.

I think what's going on here is that something is pulling the bias voltage way up on the left channel and when you load that channel down, the high bias voltage causes the transistor to be driven into distortion.

What might be pulling the bias voltage up? Will this kill the transistors in short order?

TIA.

Service Manual: https://cdn.badcaps-static.com/pdfs/...739e9f0da8.pdf
    Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
    RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
    Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
    - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
    - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
    - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
    - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Re: Marantz 1030: Extreme Bias Voltage and Distortion on Left Channel

I would disconnect the speakers (to be safe) and turn down the volume control and start comparing voltages with the working channel. There are just a handful of components to check and it should be quite easy to do that. Pay attention to the transistors H 501-506 and the nearby parts. Also, if you can lift those transistors and check them individually, you should be able to narrow down easily.

Comment

test emitter resistors values ...
      are the outputs running very hot ?

Comment

I think it's a quasi-complementary output stage, so the bias works differently.

To check the transistors I would compare readings between channels (power off, with multimeter on diode test) of the output transistor and driver VBE junctions. Also the bias diode array, if they are high Vf then bias would be high. I think SV-03A brown boat can be replaced by three Vishay 1N4150's in series, for 2.18V at 1mA. More info on them here:
        https://audiokarma.org/forums/index....acement.756284

Rarely, high bias and distortion is from oscillations, if the electrolytics are low value.

Comment

Working...
        X